Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #2581
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Pissed Blind welding is a bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
What did you need to spend for a decent hood? I've been perusing Amazon and looking at models for around a hundred bucks.
Tomorrow I start the week-long machine shop course which is next to the welding shop so I can continue to practice.
I'll ask my instructor if he has any ideas on the visibility thing.
I bought a Miller Elite and I don't remember exactly but I considered it a LOT of money (around $300?)

I originally bought an auto dark helmet on eBay from a seller with great feedback for around $75.
I got that before I bought my welder actually.
It worked great and the Miller Elite wasn't that much better.
The Miller is certainly higher quality plastic, but I still can't see.
I had asked the welding supply about renting a demo model but they don't do that.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I tried the silver Sharpie.
I tried the soapstone.
I have tried every position and direction of welding as well as getting real close (actually I am always very close).
I don't use reading glasses and I make sure both eyes have a clear view.
I have NOT (yet) tried covering the back of the hood to block light coming in from behind.
I will try that next, thanks!

Yesterday I was at it again, welding blind with the lens set at 10.
Made a few nice passes and a couple were even going where I wanted them, but not many.

When I watch the instruction video the steel is clear and obvious just like the arc and puddle.
It looks so easy to monitor speed of travel, tip distance, and both pieces of steel, when you can see everything.
I am guessing they have an auto dark lens for the video camera and it works great.
My work doesn't look like the video at all, it is just all black except for the red/orange arc and puddle.
I really don't think it is the hood, I think it is my eyes, or perhaps my brain not processing anything except the brightest object visible. I do have problems with driving at night, being blinded by oncoming headlights on our unlit highways. I don't look at the oncoming lights, I just watch the shoulder on my side ahead of me. I often use my left hand as a blinder to block the oncoming headlights too. My 57 year old eyes take a lot longer to adjust to changes in distance (focus) and light intensity so night driving is more difficult than it was years ago.

I had hoped the expensive hood would solve the problem and if it had it would be well worth it.
Hopefully it will be the answer for others.

I will just keep practicing and if covering the back of the hood helps I will let you know.
I am hoping.....
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #2582
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post

Yesterday I was at it again, welding blind with the lens set at 10.
Made a few nice passes and a couple were even going where I wanted them, but not many.

I really don't think it is the hood, I think it is my eyes, or perhaps my brain not processing anything except the brightest object visible. I do have problems with driving at night, being blinded by oncoming headlights on our unlit highways. I don't look at the oncoming lights, I just watch the shoulder on my side ahead of me. I often use my left hand as a blinder to block the oncoming headlights too. My 57 year old eyes take a lot longer to adjust to changes in distance (focus) and light intensity so night driving is more difficult than it was years ago.

I am hoping.....
Really frustrating, I know. I asked my instructor about this today and he pointed me toward the NexGen helmets we have in class but it didn't seem to make any difference to me.
It's true that as we age the muscles in our eyes that help us focus do become less efficient and one way this shows up is what you described with oncoming headlights; it starts to look like everyone has their brights on but they don't.
What happens when you try lower settings, like 8 or 9?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 AM   #2583
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Make sure you can see with both eyes. If your glove, helment or any other obstruction blocks one eye, you've lost your depth perception.

If you have to use reading glasses, get a cheater lens for inside your helmet. They come in the same diopters as reading glasses.

http://www.welders-direct.com/mm5/me...Code=LNS-MXXXX

Had no idea they existed!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:23 AM   #2584
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
If you have problems seeing to weld, then first thing to try is magnifying lens with helmet you have currently, and better lighting. If thats no good, then get a Speedglas helmet, which are generally better optically than the Chinese made ones (which often have big name stickers fitted!), and provide lighter shades for lower amp welding.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #2585
DaBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Harbor freight makes an ad helmet for about40.00 that works fine except for tig.
I have read this before. Why is it that some helmets can't be used with TIG? What is the difference between a TIG arc through straight argon and, for example, an (aluminium) MIG arc through straight argon?
DaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #2586
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
The helmet is not sensitive enough and flickers which will drive me batty.
My other helmets have sensitivity adjustment.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #2587
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Bluhduh Brighter and brighter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Really frustrating, I know.
What happens when you try lower settings, like 8 or 9?
The arc & puddle are brighter on 9 but still all else is black.
On 8, it is more bright than comfortable and there is nothing else to see...

I am sure it is very confusing to those who have little or no trouble seeing while welding to understand the problem we are dealing with.
It is sort of like explaining a rainbow to a blind person. No frame of reference.

As in all things in life... I have found this truth:
"If I don't have the problem, there is no problem."
Or so we tend to believe.
Until some day we DO suffer with that problem.
James
Old 03-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #2588
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,986
JagLite, even though I use a fixed shade (11) in a Jackson helmet with a nice big faceplate, I had some issues seeing while I was self-teaching.

One tip I picked up either here or over in a welding newsgroup was to never never watch the arc. Only look at the joint and the edge of the puddle that is freezing. Trust me, that is hard to practice but works. The eye is naturally drawn to the arc as its the brightest thing in view. Once you train the eyes to start on the joint and never look past the freezing edge of the puddle it gets way easier to put the bead in accurately and by watching the freeze zone you tend to work travel speed better too.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #2589
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Cry Self discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
JagLite, even though I use a fixed shade (11) in a Jackson helmet with a nice big faceplate, I had some issues seeing while I was self-teaching.

One tip I picked up either here or over in a welding newsgroup was to never never watch the arc. Only look at the joint and the edge of the puddle that is freezing. Trust me, that is hard to practice but works. The eye is naturally drawn to the arc as its the brightest thing in view. Once you train the eyes to start on the joint and never look past the freezing edge of the puddle it gets way easier to put the bead in accurately and by watching the freeze zone you tend to work travel speed better too.
I think we have a winner!

I thought about what you are saying, and I do believe that when I do the best, I am NOT looking at the arc, but as you say, the edge.

Oh, boy! I am looking forward (har-har-har!) to practicing that the next time (Thursday) I can get in the garage for some quality time.

After I posted this morning I have been thinking about my vision and how it has changed over time.
I realized that it is a problem for ME, my eyes, not the hood or my (lack of) technique that is the underlying problem.

I remembered the last time I went to see a movie in a theater.
That for several years now I have had to find a seat before the lights go down.
Once the lights are down, even if the screen is bright with something playing, I can't see the seats, the people, the floor, nada.
I didn't have any problem when I was younger, I could walk right in the dark, see where people were sitting and find my friends. But now, my wife knows that when we go in, if it is dark, she either has to wait for several MINUTES (!) while my eyes adjust so I can see or she has to lead me by the hand like a blind man. She has to tell me if there are steps or any obstructions. Over several minutes my eyed do adjust and I can see OK, not great, but I can usually recognize friends faces unless the movie is showing night scenes....

If I have to run to the restroom during the movie, when I return I have to stand at the back and watch for several minutes while my eyes readjust.

So, I do believe it is my problem to work with as best I can.
I am pretty sure that looking at the arc is making it worse so I will work on not looking directly at it.

I don't see that welding a bead for several minutes to adjust my eyes before I weld the area I want to do will be very practical.

"Ummm, why does this weld bead run all the way down this tube and then around the joint?"
James
Old 03-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #2590
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,913
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I don't use reading glasses and I make sure both eyes have a clear view.

I really don't think it is the hood, I think it is my eyes....

My 57 year old eyes take a lot longer to adjust to changes in distance (focus).....

Quote:
After I posted this morning I have been thinking about my vision and how it has changed over time.
I realized that it is a problem for ME, my eyes, not the hood or my (lack of) technique that is the underlying problem.

So, I do believe it is my problem to work with as best I can.
I am pretty sure that looking at the arc is making it worse so I will work on not looking directly at it.

I don't see that welding a bead for several minutes to adjust my eyes before I weld the area I want to do will be very practical.

"Ummm, why does this weld bead run all the way down this tube and then around the joint?"

Quote:
I have tried every position and direction of welding as well as getting real close (actually I am always very close).
You're just in denial, I've been wearing reading glasses since my mid-40's. Hold something with small print up to your nose and back it away until you can see it clearly; is your bead closer than that? If your wife uses reading glasses, try hers. If not, get a cheap pair and try them; 1.50 or 1.75 would be a good place to start.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #2591
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
I think we have a winner!
I thought about what you are saying, and I do believe that when I do the best, I am NOT looking at the arc, but as you say, the edge.
Mark1305's suggestion makes a lot of sense and I can't wait to try it.
I would discourage you from thinking your eyesight will prevent you from enjoying welding. What you're describing it pretty normal eyesight changes with aging. There are lots of ways to compensate.
I was laying down beads in a line today when I noticed that the light reflected from the previous bead helped me stay on track. You might want to try laying something mildly reflective next to your bead to add a little more light.
I showed these to my instructor and he said "decent" which is one step short of gushing for him. The previous batch were so ugly that I deleted the photo.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #2592
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Pissed Denial? Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post

You're just in denial, I've been wearing reading glasses since my mid-40's. Hold something with small print up to your nose and back it away until you can see it clearly; is your bead closer than that? If your wife uses reading glasses, try hers. If not, get a cheap pair and try them; 1.50 or 1.75 would be a good place to start.
I have 1.25's but they sit on my desk.
I don't need them for reading any normal text but instructions on some things are so small I need a microscope!
I haven't tried my readers while welding yet because I can see clearly before all goes dark and I can see the weld puddle clearly while welding.
But I will try it and see if it might help.
I just did the exercise you suggested and I can read clearly at 8".
I am sure I don't get that close to the bead!

I was also in mid 40's when I went to the eye doctor to see (another punny!) what was wrong with my eyes.
I had never needed glasses before and I was concerned there was a serious problem.
She told me that it is a serious problem, fatal even!
Yep, I was getting older... No cure for it either.

My glasses correct my distance vision so I only wear them while riding & driving so I can read signs at a distance.
James
Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #2593
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
I have 1.25's but they sit on my desk.
I don't need them for reading any normal text but instructions on some things are so small I need a microscope!
Instructions..........you read instructions??????
Quote:
I haven't tried my readers while welding yet because I can see clearly before all goes dark and I can see the weld puddle clearly while welding. But I will try it and see if it might help.
Trick: run an imaginary test bead before pulling the trigger and set up the weld so you can drag your glove, wrist, pinky, forearm along a straight edge like your bench/welding table. When setting up, start at the uncomfortable end and weld toward comfy.
Quote:
I just did the exercise you suggested and I can read clearly at 8".
I am sure I don't get that close to the bead!
I also get close to my welds. I can see clearly at 8" but my 1.50 cheater helps a bunch.

Quote:
I was also in mid 40's when I went to the eye doctor to see (another punny!) what was wrong with my eyes.
I had never needed glasses before and I was concerned there was a serious problem.
She told me that it is a serious problem, fatal even!
Yep, I was getting older... No cure for it either.

Quote:
My glasses correct my distance vision so I only wear them while riding & driving so I can read signs at a distance.
I can't read signs at a distance..........but it only affects my driving.

Quote:

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 01:43 PM
Old 03-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #2594
atpalmer
Broken

Oddometer: 244
Tips to weld an oil cooler

I need to repair my oil cooler mounting bracket. The problem is that the weld will come very close to the oil passages. Does any one have any tips on how to attack this? The oil cooler assembly is $522 and I obviously don't want to ruin it.

Will short welds on the outside edges hold up to vibration and heavy off road use?
this is from a 2007 DR650 that is mostly abused off road.
I'm a beginner welder with a 240V lincoln Mig welder with argon. (I know I should be using a Co2 mix but i've been getting decent welds with the argon only)

here is the oil cooler

Close up the piece that needs welding

It's a pretty close fit / clean break. I can get it lined up better than shown in the picture.

See how close it is to the oil passages?
atpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #2595
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

1. Weld it with antifreeze well above the repair. It will help keep the joints from popping loose, they look like some form of solder.

2. I'd bend two u-shaped rods from 1/8" welding rod, with something like 4" legs to go around the outside edge of the broken piece, one above and one under, acting like legs to reach onto the cooler. Do quick tack welds around the length of both to fasten the broken tab to the cooler. Pic 4 shows the rolled over section of the cooler where I'd run the 1/8" U repairs. One under the curl and one above it. Looks powder coating, you'll have to clean it off to bare metal.

3. If you don't know what I'm talking about, wait til tomorrow and I'll draw lines on your pics. g'nite

4. Run right over to the Flea Market and post in the WTB and find a replacement.

5. E-Bay too.

Quote: