Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #2536
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Thanks NA. From that shot the mill marks are visible on the lower diameter.
Really nice looking welds. Is that back purged, with no filler?
.030 wire...small vgroove..thru chuck purge using a T-200 turntable, w older Dynasty300.
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #2537
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,864

Turntable or no, that's some good work.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #2538
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroAcres View Post
I'm guessing you back-gas that. Even with back gas, I have a lot of problems with oxidation on stainless. Can you tell me what kind of cup and flow rate you use?
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #2539
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
I'm guessing you back-gas that. Even with back gas, I have a lot of problems with oxidation on stainless. Can you tell me what kind of cup and flow rate you use?
#8 cup, 1/16 Gas lens, Series20 torch, Argon @ 15 CFH
Inside is full closed purge @ 5 CFH.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #2540
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
anyone have any jigs or tips for accurate 90 degree angles?

angle welding clamps look nice but are pretty expensive: http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-WSM-9-7.../dp/B0006694FA

I found one tip online of someone using a three axis bracket, like a simpson strong tie or similar, that looked like it may work with some clamping.
no good tricks of the trade for the noob?
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #2541
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,790
Quote:
Those clamps usually work pretty well. If you're going to build something rectangular you'll want to tack up each corner first and measure in both diagonals to be sure they are equal before making your final weld. The more accuracy that is required, the more tacks you will have to do.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #2542
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,124
Quote:
It's going to move when you weld so get it close, weld and then bang it true.

That's whay we have hammers.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #2543
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,005
Quote:
Single pass...100% penetration joint in 316L Stainless....bottom is machined part of the housing.

Lots of years under the helmet...I was just trying to get the thread back on topic and off the political BS and petty purse fighting...:)

I am a newbie but that is amazing.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #2544
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,545
Quote:
Single pass...100% penetration joint in 316L Stainless....bottom is machined part of the housing.

WOW
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:53 AM   #2545
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Well, I'm a total noob so take what I say with that in mind.

I was using a dewalt cordless grinder, which I thought was pretty damned cool.

But I have a lot of welding to do (bought a steel boat) and so I decided to splurge and buy a 'real' grinder.
Now that sounds like a really fun project. Got any picture of the entire boat? Too bad you are on the other side of the country.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #2546
Pike Bishop
Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer: 10,029
Pretty work NitroAcres.
Pike Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #2547
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,337
Nice welding there, Nitro.

We have plenty of really good stainless welders at work. We don't do any fab table work, we weld pipe and field weld it in ignorant positions in the wind, snow, and rain.

I have gone through about 15 X-ray alloy welders and so far I have two gun-slingers.

One local hand and one from Kansas. The very first day I had the Kansas hand on my crew, he asked for some crazy gear. A high pressure regulator for his purge, a lot of big wire... I put the hotshot on 317, which welds like hogshyte. Once I looked at the weld with QC, I took my hood out of my headache shack, put in truck and took it home. It looked like jewelry. Only jewlry welded up 30 feet in the air off a scaffold. Next to him I look like a monkey.

The other local fellow has always had nice welds. They look like an automatic did them.

I know pretty doesn't always shoot, but these two are remarkable. I just had them welding Alloy 20 and 347 super stainless last week. If I get a chance I'll post some photos. Some of the alloy 20 is 1" and 3/4" open butt. Watching the local fellow freehand those welds in position is something.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #2548
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

I am to old and tired to hang 50' in the air off a rope these days, I will leave that to the YoungBucks,I had my fill of working in the shipyard and outdoors when I was young, and after 36yrs under the hood I still enjoy it, just on a different scale these days.
I enjoy working in my shops and going from job to job, one day it is all Stainless, the next Aluminum, and a pc or two of Ti or C22...keeps things from getting boring...I do alittle MilSpec work, some A3, some Medical, whatever keeps the bills paid.. and I seem to always have some sort of race bike in the shop...:)

One thing I still cant figure out, you got a welder up there doing that kinda work, how do you get all the xray equipment up there to check all the welds..that must be a PIA...??

NitroAcres screwed with this post 03-11-2012 at 10:28 AM
Old 03-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #2549
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,337
Most of the job is fabbed off-site and trucked to location. Those welds are shot at the fab shop. Any changes we have to do in the tent may or may not need to be shot. They X-ray everything that's done on the ground while it's ON the ground, to be sure. But some lines are 10% X-ray, some are 20%, and some are 100%.

Then we have to weld all these pieces together. If the welder can lay up there and weld it, they can shoot it. The equipment isn't very big. If you can get a stinger or a torch around it, they have room to shoot it. And it doesn't take very long. The hardest part, to be honest, is getting the time for all those shots. They string the yellow and magenta rope around the area with the radiation symbol on it which means all work has to cease in that area and everyone has to clear out. And they aren't shutting down my welders for a moment. If the X-ray is hot, I call them in at coffee break or at lunch, and they do the bulk of the work-- heat treating and x-ray-- at night, off shift. When the job goes two-shifts, 7 days it becomes much more difficult. The X-ray and heat treat techs here aren't union, and while I don't try and fuck their legs off, I have an absolutely blind ear to any complaints. Their employer does not treat them well and their pay is crap. The turnover is too high for me to get to know them, anyway.

We need every last shot completed before we hydro-test, so weld mapping and QCing are really important. Most of the QC fellows are in your shoes, so to speak. 35 years under the hood, many of them too old and too blind to fight a weld while standing on their heads next to a 400 degree live crude line. And those are the best QCs in my opinion. They know what's excellent, what's good, what's good enough, and who just slapped a turd on it and ground themselves a weld. My welders had a failure rate of under 2%, which is right there. Could have been better.

I've put in carbon, 316L, 317, 347, Alloy 20, 2-chrome and 9-chrome. We just had a small amount of Monel in the last week or so. No one expected it and they didn't even have a procedure so my shop wrote it and qualified it. The only titanium I ever fit was in a little small bore in Alberta, Canada. Injection for the water treatment chemicals, IIRC. It took forever to weld (and not overheat) and it liked to draw a lot.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #2550
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

BobbySands, I always wondered how that worked, thanx for the explanation....post up some pics when you find some, good to see how the other sides of the welding world live. Any radiograph that I have done goes down to a local testing facility..

With a job shop like mine you never know what is coming in so you have to stock wire and materials for a wide variety of work..and machines that can handle the load, I do mainly TIG, rarely MIG and refuse to STICK weld in my shop, I may do it outside if the MIG won't reach...LOL