Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #361
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,870
I've never used a generator welder combo, but I used to spend a lot of time on a Google Usenet Group - sci.engr.joining.welding where lots of hobbyists and pros swapped info. The Miller Bobcat series seemed to get lots of high marks. And naturally lots of folks swear by their red machines too.

Also, Miller an Hobart are both ITW companies and many models share components under the paint scheme. Hobart is usually considered the lower priced cousin to the blue machines.

Other things that folks on the usenet group considered on welder/generators was what kind of prime mover. Gas or diesel? Onan, Kohler, Honda, Ford, etc. ? How hard to get parts for the engine?

Lots of choices.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #362
Intrigue_262000
Did you see that wheelie?

Oddometer: 1,040
I am using a friends lincoln mig for small jobs around the garage. I am in no way shape or form a welder. I was using argon gas and seemed to be pretty successful at making metal stick.(not to bad looking of a weld either for having no teacher). My question is this....The tank ran out and I need to weld a pulley for my washer.(long story). Is their any way to do it with no gas and no flux core wire? Should I just quit being so cheap and just spend the $20 for flux core? I really dont want to get the tank filled again due to the fact that it empties so fast.
Intrigue_262000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #363
SkylineKeith
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 1,613
I kinda gathered that the Hobart was ranked third but still it cost more. Really, in my mind it has come down to the Lincoln and the Miller. For under or at $3K it will be gas but I prefer the honda motor. The bobcat series is the one I am looking at in the Miller series and I do not believe that Lincoln delineates other than capabilities and performance. On Ebay, both are at $3K new. I guess it's a wash and I have to decide if I want blue or red.

Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
I've never used a generator welder combo, but I used to spend a lot of time on a Google Usenet Group - sci.engr.joining.welding where lots of hobbyists and pros swapped info. The Miller Bobcat series seemed to get lots of high marks. And naturally lots of folks swear by their red machines too.

Also, Miller an Hobart are both ITW companies and many models share components under the paint scheme. Hobart is usually considered the lower priced cousin to the blue machines.

Other things that folks on the usenet group considered on welder/generators was what kind of prime mover. Gas or diesel? Onan, Kohler, Honda, Ford, etc. ? How hard to get parts for the engine?

Lots of choices.
SkylineKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:25 AM   #364
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrigue_262000
I am using a friends lincoln mig for small jobs around the garage. I am in no way shape or form a welder. I was using argon gas and seemed to be pretty successful at making metal stick.(not to bad looking of a weld either for having no teacher). My question is this....The tank ran out and I need to weld a pulley for my washer.(long story). Is their any way to do it with no gas and no flux core wire? Should I just quit being so cheap and just spend the $20 for flux core? I really dont want to get the tank filled again due to the fact that it empties so fast.
Unfortunately solid wire will just pop and sputter/spatter/etc without shielding gas. Remember if you switch to flux core wire you'll need to switch polarity on the machine (should be simple to do).

How fast is the tank emptying? I use a small 40 cu ft tank to fit where i store my welding cart. At 20 cu ft / hr that equates to two hours of trigger time, which is months and months of small jobs around the garage for me. Unless I forget to close the valve on the tank in which case it lasts about 2 days or less

Around here a refill for the 40 cu ft tank of C25 (and the more normal 80 cu ft tank) runs just under $20 as of my last refill almost a year ago.

I will only use flux core now if I have to work on something outside in the breeze where the gas gets blown away - otherwise too much smoke and spatter and having to remove slag between passes is a PITA.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #365
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeFearKeith
I kinda gathered that the Hobart was ranked third but still it cost more. Really, in my mind it has come down to the Lincoln and the Miller. For under or at $3K it will be gas but I prefer the honda motor. The bobcat series is the one I am looking at in the Miller series and I do not believe that Lincoln delineates other than capabilities and performance. On Ebay, both are at $3K new. I guess it's a wash and I have to decide if I want blue or red.

Keith
Hi Keith,

Here is a Ranger 10000, it's a 10500Kw generator with a 20Hp Honda that has 225 Amps of welding output.
http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...t.aspx?p=45753

3 year warranty that can be extended to 5 years.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #366
SkylineKeith
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 1,613
What is your opinion of the kohler vs honda engined welder generators? What is the mtbf and the mttr between the two?

Thanks for the info on the Lincoln welder generator. Three extra hp (23) on the kohler vs several hundred more for the (20) hp honda?

Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar
Hi Keith,

Here is a Ranger 10000, it's a 10500Kw generator with a 20Hp Honda that has 225 Amps of welding output.
http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...t.aspx?p=45753

3 year warranty that can be extended to 5 years.
SkylineKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #367
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,660
Quote:
What is your opinion of the kohler vs honda engined welder generators? What is the mtbf and the mttr between the two?

Thanks for the info on the Lincoln welder generator. Three extra hp (23) on the kohler vs several hundred more for the (20) hp honda?

Keith
The guys the make the G0-Devil duck hunting boats/motors down here in south Louisiana (customers of mine as well) sing praises of each engine. Each one being just as reliable as the other.

Honda replacement parts (starters, ignitions, air filters, wear items, etc.) cost roughly double as compared to the Kohler Vangard series in similar horsepower's.

Dirty
Old 12-12-2007, 05:44 PM   #368
mutineer
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,902
here is another minor league player question

is this welder enough to do something like floorpans on a car, maybe making some bent tube luggage racks, maybe motorcycle frame repair and the odd welding project

the attraction to me is size, uses household current and portability (easy to toss on the car and take over to someone else's garage for a project)

how long should one expect a 24lb tank of Argon to last?

flux core or Argon shielded Mig

Firepower Model FP120 Dual-Purpose MIG Welding System

here are the specs

Input
Voltage
120V
60HZ

Input Current Amps

Welding
Output
Voltage

Maximum
Output
Amps

Open
Circuit
Voltage

Rated
Output
Amps

Rated
Duty
Cycle
20%

Maximum
Thickness
Capacity
1/4"

Dimensions
H: 12-3/4"
W: 9-3/4"
D: 17-3/8"

Weight
51 lbs.

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon

mutineer screwed with this post 12-12-2007 at 05:53 PM
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #369
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Oddometer: 3,650
Mutt,

It would probably be enough to do what you want, but 110 amps on a 20% duty cycle is pretty weak. You're going to wind up pushing it to do even the most simple jobs.

For just a little more money, you can get into a Hobart 140 amp machine and have a much better welder for the money. If you don't have 220 volt capability, the Hobart, Miller, Lincoln 115v machines will suprise you with their capabilities. There are quite a few no name brand welders out there, but I would stay away from them because parts support will be a big issue. You're always going to try and push these smaller machines harder than they were meant, so repairs can/will be a real concern.

The one you're looking at is about $433 on Amazon and you can get into a Hobart 140 for about $509. Much better welder for a little more dough.

http://store.cyberweld.com/hobhan135.html

As for the gas, get the biggest cylinder you can afford. The cost of the C25 isn't the issue, it's the hassle of getting it filled that's the pain. If you shut the valve off as soon as you're done welding, it will last the average hobbiest a good long time.

Chris
KLboxeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #370
mutineer
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLboxeR
Mutt,

It would probably be enough to do what you want, but 110 amps on a 20% duty cycle is pretty weak. You're going to wind up pushing it to do even the most simple jobs.

For just a little more money, you can get into a Hobart 140 amp machine and have a much better welder for the money. If you don't have 220 volt capability, the Hobart, Miller, Lincoln 115v machines will suprise you with their capabilities. There are quite a few no name brand welders out there, but I would stay away from them because parts support will be a big issue. You're always going to try and push these smaller machines harder than they were meant, so repairs can/will be a real concern.

The one you're looking at is about $433 on Amazon and you can get into a Hobart 140 for about $509. Much better welder for a little more dough.

http://store.cyberweld.com/hobhan135.html

As for the gas, get the biggest cylinder you can afford. The cost of the C25 isn't the issue, it's the hassle of getting it filled that's the pain. If you shut the valve off as soon as you're done welding, it will last the average hobbiest a good long time.

Chris
I was checking out those brands

bought a shitty cheap chinses flux core to get my head around welding a little bit

got sick of the splattermatic in about four minutes

found the FP box used for 200 bones

I just want to make sure I am not going to all Fred Flintstone if I put floorpans in a car or I would find a luggage rack flipping me off my DRZ as it pops loose and gets into my wheel

there is a place not far from my office I can get gas so it won't be too bad

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #371
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Oddometer: 3,650
If you can score one for $200, it might not be a bad idea. Just make sure you can get the consumable parts like tips, gas shield and possibly the inner liner for the lead and gun. Those things can go bad pretty often and if you can't find them, you're out of business.

If you've found you like welding and want to stick with it, you may want to save the bucks and go to a 220v unit instead. That's where you'll wind up eventually so bite the bullet now and have the garage wired and get a 200 amp or larger welder. In the long haul you may save some bucks by just getting what you really want now. Besides, I know you're not afraid to drop the coin
KLboxeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:15 AM   #372
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
Quote:
Here is an aftermarket kit to convert your Lincoln "buzz box"

http://www.tigdepot.net/products2_pa...?categoryID=67
as I understand it, this converts a Lincoln AC225 buzzbox to TIG? Is it able to go back and forth between TIG and stick process after?
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #373
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Quote:

Keith
Both engines are good. Lincoln sells 10 Kohlers to every one Honda. I think the Kohlers are great engines and I would buy one over a Honda if it was my money.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:49 PM   #374
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO
as I understand it, this converts a Lincoln AC225 buzzbox to TIG? Is it able to go back and forth between TIG and stick process after?
Yes it still stick welds.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:33 PM   #375
Dano 407
One Man Wolfpack

Oddometer: 6,296
Quote:
Both engines are good. Lincoln sells 10 Kohlers to every one Honda. I think the Kohlers are great engines and I would buy one over a Honda if it was my money.
I bought a Ranger with a Kohler because of the price increase in going to the Honda. By the way, I love the thing.

Are you supposed to tell people how to jump start a car with an engine driven welder? I didnt think so; it wasnt in the owners manual (but it works like a charm).

D