Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #3706
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Did you do them?

David
Oh no David I wish, I totally suck as a welder..

Ricardo Kuhn screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 09:59 PM
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #3707
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,228
Brazed, right...?

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #3708
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Brazed with a gas fluxer set up. Braze looks nice, but makes the finished frame heavier than one which has been TIG welded.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #3709
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Brazed with a gas fluxer set up. Braze looks nice...
Nice? I'd go with 'absolutely bloody gorgeous'

Yet again I learn something cos of the welding thread, now I know what a gas fluxer setup is: bubble the acetylene through a liquid flux.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #3710
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,998
Figure just ask here instead of starting a new thread on a relatively related topic.

Plasma Cutters.

Looking into a dual voltage model. I've studied these brands which have a 110/220 model:

Longevity
Lotos
Hobart
Lincoln

Lotos takes the lead in pricing and their pilot arc model also has a "CNC interface" which is why I'm looking for a plasma. It seems the Lotos can be had at half the price of the other three. However, I can't find proof, but seems like a Chinese product. I'm not bashing because it appears a few Chinese products have upped their game lately.

I've read the online reviews for all of these but would like to ask if any inmates here have personal experience or know of anyone who owns one and has gathered their $0.02.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #3711
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Miller spectrum's ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeneRay View Post
Figure just ask here instead of starting a new thread on a relatively related topic.

Plasma Cutters.

Looking into a dual voltage model. I've studied these brands which have a 110/220 model:

Longevity
Lotos
Hobart
Lincoln

Lotos takes the lead in pricing and their pilot arc model also has a "CNC interface" which is why I'm looking for a plasma. It seems the Lotos can be had at half the price of the other three. However, I can't find proof, but seems like a Chinese product. I'm not bashing because it appears a few Chinese products have upped their game lately.

I've read the online reviews for all of these but would like to ask if any inmates here have personal experience or know of anyone who owns one and has gathered their $0.02.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #3712
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
I would be very surprised indeed if you can find any of the lower priced plasma cutters, which arent Chinese made. I guess a Chinese unit might be fine for infrequent use, but if you are looking for something to use more regularly, then an older name brand (non Chinese) or a higher price level name brand would be the one to go for.

I have an old Cebora transformer plasma, maybe 25 years old which still works perfectly when I need it. CNC interface seems pretty much a waste of time to me, if its on a Chinese set.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:09 AM   #3713
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
A used hypertherm will get you further than a new chinese unit Maybe for the same money.

If this is hobby work and your income does not depend on it, the cheaper model may get you buy.

Check this out
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...-and-CEO-Simon

Edit: here is another one. http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ce-Sucks/page2

This is frequent.

I know too much about these.
David

Edit: Almost every machine I own is red, I would not recommend their pasma, there are better ones out there.

David R screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 05:16 AM
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:42 AM   #3714
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

powerful & portable?

I have a number of projects I need to do, and I have a hobart 110 that I've been learning on.

I'm not at all a great weldor, but I think I have outdone its capabilities already and I need to do some thicker material.

My 'main' project is restoring a 75 year old steel boat. And though I'm a newb I really want to learn to weld SS and Aluminum eventually, I don;t think I'll need to weld anything more than 1/4" thick and I would rather learn on a good machine than on junk so I've got some noob questions for you guys.

I don't mind spending a bit to get something good, but I don't want to by stuff twice. and I eventually want to have a welder on the boat, so I want to buy a better welder now, that I can use on 240 in the shop. that in the future can go with me on the boat. Even on dry land, the Hobart is a heavy PITA to move around and stow on the boat.

I like the Miller MaxStar's for obvious size reasons but lack of Alum. is a pretty big deal to me.

Next up is a miller suitcase like the the passport 200. So looking at that I have some questions:

Why does the TIG kit offered with the passport have a regulator? wouldn't it be the same for mig?

if you can add tig to the passport, is it also possible to add Mig to the maxstar and be able to do Alum with a spoolgun?

So then the other problem I have is that I don't really want a generator on the boat. I have a very small diesel generator and plan to build a 12v alternator charger with it. And so I think about maybe a premier power type welder on that driving a mig. But then I'd be limited to a ready welder or go weld, right? And it seems like a premier power doesn't have a lot of fine volt/amp control I think I need to be able to learn what the heck I'm doing. Also in the meantime I have some 4x4 and trailer projects I want to do and don't really want to lug around a diesel engine for those either.

Can a maxstar or passport (or 110 plasma) be driven off of a 3000 watt inverter (w/8-12 6v golf cart batts) ? Or would I have to get a generator to do what I'm thinking?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 05:00 AM
Old 10-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #3715
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
The miller suitcase. I have one. I don't think it will do the aluminum you want, AC TIG is the way to go if you can.

I didn't have much luck running this machine off a cheap 5500watt generator It runs great off my Ranger 250 which is a 9,000 watt generator. Using a welder on crappy power is a good way to smoke it.

A maxter will not run a spool gun. You need Constant voltage power supply.

I have a lincoln V155S and a V160S. They are DC only dual voltage welders. Sweet and portable. No aluminum capabilities there. They both DC tig so carbon steel and stainless can be done.

Any Stick welder will TIG, some better than others, but DC is DC.

The best machine I can think of is a thermal Arc Arcmaster 186. I had one for 7 years in a commercial environment and it finally died. I may just buy another one. I have seen them for $1600. 200 amps stick and TIG AC DC with all the bells and whistles.

Good luck in your adventure
Old 10-26-2013, 05:16 AM   #3716
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The miller suitcase. I have one. I don't think it will do the aluminum you want, AC TIG is the way to go if you can.

I didn't have much luck running this machine off a cheap 5500watt generator It runs great off my Ranger 250 which is a 9,000 watt generator. Using a welder on crappy power is a good way to smoke it.

A maxter will not run a spool gun. You need Constant voltage power supply.

I have a lincoln V155S and a V160S. They are DC only dual voltage welders. Sweet and portable. No aluminum capabilities there. They both DC tig so carbon steel and stainless can be done.

Any Stick welder will TIG, some better than others, but DC is DC.

The best machine I can think of is a thermal Arc Arcmaster 186. I had one for 7 years in a commercial environment and it finally died. I may just buy another one. I have seen them for $1600. 200 amps stick and TIG AC DC with all the bells and whistles.

Good luck in your adventure
Thanks, I guess I should have said 120/240 in the shop. I imagine that out on the boat I'd be 'lucky' to have 20 amp 110 in a marina. I'd like to avoid having to have a massive gen just because I imagine actually using it very little.

I like that machine though but jeeze coupled with a 9k gen that's the back half of my boat. I may have to rethink some things. I've seen some deals on the dynasty machines once in a while, and I just sorta like the idea they can run on local power in the stix somewhere. but they're still bigger than I want I think.

Maybe I need to buckle down and learn Oxi... Might solve all my power/weight problems?

But then again... Hmmmmmm

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...22-163206.html
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 07:20 AM
Old 10-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #3717
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Miller spectrum's ?
Not that I ruled them out. I know Miller's reputation but I just couldn't find a lot of feedback on the units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I would be very surprised indeed if you can find any of the lower priced plasma cutters, which arent Chinese made. I guess a Chinese unit might be fine for infrequent use, but if you are looking for something to use more regularly, then an older name brand (non Chinese) or a higher price level name brand would be the one to go for.

I have an old Cebora transformer plasma, maybe 25 years old which still works perfectly when I need it. CNC interface seems pretty much a waste of time to me, if its on a Chinese set.
I intend to start off to tinker but if my ideas take flight, then I'd be looking into much more frequent use. Even some of the Chinese brands will offer an optional 3 year warranty at a competitive price.

I'm not sure what the "interface" is on the Chinese brands. I would assume it's a feedback or Torch OK signal to notify the CNC controller that the plasma has struck an arc. Dunno.

Quote:
A used hypertherm will get you further than a new chinese unit Maybe for the same money.

If this is hobby work and your income does not depend on it, the cheaper model may get you buy.

Check this out
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...-and-CEO-Simon

Edit: here is another one. http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ce-Sucks/page2

This is frequent.

I know too much about these.
David

Edit: Almost every machine I own is red, I would not recommend their pasma, there are better ones out there.
A used anything that's real quality is always a choice but trying to find one in good condition at a reasonable price is the gamble.

Wow. Those links are pretty brutal. Guess I'll avoid Longevity, huh?
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #3718
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeneRay View Post

Plasma Cutters.

Longevity
Lotos
Hobart
Lincoln

Most 120V plasma cutters are a waste of money. Unless you are cutting thin sheet metal.

What model Lincoln are you looking at?

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #3719
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post

Maybe I need to buckle down and learn Oxi... Might solve all my power/weight problems?
These look interesting:

http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/index.htm

Anybody try one?
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:28 AM   #3720
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
These look interesting:

http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/index.htm

Anybody try one?
Yeah but Jeeze! 750 with regulators, and no tanks? It is nice and I like how compact but could it work that much 'better' than a used $150 Victor?
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale