Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #3061
Colorado970
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
here's probably an easy one:

can I weld hot wheels cars together with MIG?
If you define welding as MELTING.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #3062
kirkster70
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
I've been doing some research on making a smoker out of a used 275 gal. fuel oil tank.

Seems that there are equal people saying it can be done safely, and people saying that it should never be done.

Some say the toxic fuel oil is permanently absorbed into the metal and it should never be used for cooking food, whereas others claim that it can be "burned out" by 2 or 3 high temp, long duration fires prior to cooking.

Is there any scientific proof to either side? Or are both sides based on opinion?

I'd love to make a smoker, but don't need any sick family or friends by using a used tank.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #3063
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,342
why in god's name are you even trying?

in the refinery business we are routinely required to weld pipe that has been used in hydrocarbon processes for a significant duration. The pipe is drained, flushed, and then steamed out. Once it's cut, it needs to be baked out above 500 degrees. This is to remove the hydrocarbon that is absorbed in the pipe that, when heated, will lead to hydrogen embrittlement.

There isn't any chance in hell I would make a smoker out of a petrol tank, nor would I eat anything out of it. I don't care if it was heat treated to 1500 degrees.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #3064
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
What size welding stick (7018) should I use to make a 1/4" fillet?
If you can keep a 3/32" 7018 electrode from making a 1/4" stringer you are in the wrong field, sir.

I don't know what sort of fillet you're trying to weld, but if you're doing it flat you'll want three passes, usually. If you're welding uphill you'll want to weave it, generally speaking. In which case an uphill weave can be more than half an inch wide. By code we're allowed 3 rod diametres, so we usually stringer an uphill weld. You don't have an inspector up your arse when you're welding, so you're good.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #3065
kirkster70
moto junkie

Can be done safely - 0

Should never be done - 1

In God's name? Not really sure what that has to do with anything.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #3066
Jim Bud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
I've been doing some research on making a smoker out of a used 275 gal. fuel oil tank.

Seems that there are equal people saying it can be done safely, and people saying that it should never be done.

Some say the toxic fuel oil is permanently absorbed into the metal and it should never be used for cooking food, whereas others claim that it can be "burned out" by 2 or 3 high temp, long duration fires prior to cooking.

Is there any scientific proof to either side? Or are both sides based on opinion?

I'd love to make a smoker, but don't need any sick family or friends by using a used tank.
First, using a smoker has its own risk, the "smoking" of meat generates all kinds of nasty carbon based chemicals, and second, if you heat the smoker to a high temp a few times after you make it you will bake our all of the nasties.....just hot and long for an hour or two for a few cycles and you should be good to go. Yes, I would eat it.....but I won't eat smoked meat very ofter.....its not good for an old stomach.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character......give him power".....Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #3067
kirkster70
moto junkie

Can be - 1
Never - 1

Hmmm....never even considered the smoke to be bad. Thanks for that.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #3068
rutard
Magnanimous Madcap

Oddometer: 326
Does $500 seem steep for prepping / TIG welding a 6-8 inch spider crack, and precisely tapping 2 holes?

Kirkster, I'd have to agree w. BobbySand (seems like he knows his shite). Why not source 55 gal drums that were used for storing food-stuff (LIKE THIS)?

Here are some other options:
DIY Smoker from sheet metal (expensive, but you get to weld)
Brick Smoker
Trashcan Smoker
rutard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #3069
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutard View Post
Does $500 seem steep for prepping / TIG welding a 6-8 inch spider crack, and precisely tapping 2 holes?
Well, I know I don't have the knowledge or equipment to do it, and I doubt I could obtain them for $500
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #3070
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,273
Quote:

There's about $150 in taps right off the bat and consumables, I don't think $500 is enough.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:56 AM   #3071
kirkster70
moto junkie

Quote:

Kirkster, I'd have to agree w. BobbySand (seems like he knows his shite). Why not source 55 gal drums that were used for storing food-stuff (LIKE THIS)?

Here are some other options:
DIY Smoker from sheet metal (expensive, but you get to weld)
Brick Smoker
Trashcan Smoker
Yea - 1
Nay - 2

I'm not saying that he doesn't know. Just looking for his and eveyone else's thoughts on the matter. In his own post, he mentions steam cleaning and a 500 degree temp to remove the badness, so that tells me it's possible.

I don't want to make a huge smoker, so I'm thinking I may look for an old 80gal. air compressor tank and then build the firebox from scratch. Should be a nice project. I don't want anyone getting sick from short or long term exposure, so that's why I'm here asking those who know.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:44 AM   #3072
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,405
Never thought to ask a welding question on ADV, but since I like this place, here goes.

I got a Craigslist special for $200, a Lincoln 175hd with gas cylinder and a bunch of extras. Dude just didn't have the space or ability to run it living in old Fort Bragg housing, so he cut his losses and I won...I think.

I set it up this weekend with L56 .025 wire and standard Argon/CO2 shielding gas. Went to weld d-rings on a trailer and I got nothing but crap. Started on D 7 and worked my way around the gauntlet. I can't get penetration and I'm consistently getting burnback running about 3/8" of wire at the tip.

I checked ground, reversed polarity, verified shielding gas, changed tips, all to no avail.

I'm a n00b welder, so I'm sure there is something I'm missing here. Any thoughts?

Sent from the voices in my head, and transcribed by their drinking buddy.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #3073
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,420
For bare wire and gas, you need electrode positive. I would use .030 or .035 wire.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #3074
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Never thought to ask a welding question on ADV, but since I like this place, here goes.

I got a Craigslist special for $200, a Lincoln 175hd with gas cylinder and a bunch of extras. Dude just didn't have the space or ability to run it living in old Fort Bragg housing, so he cut his losses and I won...I think.

I set it up this weekend with L56 .025 wire and standard Argon/CO2 shielding gas. Went to weld d-rings on a trailer and I got nothing but crap. Started on D 7 and worked my way around the gauntlet. I can't get penetration and I'm consistently getting burnback running about 3/8" of wire at the tip.

I checked ground, reversed polarity, verified shielding gas, changed tips, all to no avail.

I'm a n00b welder, so I'm sure there is something I'm missing here. Any thoughts?

Sent from the voices in my head, and transcribed by their drinking buddy.
Check your polarity. DC+ goes to the torch block, the ground clamp gets negative.

Make sure your spool tension is good. Your arc flaring up into the contact tip of your welding gun is a sign of the wire feeding poorly. Check to make sure that your drive roll size .025 matches your wire diameter. Check that your gun liner is not filled with crap. If it is, get a new gun liner. Get an .045 liner so you can use it for all sizes of wire diameter that that machine will use. You should be able to feed the wire into your gloved hand and it should still feed smoothly. Also check that your drive roll pressure is set with enough pressure to smoothly feed the wire.

If all else fails call Lincoln Electric at their help line 1-888-935-3877. Have the code number from the welder with you when you call. The code number is located on the serial number plate.

Good welding.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #3075
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
here's probably an easy one:

can I weld hot wheels cars together with MIG?

No. Zinc will not like it.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote