Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #2161
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
I have never welded anything and thought I would like to learn how. Bought a cheapo 80 amp dc arc welder at harbor freight. Won't do aluminum but will do steel. Says it will do up 1/4 plates ( doesn't seem that thick to me ).

Anyway, just really enjoyed following this thread. I now realize that I should use my welder as a boat anchor and start all over.

But, I will wait. I can't even figure out how to position two pieces together to form a right angle and stay put while I try to lay down a bead !!! I don't think I should try and hold one side with my left hand while guiding the rod with my right....bad idea.

I will check out the Lincoln learning link and see how it goes from there.

Go Larry!
Lots of online tutorials and fabrication forums just waiting to help you...
Old 08-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #2162
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
OK. So, I have to weld a steel plate to cap the opening of this motorcycle tire changer clamp. The opening is about 1 1/4 wide by 1 3/4 long. I purchased a length of steel that I can cut to size.

My questions are:

1) I keep reading that everything needs to be clean, clean, cleaned before welding. Does that mean that I need to remove the paint from the material before I weld the cap to it?

2) I guess this weld is called a "fillet" weld, where I am filling in the edges together? If so, any tips on how to secure the plate to the cap opening so I can run a bead? Do I just do a spot weld on the far end just to hold it in place?

3) Any sugggestions?
Attached Images

"I've never met a man on his deathbed who wished he had spent more time at the office"
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #2163
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
OK. So, I have to weld a steel plate to cap the opening of this motorcycle tire changer clamp. The opening is about 1 1/4 wide by 1 3/4 long. I purchased a length of steel that I can cut to size.

My questions are:

1) I keep reading that everything needs to be clean, clean, cleaned before welding. Does that mean that I need to remove the paint from the material before I weld the cap to it?

2) I guess this weld is called a "fillet" weld, where I am filling in the edges together? If so, any tips on how to secure the plate to the cap opening so I can run a bead? Do I just do a spot weld on the far end just to hold it in place?

3) Any sugggestions?
yep, needs to be clean and definitely no paint, get a 4" angle grinder and a cup brush for it and you can clean the steel up and remove the paint quickly....also get some welding magnets to hold things steady until you can do a tack or two

victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #2164
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
yep, needs to be clean and definitely no paint, get a 4" angle grinder and a cup brush for it and you can clean the steel up and remove the paint quickly....also get some welding magnets to hold things steady until you can do a tack or two

Be sure to have a good soild grip on the grinder and expecting it to 'kik back' cause it will.

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke
fxstbiluigi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #2165
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,642
Not only that but they often throw off wire bristles. Be sure to wear a leather apron, gloves, and most importantly eye protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstbiluigi View Post
Be sure to have a good soild grip on the grinder and expecting it to 'kik back' cause it will.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #2166
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
Not only that but they often throw off wire bristles. Be sure to wear a leather apron, gloves, and most importantly eye protection.
and never use one handed, I foolishly tried that and wirebrushed the other gloveless hand I was holding the work with and got a very nasty wound....have caught a few thrown bristles below neck level (they will go through jeans) and that was not too bad but I always wear a full face shield
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #2167
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,781
And when you're using a grinding wheel........... becareful where all them sparks go cause they will start a fire.

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke
fxstbiluigi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #2168
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,769
Quote:

My questions are:

3) Any sugggestions?

Or:

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #2169
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Or:

Those numbers have to be off by at least a factor of 10. Did you perhaps mean cm?
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:30 AM   #2170
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,393
No one can weld "through " paint. WHATEVER it takes to remove the paint is fine. Sandpaper, a file, grinder, or sometimes I burn it off with a torch then wire brush. A couple of small tacks then let er have it. If your piece fits properly then the joint will be called an outside corner weld. Show pics when done please.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2011, 05:34 AM   #2171
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,514
Quote:

My questions are:

Yes and no, If you don't care how the weld turns out and it is not structural then you only need to take a little paint off if you are using a Mig or stick welder. If you want a nice looking weld, it has to be able to hold a load reliably or you want to TIG weld it, it needs to be very clean.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:26 AM   #2172
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Those numbers have to be off by at least a factor of 10. Did you perhaps mean cm?
, uh huh.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #2173
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
A couple of small tacks then let er have it. If your piece fits properly then the joint will be called an outside corner weld. Show pics when done please.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk
Why do I get the feeling that my welding skills are going to wind up being the subject of the days entertainment ?

"I've never met a man on his deathbed who wished he had spent more time at the office"
Old 08-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #2174
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Or:

Jim
I saw this but I don't have the top cap into which I can insert the screw that holds the plastic piece in place. That's why I'm having to do this welding thing...

Old 08-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #2175
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post

+ 1 on the illustration. Thanks,

By the way, I'm confused. Does the ground cable that comes from the welder have to be attached to the actual piece i am welding or can I attach it to ANY metal surface?