Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #2746
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Firstly you will need to experiment with the settings on your machine using scrap material, to get a feel for what works best. Once you have an idea of the voltage settings, then fine tune the wire speed so the arc sounds like frying bacon............this works very well indeed, and is quick and easy to do.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #2747
KS Jay
Milwaukees Best

Oddometer: 252
Determine metal thickness, adjust MIG settings per chart that came with machine (usually located inside door where wire goes), test on scrap.

While welding, LISTEN to arc for a smooth buzzing sound. Some describe it as bacon frying but to me it is a smooth buzz sound like "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ".....If the arc sounds like loud popping and is erratic LOWER wire speed only until a smooth buzzing sound is heard.

You'll know you have lowered wire speed to far when the wire quickly burns up to the tip, if that happens return settings to chart specs and try again. Once settings are found, write the settings down for that material thickness for future reference.

Evaluate weld for penetration (markings on backside of material).
KS Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #2748
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
I would like to weld on a High Tensile strength steel frame, what is the best way , mig, tig? any need to heat the metal before weld?

Also what about Cro Moly
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #2749
Pike Bishop
Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer: 9,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejohn View Post
I would like to weld on a High Tensile strength steel frame, what is the best way , mig, tig? any need to heat the metal before weld?

Also what about Cro Moly
No offense, but judging from the way your questions are worded (and the fact that you asked them at all) leads me to believe that the best way to weld on it would be to hire someone who knows how.

A bike frame ain't the place to learn to weld, IMHO (if it's a bike frame you're talking about).
Pike Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #2750
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike Bishop View Post
No offense, but judging from the way your questions are worded (and the fact that you asked them at all) leads me to believe that the best way to weld on it would be to hire someone who knows how.

A bike frame ain't the place to learn to weld, IMHO (if it's a bike frame you're talking about).
And none taken, had a year of welding , vo tech, way back in 79, I can lay a good bead with a MIG welder on hot roll steel, I want to modify a Triumph tiger frame to take a different swing arm, I like to do my own work and this is something I would like to learn, I would be using a wrecked frame to try out first, no I did not wreck it

I am a machinist by trade and have built a few projects for my tiger,
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #2751
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 490
I would TIG it...:) Moly, gets ER70S2 in my shop...I won't argue over 1 paragraph about it...(I can however back up my claim with not a bunch of bookspeak or engineering theory, but actual examples of application on some high horsepower, quick and fast two wheel machines).

YMMV
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #2752
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroAcres View Post
I would TIG it...:) ER70S2 in my shop...YMMV
(just a wannabe weldor)

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 05-14-2012 at 08:52 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #2753
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Nailhead, wire speed is amps.
.030 wire uses one amp for every two inches or minute. SO 100 IPM= about 50 amps. I adjust wire feed speed first. Set the volts for a good arc.

I think I have used that machine and the voltage selection is tapped (in steps) so you may need to fine tune the arc with the wire speed.

One amp for each .001" of plate is needed for a good single pass weld. So 1/8" can be welded with 125 amps or 250 IPM of .030 wire. This is a rule of thumb.

Type of gas, joint, and quality of weld all factor in too.

This only scratches the surface of your question.

David
Thanks VERY much for this and the other replies to my question.

You guys gave me just what I was looking for: a few rules of thumb!

Sweet, now I can fool around with settings with some sort of direction.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #2754
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
And none taken, had a year of welding , vo tech, way back in 79, I can lay a good bead with a MIG welder on hot roll steel, I want to modify a Triumph tiger frame to take a different swing arm, I like to do my own work and this is something I would like to learn, I would be using a wrecked frame to try out first, no I did not wreck it

Firstly I doubt very much if your Tiger frame is chrom-moly tube! If it is, then unless its made using new generation air hardening tubes, then it will have been TIG or bronze welded, which will mean any modification work will need to be done using the same methods of joining.

Material of your frame is much more likely to be ERW or possibly (but unlikely) CDS tube, and if the frame was MIG welded originally then this method will be fine to make modifications.

Sadly simple questions like yours only too often result in replies from posters who have no practical knowledge, as they have never made or modified a frame themselves. Good idea to ignore any of these, and take a close look at how your frame was made originally and do modifications the same way.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:49 AM   #2755
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
(just a wannabe weldor)
Ahhhh, you funny man, I was actually refering to the wire, However, if you want to come and weld I could use some help this week, .
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:23 AM   #2756
Pike Bishop
Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer: 9,127
Quote:
Now that's what *I* would like to learn ... but where does a middle-aged hobbyist go to learn machining? The community college doesn't teach it!
Pike Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #2757
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,353
Quote:
Now that's what *I* would like to learn ... but where does a middle-aged hobbyist go to learn machining? The community college doesn't teach it!
I was in the same boat a couple years ago with welding and machining. I had a strong desire to modify bikes but always came up short in the necessary skill depts to do what I wanted.

For welding I just bought a TIG welder and started practicing. Problem is that when you and I weld once every couple weeks it's hard to get good and stay good vs guys that do it all day long. I'm still learning, but my welds and confidence get better all the time. Long way to go though.

For machining I had the same issue. I always wanted to learn how but where to start? I figured that a lathe would be the most practical for a bike as I needed round stuff, so I bought a bunch of textbooks and read online, watched youtube. Nothing prepares you for the real deal though.

I bought a fairly serious lathe for my first outing, and so far it's been great. I feel the study of machine work is such a vast topic it's hard to get started unless you just go out and do it. Start small, on aluminum or plastic and slowly increase your skills until you're making real parts.

I have a good friend that is a machinist and I have access to lots of machinists through work, so I ask a LOT of questions. Then I go home and try it. And screw it up, then make it again...

If you're reasonably coordinated no reason you can't learn the basics of a lathe. I came from a professional woodworking background so it wasn't too difficult to learn the metal craft. I find it very satisfying to make parts from metal, especially ones where I finish it on the lathe, walk over to the bike and weld it on

There's a great guy on youtube called tubalcain that does a series of really basic videos on all things machine shop. He has a great voice and being a shop teacher for 30 something years, has his ways of teaching. Check it out I think you'll find it will help you understand the basics enough to where you can go out and make a simple bushing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrpete222?feature=watch

Be warned though, machine work is incredibly expensive. I was given fair warning by my buddy, and I ignored it. Especially the part where he said plan on spending twice what you paid for the lathe on tooling. Ha!! I retorted. I spent $2500 on a lathe, ain't no way I'll spend that on tooling...

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #2758
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Here are two books that are really great beginning books. They manage to discuss many basic things (work holding) and yet still manage to cover a lot of things that are advanced as well (climb cutting). I've been lucky to spend the last 10 years sharing shop space with several machinists and fabricators and my lessons learned were invaluable but I still learned much from these books.

Machine Shop Essentials and Machine Shop Know-How

I've read dozens of books after getting my mill and lathe and these two are the most approachable books on the subject. If only there was a welding book that was as comprehensive and practical. I'm all ears on that one.

Gregor
sakurama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #2759
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
So what lathe did you buy?
It's an enco 1340. 3hp, 3 phase etc

I like it, I wish it was a heavier machine but I simply don't have the space in a one car garage

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #2760
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,013
Coll. Thanks for the input. Chricky there are alot of models to choose from out there. Right now I just have a small 120V Lincoln for stuff around the ranchito.
I'd like to learn to do some of those nice Tig welds though.
Does someone make a 120V Tig, small enough to carry around?

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote