Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #2221
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Oddometer: 833
Get a cheap MIG for tacking if you have to but with the proper clamps and setup, you can easily tack with a TIG. I have both but always go to the TIG.
DB
Davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #2222
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
Thx for the welding advise guys.....

I'm also thinking of shapes for the aux rear fuel tanks and i can see that most of the Rally kits offer the below shaped tanks, most notably Mecasystems and i love these shapes. I know that the simplest and easiest shape would be a squared off one with two sheets of metal joined by a flat strip in the middle and weld them all up. But this tank is too beautifull to forget...

sorry for a non welding question, but what Al-alloy are the above tanks made of ? is it possible to form such shapes by a hobby guy without expensive equipment like presses/moulds ? what kind of process is followed to form such shapes ?

I am assuming that these tanks, the above one for eg, is made by welding two halves stamped out of sheet metal (Al alloy of some kind) ?

thx
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #2223
Davebert
Too damn serious!

There are only a few aluminum types that are considered "weldable". They are probably using 6061 as it is weldable and also corrosion resistant. Of course it could easily be some other 6000 series aluminum but 6061 is very common.
DB
Old 09-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #2224
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
Is it possible to form such shapes by a hobby guy without expensive equipment like presses/moulds ? what kind of process is followed to form such shapes ?
It depends how far you want to go,a good part of a tank like that could be done on a shot bag with a suitable former like the screw top (valve protector) off a oxygen bottle and handle welded to it.
You would then form the shape you wanted with the alloy plate over the shot bag.
There are also hammer forms and bucks.
I bought the Ron Fournier book in the 1990's.
Very informative.

http://www.fournierenterprises.com/About%20FENT.html

Books

http://www.fournierenterprises.com/cart/home.php?cat=1

Once you can weld/fabricate,if you add sheet metal and machining,the possibilities are endless.

Look up hydro forming also.
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #2225
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,116
I was taught in school the basics of welding. Then on my own I practiced at my own pace. I oxy/acet weld both (fusion and filler), then arc and now I do MIG. The next step is TIG but the welder set up is out of my price range. Hell "My" MIG is a flux core unit but the Hobart and Miller (yes I know they are the same company) MIGs I use at work are what I weld 99% of the time. I'm no expert but you can learn to weld on your own. Find the books or internet material to learn basics and tecniques and practice. I did not learn MIG is the class other than how to set up the machine and run a couple of beads of weld. I did more gas welding than arc too.

Here is a question for the experts.

Trying to modify a set of R1 mufflers to fit my 83' Nighthawk (no aftermarket). After cutting them I see they are actually titanium and not stainless as I thought. Now I cannot weld this. All my reasearch stated that it must be welded in a 100% arcon atmosphere. ie..sealed welding cabinet. For an exhaust system is this an acurate fact or just precaution. I did run a bead of stainless down a scrap piece of pipe with a TIG and it is a nice looking weld but will a TIG weld done outside of a cabinet (and with the correct ti rod) hold and not be brittle? I'm trying to find a shop close by that can make 4 small welds for me on these mufflers so I can ride my bike again.

Thanks
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #2226
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 487
Bench Welding Ti

Yes, you can bench weld Ti, use a large cup, low amps, the correct wire, run the post flow longer than usual...and leave the area covered with argon.

One other thng, you don't want to put the mufflers in a "strained" position, make sure the mounting bolt holes line up without pressure to make them line up. Most of the repairs I make on Ti exhausts are caused by misaligned mounts.
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #2227
Davebert
Too damn serious!

If you can it also helps to set up an argon purge on the inside of the pipe if that is what you are welding. I never welded any Ti but it can be bench welded without the sealed cabinet as long as there is plenty of pre and post argon coverage.
DB
Old 09-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #2228
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebert View Post
If you can it also helps to set up an argon purge on the inside of the pipe if that is what you are welding. I never welded any Ti but it can be bench welded without the sealed cabinet as long as there is plenty of pre and post argon coverage.
DB

Ditto what Davebert said, I do sometimes leave out the obvious...like tying my shoes...oh wait I wear cowboy boots...LOL
Old 09-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #2229
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,995
Quote:
Would it be possible to weld a steel 1045 or C45 steel rear sprocket using tig and have successful results? I was thinking I could take the inner ring from one sprocket and the outer ring from another sprocket, and weld them together. The final result would be a pitch change that would effectively take the inner section of one sprocket (520 pitch that fits hub) and change the outer to a 428 pitch (to match oem) on a rear brake conversion. I could buy a kiln if needed for pre and post heat treatment but before I do that I thought I would ask for advice. I can buy custom aluminum rear sprockets all day long but nobody makes/sells steel custom sprockets except the snake doctor.
Thanks,
DB
1045 is a higher carbon steel. You will need to heat it up so high that it will soften the whole sprocket in order to keep it from cracking when the welds cool. You are probably wasting your time. I would just go buy a new sprocket. Or machine a new one out of 1045 and dont weld on it.

I would hesitate to recommend even a seasoned welder to do what you are trying.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.

KTM640Dakar screwed with this post 09-21-2011 at 07:52 PM
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #2230
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar View Post
1045 is a high carbon steel. You will need to heat it up so high that it will soften the whole sprocket in order to keep it from cracking when the welds cool. You are probably wasting your time. I would just go buy a new sprocket. Or machine a new one out of 1045 and dont weld on it.

I would hesitate to recommend even a seasoned welder to do what you are trying.
Hi,
1045 is a medium carbon steel. Benesesso says it should be fine to weld as long as the pre and post heat are done. He has given me the info on the times/temps to do so. I have done a lot more reading and research and I have even purchased the so called correct rod (ER80S-D2) for the job. Of course I will do some destructive testing before actually using the sprocket. I wish I could just find the pre-machined blanks where they had the teeth and I could do the rest. I have a mill but not a CNC mill. I already have an aluminum sprocket but want a steel one for longevity in the sand. I did find one blank but the inner hole for the hub and the bolt holes come fairly close to the teeth so I am still looking for a larger circumference or more tooth count sprocket. Thanks for your concern and your words of wisdom. I take all warnings seriously.
Thanks,
DB
Old 09-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #2231
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

You could have the centers either EDM or WaterJet cut out...then machine them to size, I have done it with some custom offset front sprockets, they weld and work just fine.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:17 PM   #2232
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
1045 is a medium carbon steel.DB
Sure is.

That reminded me, I just sent you the last part of my writeup.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #2233
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Hi,
1045 is a medium carbon steel. Benesesso says it should be fine to weld as long as the pre and post heat are done. He has given me the info on the times/temps to do so. I have done a lot more reading and research and I have even purchased the so called correct rod (ER80S-D2) for the job. Of course I will do some destructive testing before actually using the sprocket. I wish I could just find the pre-machined blanks where they had the teeth and I could do the rest. I have a mill but not a CNC mill. I already have an aluminum sprocket but want a steel one for longevity in the sand. I did find one blank but the inner hole for the hub and the bolt holes come fairly close to the teeth so I am still looking for a larger circumference or more tooth count sprocket. Thanks for your concern and your words of wisdom. I take all warnings seriously.
Thanks,
DB
I understand what you are trying to do. Might I suggest just getting a custom sprocket made? I don't know what type of bike you are working on, but I needed a sprocket to take 530 pitch chain with a ktm 950 hub patttern. With 140 hp, I can't imagine many bikes that would be harder on a chain than my fz1 motor. It's made from 7075 aluminum and holding up great. Cost was about $80 which isn't to much more than a regular one.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #2234
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroAcres View Post
You could have the centers either EDM or WaterJet cut out...then machine them to size, I have done it with some custom offset front sprockets, they weld and work just fine.
Nitro,
I was going to cut them on my lathe. I haven't found anyone local with an EDM or WaterJet machine. I sure wish I had a WaterJet machine but I think they are about $250,000 new. If I had one I could just make the sprocket too. Does an EDM machine leave the same hardened edge like a plasma cutter? I would assume so. What kind of customization do you do to a front sprocket? Just add a spacer? Kind of hard to broach I would think so you must be offsetting the whole sprocket, not doing what I am planning.
DB
Old 09-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #2235
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
Sure is.

That reminded me, I just sent you the last part of my writeup.
Got it. Thanks Benesesso. Don't forget the quiz.
DB