Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #2506
small_e_900
Amanda carried it

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar View Post
You dont get it because your not the person who is out of a welder for three weeks. Service is part of the deal. He is right about Miller trying to keep there products competitive and using lower cost manufacturing contries.

If anyone needs help fixing a made in the USA Lincoln welder please let me know. I might also be able to help anyone looking to buy a new Lincoln Electric welder. Or at least hook you up with a good deal. Just let me know where you live.

It could just have easily been a defective switch on a Lincoln Welder that he had to wait a few weeks for.

I stand by the statement that one bad switch is not an indictment of the company's whole line.

I have no idea where either company's welders are manufactured, but odds are good that none of them are 100% American content.
Besides, that doesn't guarantee that no parts will ever fail.

Unlike you, I have no dog in this fight.

I have Lincoln at home and use Miller at work and they're all better machines than I am a weldor.
small_e_900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #2507
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,420
Lincoln and Tweeco have contacts for a switch that I can bend and adjust for a hair trigger or not. I have not had to replace one in 20 years. I have replaced one or two micro switches in other torches, No big deal.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #2508
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
As you're a Lincoln Electric employee, please post where they source their materials (or top level assemblies) from to produce their current product line. That is only fair to the USA based Miller company (and ADVriders), as you tend to bash Miller.

Having dealt w/ both Miller and Lincoln on numerous occasions, I've always found Miller employees less prone to bash their competitors.

Thanks,
Carl
Drink a cup of tea Carl. Welders are made in Euclid Ohio and our electrodes are made in Mentor Ohio and Texas is spelled Texas...Carl. I'm not bashing any Miller employee only you. If you read this thread you would have already read that. I am just trying to help out people who want to know more about welding. Yes I am a Lincoln Electric engineer and yes I am much better answering questions about Lincoln equipment. If you don't want to add anything postitive to this thread aside than trolling then please don't.

There is always a Carl.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #2509
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by small_e_900 View Post
It could just have easily been a defective switch on a Lincoln Welder that he had to wait a few weeks for.

I stand by the statement that one bad switch is not an indictment of the company's whole line.

I have no idea where either company's welders are manufactured, but odds are good that none of them are 100% American content.
Besides, that doesn't guarantee that no parts will ever fail.

Unlike you, I have no dog in this fight.

I have Lincoln at home and use Miller at work and they're all better machines than I am a weldor.
Small e 900. I ment no offense by my prior post to you. Text has a way of not conveying tone well. And it was not ment to be negative.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #2510
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Drink a cup of tea Carl. Welders are made in Euclid Ohio and our electrodes are made in Mentor Ohio and Texas is spelled Texas...Carl. I'm not bashing any Miller employee only you. If you read this thread you would have already read that. I am just trying to help out people who want to know more about welding. Yes I am a Lincoln Electric engineer and yes I am much better answering questions about Lincoln equipment. If you don't want to add anything postitive to this thread aside than trolling then please don't.

There is always a Carl.

Lincoln machines sold here in the UK I think are built in Eastern Europe...............strange that those sold in the US are made in the US, as I would have thought unit costs would be much higher than those in Eastern Europe, which would mean retail prices would need to be higher, or profit margin a lot lower?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #2511
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
I am just trying to help out people who want to know more about welding. Yes I am a Lincoln Electric engineer and yes I am much better answering questions about Lincoln equipment..
You guys got anything that will run with the Dyasty700 yet? I would sure like to give one a try if you do, just to compare Red/Blue...although I do lean toward the BlueBias side...
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #2512
Carl

Oddometer: 761
Quote:

There is always a Carl.
You use ADVrider to sel/promote Lincoln products. You then respond to a neutral and courteous written post w/ your immature and unprofessional drivel.

Also, my post said you bash the competitors, as in their products. You assumed it meant employees.

The beverage I won't drink is Lincoln Electric kOOl-aid!

Carl

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #2513
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
...I lost three irreplaceable weekends working on my custom street tracker...
Got a build thread? I love build threads. Here's mine
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #2514
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Bluhduh Tracker build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
Got a build thread? I love build threads. Here's mine
Nice work building your fuel tank!

No build log until it is finished.
Then I will put up all the pictures
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #2515
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

I wonder if "American" made welding sets are heading in the same direction as Snap On tools, with an awful lot of items now made in the Far East, and not really comparable to American made tools?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #2516
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
I purchased a Snap On YA-212A welder from a buddy in the fall of '10, which I posted about in this thread. Asked a few questions, that kind of thing.

I built a new power cord for it, removed the side panels & blew it all out, bought a big spool of .035 ER70S6.

This summer, I wired an outlet for it in the garage.

A week and a half ago, I bought a Q-sized cylinder of C-25, hooked it up, plugged the welder in, verified its safe & correct function, and started to learn how to use it.

After an hour and a half or so, I had started to get some really satisfying results, and had started to feel pretty comfortable with the technique, if not my knowledge of machine settings.

I had an absolute blast figuring out the basics of something I have wanted to learn for the last 15 years. Went out & got drunk to celebrate that, in fact.

I may have trouble maintaining focus, but I did have fun finally trying that welder out.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread & the confidence it resulted in.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #2517
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I wonder if "American" made welding sets are heading in the same direction as Snap On tools, with an awful lot of items now made in the Far East, and not really comparable to American made tools?
Pop open any machine and read where the components on the circuit cards are made (IF they actually say) or just look on the cards themselves...even my old P&H Chemtron TIG has parts made OffShore, just like my Millers and Linclons have...Kinda like that "American Made Motorcycle"..
Old 03-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #2518
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Obviously most things have component parts made in other countries. I was thinking more along the lines where the whole thing is made somewhere else, but there is an illusion as to it being made in the US, UK or where ever.

A good example of this would be present day Triumph motorcycles, some of which are made entirely in Thailand, with most other parts also being made there. Do buyers of Triumph bikes know where they are actually made I wonder, or they do they have the view they are "British" bikes in the same way as Harleys are thought of as "American" made?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #2519
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Miller, is as Made in the USA as it gets these days.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #2520
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Lincoln machines sold here in the UK I think are built in Eastern Europe...............strange that those sold in the US are made in the US, as I would have thought unit costs would be much higher than those in Eastern Europe, which would mean retail prices would need to be higher, or profit margin a lot lower?
European Union has regulations for where their products come from (i.e. the motherland, if you will). It's. Not surprising that Lincolns machines are made there. Where the components are made, that's a good question. If domestic Lincoln is comprised of domestic parts, I bey they're not coming from China.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote