ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #3811
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer
 
MiteyF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan... temporarily
Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Wait....wut?????? The rack is not chrome, it is chrome plated like said only a few 1000ths thick. Chrome plating commonly starts with a layer of copper then a layer of nickle and finally a layer of chrome. Chrome alloys are commonly welded and stainless steel is predominately nickle and chrome. So where did you come up with it can't be welded? Hexavalent chrome is what is hazardous and it is a very small % of the fumes given off but regardless breathing any fumes should be avoided. If you want to remove it you could use emery cloth (sand paper)
He said "chrome" when he s*technically* hould have said "chromed". This is common language. You're nitpicking, and everyone else knew what he meant.
__________________
People tell me I have a motorcycle problem. I tell them, I may have problems, but motorcycles are the solution.
MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #3812
HellSickle
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 8,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Wait....wut?????? The rack is not chrome, it is chrome plated like said only a few 1000ths thick. Chrome plating commonly starts with a layer of copper then a layer of nickle and finally a layer of chrome. Chrome alloys are commonly welded and stainless steel is predominately nickle and chrome. So where did you come up with it can't be welded? Hexavalent chrome is what is hazardous and it is a very small % of the fumes given off but regardless breathing any fumes should be avoided. If you want to remove it you could use emery cloth (sand paper)
Hexavalent Chromium is dangerous. Still, you should be careful with regular chrome as it may convert, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #3813
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 3,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
He said "chrome" when he s*technically* hould have said "chromed". This is common language. You're nitpicking, and everyone else knew what he meant.


he "technically" should

Nit picking, detailed, exact..what ever. Hey you got any nits you need picked??? Apparently, I'm good at it! Relax mang

I was more concerned with his saying you can't weld chrome (or chromed) because that is simply wrong.
__________________
"I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it."
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #3814
Bbasso
my name is Rob
 
Bbasso's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: South Carolina!
Oddometer: 1,868
This has probably been asked, sorry way too many post to dig through for a reasonably quick answer.

I have done some mig welding in the past, I need to fab up some metal and welding is the only solution.
Most of the thickness will be 1/8 th or less.

What affordable welder that can be bought, hopefully used will do the job?

Budget: little as possible.

Thank you.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #3815
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 530
My welding q:
I just want to weld some small scale things, .05" thickness tubing, etc. - can I do that with a cheap arc stick welder and patience? It doesn't have to be pretty, or even that strong.
__________________
Ninja 650R Tourer/Commuter, TW200 Playbike
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:03 AM   #3816
David R
I been called a Nut Job..
 
David R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: In Da Swamps of WNY
Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
My welding q:
I just want to weld some small scale things, .05" thickness tubing, etc. - can I do that with a cheap arc stick welder and patience? It doesn't have to be pretty, or even that strong.
Fat Chance

.05" thick steel requires 50 amps as a rule of thumb to weld in one pass. Tubing is more difficult to weld than plate. I suggest tig for the heat control. Mig will do it, this is a little thinner than exhaust tube. Stick welding exhaust can be done. Mig is MUCH easier.

I am not saying it can't be done but....


David
__________________
2012 R1200R ! 2000 R1100RT (retired), 1976 R75/6, 11 Versys
There is a seat for everyone.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:06 AM   #3817
David R
I been called a Nut Job..
 
David R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: In Da Swamps of WNY
Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
This has probably been asked, sorry way too many post to dig through for a reasonably quick answer.

I have done some mig welding in the past, I need to fab up some metal and welding is the only solution.
Most of the thickness will be 1/8 th or less.

What affordable welder that can be bought, hopefully used will do the job?

Budget: little as possible.

Thank you.
Almost any welder will do 1/8"

David
__________________
2012 R1200R ! 2000 R1100RT (retired), 1976 R75/6, 11 Versys
There is a seat for everyone.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #3818
sailah
Lampin' it
 
sailah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Turning expensive metal into scrap
Oddometer: 5,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Cold saw's got nothing on the HEM saw. We have a Cyclone @ work with 24" of auto-feed. http://www.metalsaw.com/HEM-Cyclone-Semi-Auto.cfm
Meh, there's a really nice horizontal bandsaw at TechShop and I usually prefer the cold saw for the types of tubing and such I cut. I find it more accurate than the band saw. JMHO
__________________
We're not out here to rough it. We're here to smooth it . Things are rough enough in town.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #3819
HellSickle
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 8,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Fat Chance

.05" thick steel requires 50 amps as a rule of thumb to weld in one pass. Tubing is more difficult to weld than plate. I suggest tig for the heat control. Mig will do it, this is a little thinner than exhaust tube. Stick welding exhaust can be done. Mig is MUCH easier.

I am not saying it can't be done but....


David
If it's mild steel, I prefer a gas torch for anything that thin. MIG would be my second choice.
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #3820
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist
 
CodyY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 9,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Meh, there's a really nice horizontal bandsaw at TechShop and I usually prefer the cold saw for the types of tubing and such I cut. I find it more accurate than the band saw. JMHO
Really? If we slow it down a bit it'll hold a couple thou all day long.
__________________
Not an ACTUAL motorcyclist
CodyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #3821
sailah
Lampin' it
 
sailah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Turning expensive metal into scrap
Oddometer: 5,351
I think we are comparing apples to oranges. You obviously have a really nice horizontal saw with auto feed. Ours is a JET with hydraulic down feed and that's it. I can line up a cut in tubing faster and more accurate on a cold saw than setting up the cut on a bandsaw. Angle changes, vice clamping etc are all faster on a cold saw than bandsaw. I'm sure for automated cutting the bandsaw you have wins hands down.

I will also say for solid stock the bandsaw is the clear winner.
__________________
We're not out here to rough it. We're here to smooth it . Things are rough enough in town.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #3822
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist
 
CodyY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 9,483


Indeed. This one's a beast. Thats 6" od DOM that had just come out
__________________
Not an ACTUAL motorcyclist
CodyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #3823
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick
 
KTM640Dakar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Oxbow Lake
Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
This has probably been asked, sorry way too many post to dig through for a reasonably quick answer.

I have done some mig welding in the past, I need to fab up some metal and welding is the only solution.
Most of the thickness will be 1/8 th or less.

What affordable welder that can be bought, hopefully used will do the job?

Budget: little as possible.

Thank you.
The Power MIG 140C. Runs on 120V and welds thin sheet well. The instructions on the inside panel of the 140 has the correct settings to help you set the machine to weld the metal thickness you are using.

You can get one at any welders supply store.

__________________
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #3824
David R
I been called a Nut Job..
 
David R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: In Da Swamps of WNY
Oddometer: 2,389
That is a good machine, but don't let anybody kid you it will not put out 140 amps at welding voltage on a regular 110 volt circuit. 90-100 amps would be more like it.

SURE it will weld the .050 pipe you were asking about and do a nice job.



Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar View Post
The Power MIG 140C. Runs on 120V and welds thin sheet well. The instructions on the inside panel of the 140 has the correct settings to help you set the machine to weld the metal thickness you are using.

You can get one at any welders supply store.

__________________
2012 R1200R ! 2000 R1100RT (retired), 1976 R75/6, 11 Versys
There is a seat for everyone.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #3825
little_twin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
little_twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Oddometer: 398
I am just looking for a little critique on my welds. I just picked up a miller 211 and am loving it.

Here are some of my most recent, any feedback is appreciated.

Bumpstop mounts


Boxed in engine mount


Plated front spring hanger to crossmember


Rock sliders




All welds were lightly brushed or have no clean up post weld.
little_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014