User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2007, 02:09 PM   #301
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,413
Mark and Todd, thank you very much - D.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #302
sharkey
XLV750R

Oddometer: 875
Re: tank cleaning, plan is to hose it out at the local high-pressure carwash place, then cut it open with an air nibbler (no sparks!), then wash the bits again before welding. I've got to get some thin sheet steel to practice on before embarking on this lunatic adventure, if MIG proves too difficult I'll have to braze them, I guess.

-----sharks
sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:19 PM   #303
RocketJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Question Argon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar
Buy shielding gas with at least 80% Argon in it for MIG welding with solid wire.
I use 100% argon for TIG. I just bought a PRO mig 140. Any down side to using that instead of a mix?
R100RS (for sale)
XR650L
RocketJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:39 PM   #304
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJ
I use 100% argon for TIG. I just bought a PRO mig 140. Any down side to using that instead of a mix?
I have that very same unit and like it alot.

The next gadget will be the Wire Feed Gun for Aluminum.

On the PRO Mig 140, I've been playing around with 1/8" thick angle iron laying flat and vertical beads with the flux core wire that comes in the kit but am getting all sorts of metal splattering. I'm going with the suggested "D" setting with a wire speed setting of 3 to 3.5 as it's listed inside of the cover.

Is this normal? I am getting the bacon sizzle, so the sound is right from what I hear from others.

Dirty
Old 09-26-2007, 02:24 AM   #305
sharkey
XLV750R

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
From my _other_ favourite forum thingy ... a comparison of different shield gases.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/welding-gas.htm

It occurs to me that you could probably get away with having a big 100% Argon cylinder and a 100% CO2 "pub gas" cylinder, and as long as you had decent flowmeters on both you could easily mix them together for MIG use.

-----sharks
sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:33 AM   #306
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
The reason that 100% argon doesn't work well for MIG is because you need that small precent of CO2 or 1 to 5% Oxygen to help wet out the weld puddle. You might notice that when using 100% argon with solid steel electrode your welding arc wants to wander around instead of staying directly under the wire.

It has a lot to do with ionization rates of the gas as well as surface tension caused by the addition of the CO2.

But the bottom line is when using steel weld wire use a mixed gas of 75%Argon and 25% or less of C02.

Some common mixes are 75/25 Ar/C02, 90/10 Ar/C02, 95/5 Ar/02

If you weld with Silicon Bronze or Aluminum MIG wire then 100% Argon is the correct gas mix.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:57 AM   #307
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez
I have that very same unit and like it alot.

The next gadget will be the Wire Feed Gun for Aluminum.

On the PRO Mig 140, I've been playing around with 1/8" thick angle iron laying flat and vertical beads with the flux core wire that comes in the kit but am getting all sorts of metal splattering. I'm going with the suggested "D" setting with a wire speed setting of 3 to 3.5 as it's listed inside of the cover.

Is this normal? I am getting the bacon sizzle, so the sound is right from what I hear from others.

Dirty
The decal on the inside of the machine is just about dead on. Make sure you also follow the instructions for gas type, wire diameter and electrode polarity recommendation.

You will have some spatter with all of these small MIG welders that are smaller than 250 Amps. In order to eliminate spatter you need to go into a spray transfer which requires high Argon gas (90% minimum) and 250 amps of current at 26 volts. A pure spray arc is hot but quiet. You will not hear the sizzle of the arc like when it is running a short arc transfer.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:02 AM   #308
Markus Derailius
I dig money pits

Oddometer: 74
looon

Boy, this thread is getting long....

What do you think of an item like this http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/

...for small garage stuff.

Thanks for your input-
Markus Derailius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:11 PM   #309
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Derailius
Boy, this thread is getting long....

What do you think of an item like this http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/

...for small garage stuff.

Thanks for your input-
That's different. Have you used one?

Old 09-28-2007, 06:39 AM   #310
Markus Derailius
I dig money pits

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar
That's different. Have you used one?
Nope, but it was shown to me by a friend (also a beginner)....thinking that it may be a nice option for home use/starter set.

I haven't heard anything negative since I've been asking around.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #311
DustMeOff
back on the 2 wheel wagon

Oddometer: 143
kent white has some comments on it here:

http://www.tinmantech.com/html/faq__torch__henrob.php
http://www.tinmantech.com/html/faq_h...2000_torch.php

what do you want to do specifically?

Quote:
Nope, but it was shown to me by a friend (also a beginner)....thinking that it may be a nice option for home use/starter set.

I haven't heard anything negative since I've been asking around.
DustMeOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:37 PM   #312
Markus Derailius
I dig money pits

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustMeOff
kent white has some comments on it here:

http://www.tinmantech.com/html/faq__torch__henrob.php
http://www.tinmantech.com/html/faq_h...2000_torch.php

what do you want to do specifically?
Just very novice stuff.....repair or modify brackets, guards. Maybe get crrraaazy and brace an old Triumph or Airhead swingarm.
....Stuff like that.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:31 PM   #313
krury
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Duck Foot, KLR 650

I grew up on dairy farms and we fabbed and repaired everything with a Lincoln AC welder. I use to use my Lincoln AC.DC crackerbox (Adult Life) until I recently bought a Lincoln Mig Machine. Before I bought this machine I considered myself a hack welder. Since I bought it I am constantly looking for stuff to fab. Feels like an artists brush in my otherwise untalented hand.

I was trying out a new camera the other day so I parked my KLR on the lawn and watched it fall over as the small footpeg went into the grass and continued until my spincture muscle made a mighty snapping contraction.

5 minutes later I am freeform cutting a piece of 1/4" plate and welding what I call a duck foot onto my side stand. A little flap sanding and some silver metal flake paint and most people cannot tell it is not Factory except it is 4 times the surface area and will not sink.

P.S. If you want to send me some free Lincoln Stuff I will not tell any one. At least send me some decals for my tigged aluminum panniers.

Kevin

krury screwed with this post 09-28-2007 at 07:37 PM
krury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #314
DustMeOff
back on the 2 wheel wagon

Oddometer: 143
you could just get a regular oxyacetylene torch outfit and save some cash. it's better spent on additional tips than a fancy torch. they're already expensive without going with that henrob. i got a smith aw1a on ebay with the tiny tanks for $280, which was cheaper than the set without tanks locally. you can get small cutting tips for thin stuff and it makes a very clean cut. not like plasma, but definitely useful.

you can pick up cheaper setups but they aren't practically serviceable, fine for most stuff. also look for a used setup with tanks on craigslist, which is probably the way to go as long as you can still get rebuild parts for it. oxy/ac torches are endlessly useful, a welding tip or two, a rosebud tip and cutting head will do most everything you need. it's useful to learn to silver/nickel silver and brass braze as well. gas welding steel is slow but fun to try. also, if you will be using it often you can save by switching to propane. it requires different cutting tips and you can't gas weld steel. everything else still works.

local welding shops usually have sets for about $300 for nice basic stuff. i got a small torch because i build bicycle frames and don't like a monster torch. it still has plenty of heat output. make sure to read up on acetylene safety, it's more complicated than normal flammable gas.

good luck.
Mike

Quote:
Just very novice stuff.....repair or modify brackets, guards. Maybe get crrraaazy and brace an old Triumph or Airhead swingarm.
....Stuff like that.
DustMeOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:16 AM   #315
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,658
I've been playing around with the ProMig 140 this past weekend.

I added a larger footprint the size of a playing card to the SW-Motech sidestand to keep from sinking in the soft stuff and layed a rather impressive bead with the little rig. And also added a bead to the sidestand resting location to prevent it from rubbing on the underside of the TT Pannier.

My next project will involve welding a few metal tabs onto the subframe to give a secure mounting location for a tool tube.

I remember in Charlie and Ewan's "Long Way Around" one of the guys fried something on their GSA's after welding something back together rendering the bike unridable.

Other than disconnecting the battery and pulling all of the fuses on the bike, what else do I need to disconnect or be concerned about so I don't damage anything?

I really don't care to fry any of the electricals on the 640A if I can help it.

Suggestions?

Dirty

dirty_sanchez screwed with this post 10-02-2007 at 09:30 AM
dirty_sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote