User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #2266
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,348
Sorry my camera wasn't up to the task

Yesterday I saw a license plate from Weld count, Colorado. It was a vanity plate, just saying "NO SE". The result was
NO SE
WELD

I really wanted to post a picture of it here.

("No se" means "I don't know")
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #2267
dan0
just going with it.

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by kioti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
I just got the outlet installed for my welder. And made a couple practice welds on some metal I got free from a friend. I know I should clean the metal better before welding, I was excited to get going and didn't really clean much.

Would anyone care to critique my attempts?
Practice makes perfect, not that I'm perfect but have made a living welding for the last 35 years
Threw some scrap on the table and did a couple wire feed quickie passes to kinda give you an idea what to shoot for.

Horizontal
Thanks for the demo piece Kioti.

I've been busy on some other things recently but hope to clean up some more metal and get out to the garage in the next couple days for some more.
dan0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #2268
stubmw
some what aloof

Oddometer: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcguide View Post
Junk. The salesman is as bad as a used car salesman. Good luck with product support. I have much more info if you want
OK one nay
Please tell me more, anyone else?

Scott
You would be taking a big risk to save a buck. I supose there are people who have bought one of these china men welders and had them work just fine. However, there problems are well documented and not un-common that they never even work straight out of the box or fail very shortly. There was a video making the rounds a couple of years ago were some guy finally smashed his with a sledge hammer he was so frustrated with it not working.
Even if you got lucky and got one that worked OK, would be a hassle to get parts/consummables for it.

Guess it comes down to is the risk worth it to you?

I would suggest going over to weldingweb.com and snoop around. Warning the place can be alittle rough, kinda like here. I don't get over there much any more and I think the site owners/mods may have been getting the shits over the flame wars that would start over this subject. Also the two big importers of are now "paid sponsers" of the site and my have the ability to supress things dont know.
stubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #2269
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
Stubmw I was a mod at welding web for years.

Snake oil salesmen for most of the Chinese welders. Nuff said
Old 10-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #2270
stubmw
some what aloof

Oddometer: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post

That would be enough to convince me.

Now that my memory has been jarred I remember your cell tower thread! Great stuff, in fact I was last person to post in that thread.
stubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #2271
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKJ View Post
I think you missed this part in your critique. NICE work!
I was commenting on dan0's post, not kioti's. kioti can clearly make a solid weld.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #2272
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:

My company began building Welders in China for the Chinese market. It was not long until copies of the unit (made in a government pirate factory)began showing up with the same serial number on all of them. The Chinese copied everything and didnt know to sequence the serial numbers on the machines. A bunch of them showed up at the Essen Germany welding show and they made every Chinese booth at the show leave.

The Chinese are theives. Im sure they will stand behind their warranty.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.

KTM640Dakar screwed with this post 10-15-2011 at 08:24 PM
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #2273
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
Thinking of buying this and the aluminum spool gun for $520 plus tax. Anyone have any experience with these or a connection for a coupon code?

I talked to the guys at Praxair that sell these and they have great response and zero complaints on the ones they have sold.

Welder
http://www.gts-welco.com/gts-welco.aspx?pcid=352&ptid=1

Spool gun
http://www.gts-welco.com/gtsweldssto...l.aspx?ID=2040

Another thread I started on another board with some hands on knowledge of this welder.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1013404

Looking to get a welder over the winter and honestly I am way out of touch with welders anymore. I owned a Hobart Handler 175 probably 8 years ago and sold it after only 2 years of use due to a rough divorce, sued and lots of life BS.

Chances of this building a full tube rig or the like is not even on the radar. I am more into bikes now. So I am talking the occasional set of handlebars, headers and adding some beef to my utility trailer and general around the house fixes.

I honestly think a 110V unit would be plenty with the capability to use gas but would like to hear from others. If I can find a deal on a 220 I will snag it, but do not feel that it is needed for my limited usage and what I am using it for.

Is Hobart and Miller still the "same" as they were back when I owned mine? Lincoln is also a consideration.

Bang for the buck is key here.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #2274
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
I recommend220 volt. 110 v. Will do MOST of what you want. Aaluminum takes much more.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #2275
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
I recommend220 volt. 110 v. Will do MOST of what you want. Aaluminum takes much more.
Like I said, 220V would be nice, but really not needed and the aluminum I would never be thicker than 0.120" and likely thinner than that.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #2276
tundrawolf
Desert Rat V Star

Oddometer: 313
I bought a Westward welder (Made in Italy) to replace the Lincoln unit I traded for a car. The Westward was purchased sight unseen hastily to complete a wrought iron fencing job. The first day of the job I ended up touching the always hot tip of the torch to the work and creating a momentary weld which I quickly broke off. Apparently it was enough to fry one of the diodes, because shortly after that the welder began to buzz like I was welding (I was not welding) and get hot enough to smell like the transformers inside it were getting way too hot.

I promptly pulled the plug. I tried to remove the faulty diode from the circuit but I was unable to resume welding. It turns out the heat sinks used are merely aluminum plates with no fan to cool them. The diodes are T-25 press in units, and it uses 8 in total, one matched (I assume anyway) pair assuming each of 4 parts in a full wave bridge rectification scheme. I believe each diode was 25 amp rated, for a 50 amp pair.

Here are some pictures:

This is the diode:

Here is the rectification assembly:

I quickly tried using a Radio Shack rectifier to replace a similarly rated diode. It didn't work. In hindsight that is probably because I didn't fully understand how the little conductive plates went in proper order to create full wave bridge rectification.

Here is the schematic I came up with. This one was incorrect.

I knew if I was going to use this welder I was going to have to engineer a solution. The welds I had done up until the diode blew were actually some of the best I had done, it was a very easy to use machine that produced high quality welds. It didn't seem to have any of the feed problems that plagued the Lincoln welders I, and many oithers had owned.

So I bought 2 large heat sinks off of ebay, and 4 75 amp diodes (To replace the 8 25 amp diodes, giving me a little more squish room). The cost was small, less than $100, I don't remember exactly.

On the heat sinks I had to remove some small areas around the fins, and create a place where a nut could be recessed inside the heat sink itself, as well as a washer.

I experimented with different Dremel bits and finally decided that the tile cutting bit was best. All bits worked to a varying degree, and all bits were pretty slow.

I had to create a flower pattern or something like that with the tip of the tile cutting bit. It took a long time. But the nuts fit well inside the pattern.

Here's the other side. And yes, I used a high quality thermo conducting silver compound.

After much finagling, and the use of a micro butane torch to solder the 10 gauge stranded wire to the conductive plates, I ended up with a full wave bridge rectifier.

I had to re-arrange the transformers inside the welder to accommodate the (much) larger rectifier. I also installed a fan to cool the whole thing. I got some fiberglass food service trays from the food ministry where I work and used them to electrically isolate the rectifier assembly from the welders steel frame. It worked out very well IMO.

And, what is that saying? The pudding is the proof?

On high setting, here I welded two fairly thick stove pot spacer things together. It actually melted through the 3/8" thick steel.

And finally the welding work I did on the decks. I had to use a total of 75' of extension cords to not get it to blow through the thin Chinese steel. There was quite a disparity in thickness between the steels.

Edit: It's a 110V welder. It's more than adequate for the majority of what I do. I was welding fence posts in a horse corral with it via a generator a few hours ago.

tundrawolf screwed with this post 10-22-2011 at 01:43 PM Reason: It's a 110V welder.
tundrawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #2277
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
is it ok to weld chromoly tubing with a mig welder that has flux core steel wire?
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:50 AM   #2278
DaBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrawolf View Post
I knew if I was going to use this welder I was going to have to engineer a solution.
Good job. I thought I was the only one modifying the hell out of an old machine instead of buying the appropriate stuff

(DC TIG with air-cooled WP17-style torch to AC/DC TIG with more compact WP20-style watercooled torch)

Throwing things away is easy, fix what you have is better.
DaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #2279
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,270
Tundrawolf, Did you put a contractor controller in so that it is not "always hot"

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #2280
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
Yes, if you're a good welder. Very easy to get slag in there.
thank you! i thought it was ok but wanted to ask first.
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote