User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 03:59 AM   #3631
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,387
Its not a silly question.

On 110 v your new welder will only put out about 88 amps of welding power at welding voltage. This is about right for .095 tubing but a little short for 1/8" plate. It will do it IF YOU HAVE A 20 AMP CIrCUIt.

It will stick weld with 1/16" or 5/64 rod, you know the kind that shakes in the electrode holder? It will pop breakers even with 3/32 rod at 85 amps.

It will tig weld up till it pops your breaker again about 85 or so amps.

Just as a guess you are going to run .030 wire or .035 once you have the correct circuit.

On 110 volts it will run better on .023 wire (like a 110 mig)

enjoy your new toy
David
Old 09-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #3632
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
heres a silly question...

im going to pick up a miller 211 tommorow.

i dont have 240 in my garage, yet. there is a retired hottub outlet on the porch, i need to crawl up into the roof, and drag the wire back to the garage before i can hook 240 up.

but since the welder runs 120... and im only welding 1/8 plate and .095 wall tube... does it even matter? will the 211 run better on 240?

background: i havent welded more than a couple tacks in 15 years. i was pretty good with a stick and ok with mig and oxy/acet back then, but the whole idea of welding again is kind of a mid life crisis. i have a few projects in mind, and i feel like i need to re learn an old skill anyway.

Yes it will always run better with more voltage. About the only time more voltage on a welder will get you into trouble is welding really thin stuff. Then you can pulse it, or should've got a box that can go that thin.

Rated output:
150 Amps at 23.5 VDC, 30% duty cycle (230 V)
90 Amps at 20 VDC, 20% duty cycle (120 V)

Maximum amperage:
30 210 A (230)
30 140 A (120)

https://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/DC12-54.pdf
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #3633
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,169
Dagnabit.

Not only have I only got 15's available in the garage, they are both ganged with other stuff(one is the gfi for all the outdoor and bathrooms, and the other has lights outside and in the garage, as well as a fridge.)

I guess I'll just break lazy and crawl into the roof to get her done. I'll basically be relearning this stuff and it would be silly to start half assed where the whole ass is available.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #3634
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Pictures clintz, the good the bad and the ugly

David
The Good (ish):

... if you ignore the tit where the up meets the down, & the crap back into the corner at the bottom...and...and...

The Bad:

... well, it's still attached pretty good, but damn messy by comparison.

& The Ugly:

... after going back over this with the torch to melt it in properly to both sides. Access to this one was the hardest.

Bear in mind these were all in a difficult position as I couldn't see the weld puddle very well most of the time, couldn't always get the torch or filler angle right either.

Is it a better idea to go vertical down when doing overhead vertical welds so one can see the puddle, or will a messy vertical up still be the better weld?

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?

clintnz screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 01:53 PM
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #3635
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,398
I'd say that considering the shitty conditions and positions you had to do it in, you did a very good job. MIG or stick sure would have been the more appropriate process, but in the end, I'm sure this will do well. God damn, you must have gone through a hell of a lot of argon doing it!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #3636
David R

WELD UP. Down is for car exhaust and a few pipe welders.
Your up looks better anyhow.

Once you get better, you will not have to "go back over it" and should not anyhow.

Thanks for the pictures!

I don't think it could break if you tried.

More heat and move faster will help. It took me years to get good at it.

Lower heat and going slow puts more heat into the metal and makes puddle control harder. Just keep at it.

Looking good
David
Old 09-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #3637
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,993
Yes vertical up for a structural weld. It gives your arc time to dig in and penetrate before the puddle covers it up. You get good penetration with TIG so you should be alright. Besides that bracket will see mostly compresson forces.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:46 AM   #3638
David R

Here is another one. Broken bolt in aluminum motor mount for a radio controlled car. This bolt is no bigger than 3mm. My son welded a nut to it and screwed it out.

I will stop now.....
Old 10-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #3639
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Here is another one. Broken bolt in aluminum motor mount for a radio controlled car. This bolt is no bigger than 3mm. My son welded a nut to it and screwed it out.

I will stop now.....

Look how the heat cooked the galvanized bolt into a zinc oxide powder coating.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:39 AM   #3640
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,343
Quote:
WELD UP. Down is for car exhaust and a few pipe welders.

I used to work next door to a crusty old ex boiler maker - he looked at me in disbelief when I mentioned I was going to vertical down a weld...''No such thing as a vertical down !! That's a farmer's weld!!'' I've tried to stay away from vertical downs, but sometimes with difficult access it's not the best, but the easiest way.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #3641
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,938
Found this in The Thread of Awesome:

Welding in slow motion.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #3642
clintnz

More quality TIG time over the weekend. Having seen these broken off with hard 4x4 use I made the new one a bit stronger than the original.

I'm starting to see how one of those fancy watercooled torches could be nice

Cheers
Clint

Old 10-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #3643
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,935
You're making some cool stuff there Clint. I have to ask, are you using the tig rather than stick welding just for practice/enjoyment, or is there some other reason? I think you've said that the TIG machine will also stick weld, and your MIG welder is over in another building so you don't want to use it. Seems like stick welding would be faster/cheaper.

Just curious, I did all my small projects with an O/A welding setup for a number of years just because I wanted to get good at it, it wasn't exactly the fastest or cheapest way for sure. . .

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #3644
clintnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
You're making some cool stuff there Clint. I have to ask, are you using the tig rather than stick welding just for practice/enjoyment, or is there some other reason? I think you've said that the TIG machine will also stick weld, and your MIG welder is over in another building so you don't want to use it. Seems like stick welding would be faster/cheaper.

Just curious, I did all my small projects with an O/A welding setup for a number of years just because I wanted to get good at it, it wasn't exactly the fastest or cheapest way for sure. . .
I don't have a MIG, I could probably borrow a mate's one if I decided I really needed it. One day it would be nice to have one for exactly this sort of work, but I'm glad we got a TIG first as it has been great for all sorts of other stuff that a MIG wouldn't do so well.

You are right that I'm doing it this way partly for practice & enjoyment. My machine does do DC stick pretty well & I have done a fair bit of hobby stick welding in the past, but I am finding I can lay in a better weld with the TIG, especially out of position. Not having to chip off slag is a nice novelty too Given these suspension mounts are going to take a beating & the welding has to be fairly presentable to pass certification to be road legal the TIG seemed to be the way to go. Next to the overall budget for this project a bottle or 2 of argon isn't too big a deal.

Cheers
Clint

Old 10-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #3645
ivel_86
Oops

Oddometer: 680
Hopefully this has not been asked millions of times. I would like to get a good all around welder for my garage. I currently have a nice old (very old) lincoln buzz box stick welder 220. I also have a Lincoln flux core 110. I would like to have a good all around welder. One that will last like my buzz box has. It was my fathers and I am pretty sure he got it used. Either way I wont be using it a lot just went small project come up. Again sorry I am sure this question has been asked.

Also if you guys want I will nuke this question. I just finally got a decent garage that I can move about in and would like to get it set up right.
OEF 12
ivel_86 is offline   Reply With Quote