Old 12-13-2011, 03:21 AM   #2326
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,400
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I'm shopping for Plasma cutters...

I have maybe a dumb question. I need to replace some rusted 1/8" plate.

would it be possible (plausible/advisable/dumb?) to just c-clamp a new piece on top, and then use a plasma cutter to cut the old and the new together at the same time and then just weld it in?

Seems like you could do pretty complicated shapes really quickly if it can be done, but also seems too good to be true so
Works quite well. I do it a lot.

Plasma will stack cut, Cutting torch (oxy acet) will not.

David :)
Old 12-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #2327
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Works quite well. I do it a lot.

Plasma will stack cut, Cutting torch (oxy acet) will not.

David :)
Damn! You just costed me a grand I think.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #2328
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 1,989
any of you experts have suggestions for some simple holiday gifts of metal? I was thinking about mitering some picture frames, but I don't know how I'd keep the glass and pic in place.

thanks!
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #2329
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,982
constructive criticism wanted

I have access to a mig welder (lincoln powermig 200) for the first time, so I'm trying to teach myself how to put down some decent welds before I start any real projects. I used to do a fair bit of gas welding (self taught, but I thought I did ok), and I've used a tig welder and a mig welder for less than an hour each before. I took a few cell phone pics of my welds today, second practice session, and I wanted some feedback.

I'm starting with the recommendations on the case lid: 1/8" steel, .035 wire, 75/25 gas, wire speed 240, voltage D. From there, I usually find myself raising the voltage to E to get a weld that looks good to me, for fillet welds. for welds on the flat, I liked my results when I turned the wire speed down to around 200, and I got a flatter, better melted weld.

Thanks for any help!

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #2330
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,197
Those are some pretty good lookin welds. It looks like you need to work a little bit on keeping your pace steady, especially through to the end. Don't get excited just cause you're about to finish.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #2331
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Those are some pretty good lookin welds. It looks like you need to work a little bit on keeping your pace steady, especially through to the end. Don't get excited just cause you're about to finish.
I miss having the control of the gas torch that would let me slow up and make it pretty at the end, or around corners. . . . guess I just need to get better at this though. And the wire feed is so flippin fast compared to gas. . . . pretty nice for when you're actually trying to get something done.

ktm
old bmw
others
Old 12-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #2332
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,824

Hey Zak, how's it going man!

Those welds do look good. Do you have a bandsaw to cut through one and take a look? You know, to see how well the parent material fused. Cut through and grind back the cut a little, or cut through and soak the end in Muriatic Acid (in the pool chemicals section.)

Reach over and turn the amps or wire speed down. Or stop the bead before the end and do a short 'finishing' weld starting from the end and working back.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #2333
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer: 609
I've had two sessions playing with my gasless mig. The first yesterday was shameful as I decided to foolishly keep the feed rate too slow so I could try and ease into it, All it did was manage to spit and spatter as the arc ate the wire faster than it was being fed out, I wouldn't even class that attempt as welding.

This afternoon i dragged it out again and had a second shot at it after reading up more about what to do & what to look for (this gave a good idea about what i was doing right and wrong in all aspects of the task.)

I eventually figured out the two things I was doing wrong, Firstly I could just not get the feed rate right as I hadn't been aware of what to look for, I think I've come close to figuring this out. Secondly I was not doing the job slowly enough, and thusly was not letting the metal pool sufficiently to be able to work it's magic. Sure I've got some spatter, but i think that's quite possibly part & parcel with using a gasless mig.

Click for higher res picture

I know it's not that fantastic, i know i need to work on keeping a bit more of a steady hand, these 5 were quickly done after i ground off my abhorrent old welds so that i could put these new ones on without showing the shame of my spattery disgusting first attempts. Any suggestions for improvement, I'm all ears.
mike-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #2334
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Would it be correct to guess that your weld begins at the top of the picture, and you finished your runs at the bottom of the pic?
Old 12-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #2335
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,849
IMHO you are too cold and too slow
Old 12-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #2336
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw
Would it be correct to guess that your weld begins at the top of the picture, and you finished your runs at the bottom of the pic?
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
IMHO you are too cold and too slow
Too cold, possibly. I was only running at 80amps when I was doing the welds, more importantly the steel was 1cm thick offcuts i was given, something I think i will have a bit of trouble with given my mig's capacity. Also I was running slow to try and make sure the welds formed correctly. Two things that practice will help improve. Thanks for the 2c.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #2337
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

What Strong Bad said, but I'll add not just that you're a little slow, but that you need to keep an even pace throughout the weld. I was always taught that the only way you should be able to tell between the start & end of a weld is by which directions the coins stack.

I.e., that pooling at the end means that now you've got the opposite issue you had before. Now you're tarrying too long at the finish.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #2338
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

I admit i quickly threw those welds down so that i had something to show/get feedback on as I was running out of garage time. I know i need to do less rushing (the reason for inconsistent thickness of the weld) and be more thorough.

I also think that i may have my auto-visor set to too-dark a setting as it's bloody hard to see what's happening, which isn't helping things either.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:49 AM   #2339
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,400
One cm = .39". Too thick for your machine. Going slow puts more heat into the plate. Do not rush, its a skill or an art. Consistency counts. Draw a line and try to follow it.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #2340
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Hey Zak, how's it going man!

Those welds do look good. Do you have a bandsaw to cut through one and take a look? You know, to see how well the parent material fused. Cut through and grind back the cut a little, or cut through and soak the end in Muriatic Acid (in the pool chemicals section.)

Reach over and turn the amps or wire speed down. Or stop the bead before the end and do a short 'finishing' weld starting from the end and working back.

I've got some metal cutting tools around, including a bandsaw. Maybe I'll practice a bit more, then try cutting some welds apart. And I've seen enough good welders work that I know that reaching over and turning down the settings is not the preferred way to end a weld on a mig machine.

ktm
old bmw
others