Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #3931
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
I will be sure and NOT work in that shop. On acetylene regulator should be turned on no more than 1.5 turns and pressure should be between 5 and 10 psi. 15 could create an explosive situation.

Dropped and banged up regulators should be replaced.

The oxy/acetylene torch is nothing more than a bomb waiting on someone that does not know how to use it.
Yup. Even a tiny leak in the acetelyne could fill your shop with enough gas to take out half a block. ALWAYS leak test after changing tanks. Also, periodically pressurize your torch, then turn off the main valve. If you see the pressure slowly dropping, you have a leak somewhere.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #3932
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,998
Sounds like the diaphragm on your oxygen regulator is fluttering.
Yes never open up a acetylene bottle without a regulator or over 15psi. Acetylene will self ignite if released into air over 15psi.

A small softball sized ballon of acetylene can blow out glass windows inside a building if lit. So you can imagine what a beach ball sized volume of that gas can do. Kill you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #3933
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar View Post
Sounds like the diaphragm on your oxygen regulator is fluttering.
So is that a real problem as long as there are no tears or leaks in the oxygen circuit? The opinions I came up with searching the 'net were pretty much split on "that happens sometimes" or "needs overhaul or replaced". I saw no problems with the preheat flame or cutting flame whenever it did it.

I haven't had a chance to recheck it yet - other stuff keeps breaking down that needs immediate fixing first.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #3934
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

I talked to one of my repair guys today and he said to set the oxygen at 40 psi and see if it vibrates. Sometimes the diaphragm resonates due to harmonics of the gas, hose length, pressure and acts like a cymbal. Most oxygen regulators are only warrantied for a year. You should always turn off the tank first then empty the has out of the torch then back off of the key on the front of the regulator. It sounds like that is what you have been doing so you can expect your regulator to last longer that way. Also slowly open your bottle when you turn your tank on. You can actually create a huge amount of heat if you open up the oxygen regulator with 1800 psi of tank pressure with all the valves closed. That is why they always tell you not to get grease or junk in your regulator fitting that screws into the gas bottle on your oxygen. If you were to get grease inside the threads the pressure of the oxygen rushing into the fitting will ignite the grease.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #3935
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

So try 4 or 5 pounds on your fuel regulator and 40psi on your oxy regulator. It may still chirp or it may stay quite. If it chirps have a welding distributor rebuild the diaphragm. If you feel like you can do it your self then go to the Seal Seat website and order regulator parts. The diaphragm is made of rubber and can be replaced.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:28 AM   #3936
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar View Post
A small softball sized ballon of acetylene can blow out glass windows inside a building if lit.
If it's just full of acet it will only be an orange fire ball. If you mix oxy into it you will have a serious loud bright bang...depending on how much oxy is in the mix. Guy Fawkes night in New Zealand is a fun time with a bonfire, a packet of balloons and a gas set.....
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #3937
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

That's right motu. Be careful of your eardrums.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #3938
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 745
my home 110 MIG is giving me fits. has anyone ever had the wire arc right before it goes into the liner?! the miller rep who comes to my shop at least once week looked at me like I had three heads when I told him. he is going to comp me a new liner for it but I really don't think its the problem.

this thing has maybe had 2-3 max 10# spools run through it I highly doubt the liner is worn and it was always in a clean environment at least clean for a welder.

I used the thing to weld up a new welding table like 2 months ago and it worked great. went out to weld up some steel targets for this past weekend and this happens. in 10+ years of welding I have never seen this.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #3939
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,944
Thanks much KTM640Dakar! The resonance idea makes sense (based on other quirky resonating things I've seen in my lifetime). I'm pretty sure I remember the noise becoming less frequent just by adjusting the oxygen up from around 33 to closer to 35. It also fits with several of the descriptions I read here and there on other sites/forums.

Testing it at 40psi with the number 1 tip may just tell the tale. A follow up test with a smaller tip and appropriate lower pressure would help with confirmation.

And yep, I've always been careful cracking open tanks to minimize hits to regulators, and have always bled down hoses and backed off regulator screws. I was raised to take care of tools since I was a kid. Maybe why I have so many antique tools in use in the shop.

You mention DIY diaphragm repair - Sounds like since I'm proficient in changing diaphrams in Mikuni and Bing motorcycle carbs, I'd stand a fair chance of repairing the regulator diaphragm successfully. But I also have some good repair shops around here, if needed.

As to all the comments about the power of acetylene with and without oxygen, I remember as kids about 10-12 yo one of the neighbor kids had a carbide cannon (his dad loved to play with things that went bang and always supervised). Once you see how small a scoop of carbide into the small amount of water and how small the volume of acetylene in the firing chamber produces such a big boom, you kind of get the idea.

Anyway, thanks again. Looks like I'll have time to check it some more this afternoon.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #3940
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,366
I have a Henrob (Dillon) torch that runs with 4psi for oxy and acet. When setting it up at home I couldn't get the damn thing to work, and was getting really pissed off - I'd used the torch before with no problem. Then I saw I had anti blow back valves on my regs...these came from my shop when I sold it...left the crap regs there. The blow back valves cut the pressure to the torch, so the pressure at the torch is not the pressure at the reg. I removed the valves and set my pressures with a pressure gauge on the hose.

Do you have anti blow back valves ?
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #3941
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
If it's just full of acet it will only be an orange fire ball. If you mix oxy into it you will have a serious loud bright bang...depending on how much oxy is in the mix. Guy Fawkes night in New Zealand is a fun time with a bonfire, a packet of balloons and a gas set.....
Balloons?? Try 55 gallon yard & garden trash bags like we were doing in High School right after the Metal Shop teacher showed us the dangers of O/A with a little balloon. Prolly did 20 of them over a period of a couple of weeks. Local Police Dept was getting pissed at all of these mysterious large explosions in a residential neighborhood. Final straw was 2 friends using a rose bud to fill the trash bag. As the bag rapidly filled, a static charge left them with blown ear drums and no eye brows or hair on their foreheads! Holding the bag so to speak.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #3942
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,256
young boys are so fukin' stoopid

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #3943
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
young boys are so fukin' stoopid
Can't believe we are still alive!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:20 AM   #3944
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
Thanks, but that didn't relate to my question. BTW, what are you cutting with pressures that high? 10"-12" thick stock with tips bigger than #6?
Whatever needed cutting. Scarf teeth off a bucket? Pre-heat some aluminum? Pop some holes in sheet metal? Nip the corners off some 1/4" flat bar?

Grab a torch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
I will be sure and NOT work in that shop. On acetylene regulator should be turned on no more than 1.5 turns and pressure should be between 5 and 10 psi. 15 could create an explosive situation.

Dropped and banged up regulators should be replaced.

The oxy/acetylene torch is nothing more than a bomb waiting on someone that does not know how to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexico505 View Post
Yea, I agree. I run 5 on the acet and about 25 on the oxygen.

Notice the max is 15 for acet.

Erik
Thats ok, I don't work there anymore either.

Every time I turned the pressures down to spec one of the "Ive been doin' this for 30 years and you don't know shit" guys goes behind me and cranks em up.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #3945
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,390
Any thoughts on welding 12l14?

I am making pannier mounts for my ninja and the fronts shown are crs dom tubing which tig welds great. I machined threaded caps for the tubing and all was well.

The back studs which aren't shown, I mistakenly grabbed a piece of leaded steel because they were so short I decided to lathe it out of rod.

I only figured it out when it was not welding normally. But I did seem to get a decent weld. This part isn't critical as the front studs are are welded tubing and overkill as it is. Plus my wolfman bags have straps over the seats.

Does this weld stand a chance in the lightly loaded scenario or should I cut it off and start over? Any recommendations for steel that machines well on a home lathe setup and also welds well? 12l14 sure does turn nicely.

I'll toss up a pic of the actual welds when I get home. I was tig welding, red tungsten, pure argon, 100a 70s6 filler

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote