Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #2641
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
The method for that I have seen used would be to install a carbon rod into the hole you are wanting to maintain round and then weld in the crack. I have also seen a hole drilled in the small end of the crack to elimimate the stress point and stop the fracture.

As far as weldedrs go Lincoln, Miller/Hobart, and Esab are the commonly seen in most production shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR_guy View Post
I need a butt-kicking TIG welder that can weld up a small crack radiating from a small pilot bearing hole in an MC crankcase. Gotta keep the hole round so that I can press in a new pilot bearing after the weld.

The hole is about 10mm wide. He will need to V-out and weld the crack I guess.

Know anyone good as this sort of stuff?
2013 Ducati Multistrada, 08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #2642
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
Talking

A used brand name mig beats the crap out of a new cheapo.

IF you understand the limitations of a 110 mig, go for it. I have used the inexpensive models and the wire feed sucks. With inconsistent wire feed, you are guaranteed a crappy weld.

True mig instead of gasless or flux core makes a nicer weld with almost no spatter.

David
Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #2643
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to watch CL for a couple months and save up some cash to get one of the 220v good quality MIGs. Looks like they run 400+ used without the tank, but I know where I can rent the tank locally.

I don't "want" to wait. Go go instant gratification, but I'm going to wait anyway.

Alton screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 07:18 PM
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #2644
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
I don't "want" to wait. Go go instant gratification,
This is bad for your future economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
but I'm going to wait anyway.
This is good for your future economy.

Buy good tools, they aren't an expense, they're an investment. If you buy cheap crap, you'll get to cuss it every time you use it...............forever.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #2645
bcguide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Is there any way to save welding cables once the rubber coating starts to break. I have 100 ft of heavy cable and the coating is pretty much shot
Scott
bcguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #2646
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcguide View Post
Is there any way to save welding cables once the rubber coating starts to break. I have 100 ft of heavy cable and the coating is pretty much shot
Scott
Here is a random idea I have never tried .
You could try cutting the ends off some garden hose and pulling the cable through that. Probably two 50 foot lengths with a plastic coupler in the center. Pull the cable through 50 feet at a time. You could use a wire fishing tape or perhaps try blowing some string through with an air compressor to use to pull the welding cable through. Probably want to use some wire pulling lubricant when you are trying to get the cable through.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:51 PM   #2647
Nightrunner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,140
Alton,

Have you considered an oxy-acetylene setup? Yes, you'll need two tanks instead of one, but used torches are pretty easy to find.

Some places remain unknown because no one has ever ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.
Nightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #2648
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrunner View Post
Alton,

Have you considered an oxy-acetylene setup? Yes, you'll need two tanks instead of one, but used torches are pretty easy to find.
I've been wondering about this...I'd like to be able to do some light welding, but the electrical service in my garage is sketchy at best. I did a little OA welding in college and it seems like it could probably handle whatever little projects I came up with. Any huge downsides?
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #2649
small_e_900
Amanda carried it

Oddometer: 1,765
The only downside to having an OA setup that I found was the near $1000 increase in homeowners insurance.

Check with your insurance agent.
small_e_900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #2650
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
When I started a forklift repair business, all I had were torches on my truck. I could do a lot. Cutting, welding and heating things to get them apart. If you can become proficient with torches, you have the best start to be an excellent welder.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #2651
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by small_e_900 View Post
The only downside to having an OA setup that I found was the near $1000 increase in homeowners insurance.

Check with your insurance agent.
How'd they figure that you had the OA setup?
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #2652
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
I had a similar problem, old house, no 220v. So I bought Sear's best O/A torches. They served me well for 16 years. Easier to use once you know how to set a neutral flame: no wire feed issues, almost no contamination issues. If you can solder, you can probably weld with a torch.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #2653
small_e_900
Amanda carried it

Oddometer: 1,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
How'd they figure that you had the OA setup?

I checked with them before I bought a torch set and didn't but a torch set.

I'd hate to have burned down the garage and then found out that they wouldn't cover the damage.
small_e_900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #2654
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Do you have a propane torch in the basement that you use occasionally?
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #2655
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,430
I want to be a better tig welder. To this end I've finally signed up for a class at the local community college but I think that what I'm specifically trying to accomplish is not really something they deal with. Anyway, my end goal (outside of being better) is to build a set of headers for my KTM 990 out of stainless. My build thread is over here: Mission Creep. Skip to the end for the pipes.

So I've sourced .065 wall 304 prebends. The fabbing is going well. The welding needs work. So, onto my questions.

Here's some samples of what I did in my class today. When I say class I mean I'm just in my little cubical with coupons - there's very little instruction.

And my best section:

So, here's my questions.

Obviously I don't want to "cook" the stainless but I kept taking the amps down and down until it seemed like it would barely melt the parent metal and then, only very slowly, could I feed rod. Oh, specs.

I'm using a 1/16 2% tungsten, I started with 1/16" filler but it seemed to need more heat and so I was getting sugar. I decided to swap to the next smaller size which was .035 and that seemed to make a big difference. I should shoot the back of those welds but most of them show sugar through the back when I was up over 40-45 amps. Lower and I was just getting the rainbow on the back but no full pen. These are butt welds on probably .050-.065 stainless sheet.

My impression is that the control needed is way finer than I would have guessed. I would have thought you'd have a window of 10-15 amps where you could weld but it seems more like 2-3 amps. Is this really the case? How the hell do you get that nice golden weld when it seems like that temp is just barely on the verge of melting the stainless? Why does it seem that adding filler, at the same amperage, makes the weld hotter? I can fuse at 45 amps but add filler and 45 amps seems to cook it and I end up with gray dull welds.

Another question: I've always thought you wanted full penetration but my instructor was saying that full pen on the back of stainless will give you sugar and you've cooked the chromium out of it and weakened it. Are you going for something like 90-95% penetration? On my headers I have an argon purge set up but should I be trying to not fully penetrate? There was a sample in the classroom of a flawless stainless weld of a pipe to a flange and there was only the hint of color on the back with a tiny felt bump where the weld would be but no real distortion and certainly no penetration to the other side. Is that what I'm going for?

I'll have more questions but feedback on this so far would be helpful.

Thanks!

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote