Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 1,806
Depends what the standard is testing.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #3377
fxstbiluigi
aka Road Monster

Oddometer: 11,569
I doubt that you will find an auto darkening lens that can change fast enough that you don't see a 'flash'. Camera shutter speed can vary between 1/125th to 1/500th sec an the camera has seen enough light to make a picture.
I have never felt the need to have an auto welding hood, expnensive, unessary, novelty answer to a nonexistant problem.
I used a Huntsman 411-p for 39 years and the only things I changed were the shade, started with a #10 green then red, then went to a hi-vis #10
and finally wound up using #9 hi-vis and switching between green and red. There was also an A/O glass, blue, #10 in there for a while and that was just like looking at the weld in black&white.

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke

fxstbiluigi screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 04:59 PM
fxstbiluigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #3378
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstbiluigi View Post
I doubt that you will find an auto darkening lens that can change fast enough that you don't see a 'flash'. Camera shutter speed can vary between 1/125th to 1/500th sec an the camera has seen enough light to make a picture.
I have never felt the need to have an auto welding hood, expnensive, unessary, novelty answer to a nonexistant problem.
I used a Huntsman 411-p for 39 years and the only things I changed were the shade, started with a #10 green then red, then went to a hi-vis #10
and finally wound up using #9 hi-vis and switching between green and red. There was also an A/O glass, blue, #10 in there for a while and that was just like looking at the weld in black&white.
Damn, you still using a stone tablet too??? Smoke Signals, Dial up service, Oh wait no this is the InterWebs..on DSL..

I have every helmet I have used since I started in 1976, all hanging on the wall in my shop (8 or 10 wall ornaments) I still weld every day..I haven't used a fixed lens helmet in 20yrs...right now there are 2 Speedglass helmets on top of my welders...best thing since sunlight...

(Come on man move into the 21st Century)..
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #3379
fxstbiluigi
aka Road Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroAcres View Post
Damn, you still using a stone tablet too??? Smoke Signals, Dial up service, Oh wait no this is the InterWebs..on DSL..

I have every helmet I have used since I started in 1976, all hanging on the wall in my shop (8 or 10 wall ornaments) I still weld every day..I haven't used a fixed lens helmet in 20yrs...right now there are 2 Speedglass helmets on top of my welders...best thing since sunlight...

(Come on man move into the 21st Century)..
Sam Colt's revolver has been copied and refined but is still basically the same as it was back in 1800&something as well as J M Browining's Mdl 1911 pistol. There are some things that are perfectly serviceable with out all the bells and whistles that modern tech. tends to outfit them with.

Anyway I retired 4 years ago next month and haven't struck an arc since.

fxstbiluigi screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 05:57 PM
Old 03-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #3380
kirkster70
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
I have a Miller Elite and a Miller Digital Elite.

Here is their recommended shade settings:

Stick:

Less than 40A - Shade 9
40-80A - 10
80-175 - 11
175-300 - 12
300-500 - 13

MIG:

Less than 100 - 10
100-175 - 11
175 - 300 - 12
300 - 500 - 13

TIG:

Less than 50 - 10
50-100 - 11
100-200 - 12
200-400 - 13

Air Carbon:

Less than 500 - 12
500-700 - 13

Plasma Cutting:

60-150 - 11
150-250 - 12
250-400 - 13

Plasma Welding:

Less than 50 - 9
20-200 - 10
200-400 - 12

I hope this helps...

And to the gent calling auto-dimming hoods a novelty? Don't knock it until you've tried it.

I can drop my Digital Elite down to 3 to grind, put it on 10 to plasma, and then set it for MIG/TIG. If all my pieces are cut out and ready for fit-up, I don't even need to lift the hood for hours. The hood eliminates the need for #10 goggles, and eliminates the need for a grinding shield. All at the push of a button. (or turn of a knob). So, it's more than just a welding hood.

One cool thing about the Digital Elite over the regular Elite is "X mode", in which only an electrical field will trip it. In this mode, sunlight won't cause false triggering, and you can weld at super low TIG amperages, and as soon as you step on the pedal, you're ready to go. Plus, if out of position, there is no worry about blocking a sensor and getting flashed.

And with the big viewing area, you don't need to worry about striking your arc in the wrong place or losing your positioning when you whip your head to close the hood.

Novelty? I think that definition fits a fixed shade hood much better. If you were to use an auto-dimming hood for one single day, you'd be throwing rocks at your 39 year old Huntsman. ;)

kirkster70 screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 05:47 AM
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #3381
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydrift View Post
from what I understand is that my hood complies with Standards/Approvals: ANSI Z87.1/CSA Z94.3. I think what makes this hood cheaper is the head ratcheting assy. and hood body itself seems smaller than most but as far as eye protection goes I think the ANSI standard is the same for all hoods / lenses isn't it ?

Yeah, they have to meet standards, but that doesn't mean they are durable. Just experience here, I have had a cheap lid from NAPA fail and got flashed bad, not worth the risk. I'd rather use a fixed lens lid than any cheap ass auto dark from Harbor Freight or anywhere else, I like my eyes.

We not talking about dino versus synthetic here, WE'RE TALKING ABOUT OUR EYE SIGHT!!!
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #3382
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
Yes, and the very day my helmet flashes me, or I become a professional welder, I will buy the helmet that costs 5 times as much.

Even those fancy helmets can fail.

Sent from my MB886 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #3383
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,313
Auto helmets are the balls. I can weld better with one simple as that.

Look it up, the UV protection is there even if the helmet does not turn on.

I can't see a flash from my helmet unless its the first arc of the day. If I push the reset button, it does not flash then either.

Once you get past the cheap helmets you are paying for comfort and the size of the window.

Harbor freight is light and works. Its a teeny window compared to others, but it works except for tig.

I weld every day and have variable bifocals. With the big window, I can weld most anything. I keep a harbor freight one at home. As long an they have adjustable shade and works, its a good helmet.

If you want to use fixed lens, go ahead. I have radial tires and fuel injection on my motorcycle. It even has ABS, traction control and heated grips. I like it!

To each his own.

Sparky
Old 03-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #3384
GordonH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Bought a Lincoln Power Mig 180c. Put in a dedicated (tapped off of the panel feed) 40amp fused panel/box with the outlet mounted underneath. Hooked everything up on the welder as per the directions and ran my first successful bead on some 1/4 inch scrap steel. It looks like I'm going to enjoy this tool.
Thanks all.

Gordon
p.s. KTM640Dakar. I owe you a beer when I see you. Are you going to Stockbridge in May?
GordonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:27 AM   #3385
Pike Bishop
Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer: 8,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonh View Post
f i find an answer and can explain it without taking a night class in ee i'll put it up.
nec 630
Pike Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #3386
Pike Bishop
Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer: 8,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstbiluigi View Post
I doubt that you will find an auto darkening lens that can change fast enough that you don't see a 'flash'.
Get real. Even the cheapo Chinese $50 specials autodark in 1/25,000 of a second.

I have used a lot of autodark shields (including the $50 jobbie above) and have never been flashed because it "can't change fast enough."

The only autodark shields that have flashed me were the more expensive ones...either because they automatically switched off and I didn't know it (the $50 solar-powered ones NEVER switch off, and have no battery to die) or because they were in the wrong mode (grind, for example) or because they were malfunctioning. (Oh, and the cheapos never malfunctioned...the only reason I abandoned them is because they have non-standard, non-replaceable headgear.)

I should also add that unless I'm doing a lot of tacking where I don't want stray arc strikes, I went back to non-autodark shields because I can see through them a lot better than even a top-of-the-line Miller autodark. (Though "X-Mode" on the Miller Digital Elite is sweet for low-amperage tigging...)
Pike Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #3387
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
I have a Miller Elite and a Miller Digital Elite.

And to the gent calling auto-dimming hoods a novelty? Don't knock it until you've tried it.

I can drop my Digital Elite down to 3 to grind, put it on 10 to plasma, and then set it for MIG/TIG. If all my pieces are cut out and ready for fit-up, I don't even need to lift the hood for hours. The hood eliminates the need for #10 goggles, and eliminates the need for a grinding shield. All at the push of a button. (or turn of a knob). So, it's more than just a welding hood.

One cool thing about the Digital Elite over the regular Elite is "X mode", in which only an electrical field will trip it. In this mode, sunlight won't cause false triggering, and you can weld at super low TIG amperages, and as soon as you step on the pedal, you're ready to go. Plus, if out of position, there is no worry about blocking a sensor and getting flashed.

And with the big viewing area, you don't need to worry about striking your arc in the wrong place or losing your positioning when you whip your head to close the hood.

Novelty? I think that definition fits a fixed shade hood much better. If you were to use an auto-dimming hood for one single day, you'd be throwing rocks at your 39 year old Huntsman. ;)
How long have you been welding ?
It does make a difference, some guys who have been at it for 20 -30 years + will not switch ,"even if they did try it for one single day". My mentor would never use one (and he could weld !), about the time they became popular I asked him why he didnt swap over: said he tried one but was just not comfortable with one, too many years of "flipping the lid". I personally didnt own one until about 7 years ago, same thing, over 20 years of standard hoods had been working fine. I always wear safety glasses and never take the time to dick around switching shade to grind.
There is still a concern that regardless of how fast they are, they are not on before the arc is struck but actually after, and that you do subject your eyes to the flash you just do not know it ? I cant speak for that, 30+ years now of welding and my eyes are getting bad. I think the arc flash from others around you welding and for me getting shit drilled out of my eyes has done more damage then a auto would do in 100 years of use.
I will point out one big negative for the auto dark- if you weld with a team on big assemblies - your helmet is always flickering on and off between welds from the other guys around you, there are times it would be nice to have it just stay on. Thats my thought of the morning . As always everyone has their own opinion.
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #3388
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
I will point out one big negative for the auto dark- if you weld with a team on big assemblies - your helmet is always flickering on and off between welds from the other guys around you, there are times it would be nice to have it just stay on. Thats my thought of the morning . As always everyone has their own opinion.
Good ones have sensitivity setting that allow for it to "Stay Dark", with even a small amount of bright light, one of my shops bright florescent lights activates one of my helmets so I have to set it higher so it won't go dark as quickly..

Side note, the SpeedGlas helmets are protective for UV rays to equivalent of shade 16 even when not activated. (I don't know about any other brands).

Oh and My CONTACTS are UV Protectant Also...:)

NitroAcres screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 09:57 AM
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #3389
GordonH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike Bishop View Post
nec 630
Yep. That's what I found too.

Gordon
GordonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #3390
fxstbiluigi
aka Road Monster

[QUOTE=Pike Bishop;20959899]Get real. Even the cheapo Chinese $50 specials autodark in 1/25,000 of a second.

[QUOTE]
Say what you will, and even though its been several years, since I last tried an auto darkening hood I can see that I will never be able to convince anyone that they are a "novelity" and not necessary.........
AAAaaaaanddd no one will ever convince me the hood improves your welding. The auto hood may be a little more convenient as opposed to raising your hood if a lot of tacking is being done but that is about the only advantage.