Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #421
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar
Lincoln makes a gassless nozzle for the Magnum 100 gun that protects the threads and make it easy to see. It is part#KP1939-1.

If you have a Lincoln Magnum 200 gun then the gasless nozzle is KP1947-1.

They are just high temp plastic cones that hide the threads from spatter.

They are simple but very effective.
Oh, nice. Thanks KTM. That's what I was talking about. I was thinking I was going to have to make something from a small TIG torch nozzle.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:38 AM   #422
bosco
Raybanned

Oddometer: 11,592
Here's a Question That May've Been Asked Already.

But I'm too lazy to read all 30 pages.

So my shop project is temporarily on hold while the house is being restored but I'm slowly gathering shop-like materials on the side.

One of the acqusitions intended for the shop is a new welder and my question is which is a better idea; stick or wire-feed?

I love wire machines, they make such purdy beads, but here in the boondocks the good ol' E6011 is about the only thing that will penetrate the dried on cowshit and rust and I can only afford one machine. Is there a wire machine that can handle a less than perfect welding surface?
Old 02-20-2008, 03:56 PM   #423
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
But I'm too lazy to read all 30 pages.

So my shop project is temporarily on hold while the house is being restored but I'm slowly gathering shop-like materials on the side.

One of the acqusitions intended for the shop is a new welder and my question is which is a better idea; stick or wire-feed?

I love wire machines, they make such purdy beads, but here in the boondocks the good ol' E6011 is about the only thing that will penetrate the dried on cowshit and rust and I can only afford one machine. Is there a wire machine that can handle a less than perfect welding surface?
Get yourself the biggest wire feed welder that you can afford. Use flux cored Innershield NR211MP welding wire if you want to copy the characteristics of stick welding. NR211 is like 6011 but in a wire form. The flux is on the inside rather then on the outside like a stick electrode. Innershield is good for burning through mill scale and to some extent rust. It is good welding practice to grind your metal clean before welding.

Or buy a machine that will do both like a Power MIG 350.

Power MIG 350MP
Power MIG. The Professional's Choice.

K2403-1 Power MIG 350MP Push Model 208/230/460/575/1/50/60

Industrial Price: 4509.00 (USD) *See Details

When you need more than just a MIG machine, the Power MIG® 350MP is the choice for you. Lincoln Chopper Technology® delivers more welding processes — MIG and flux-cored, along with excellent stick welding, TIG and advanced processes such as Power Mode™ and Pulse-on-Pulse®. In addition, future waveforms of special or improved welding processes can be downloaded into the Power MIG, making it expandable. This means the welder you buy today won’t be obsolete tomorrow. Factor in the simplicity and sophistication of synergic control, and you’ll agree — no other power source in this category offers so much!

Advantage Lincoln
Arc Performance:
Lincoln Chopper Technology® delivers high quality welds by increasing the control over the welding arc.
Multi-Process capable — Welds MIG, flux-cored, stick, TIG, pulsed MIG, and advanced processes like Pulse-On-Pulse™ and Power Mode®.
Pulse-on-Pulse™ improves cleaning action when welding aluminum and delivers a TIG-like appearance to the weld beads.
Power Mode® maintains a stable, smooth arc for short arc welding on thin material – great arc length control for aluminum welding.
Synergic control of voltage with wire feed speed allows you to set weld procedures with only one control for simplicity. Superb Quality:
Rugged cast aluminum industrial wire drive features dual driven rolls, easy-turn numeric tension indicator, brass-to-brass gun connections and Lincoln’s 100% wire-supporting split wire guide system.
Three-year warranty on parts and labor (90 days warranty on gun). Professional Features:
Push-Pull or Spool Gun Ready — The Power MIG® 350MP has the electronics built-in to drive either a spool gun or push-pull gun giving you more ways to feed aluminum.
115V auxiliary receptacle to power a grinder or other auxiliary equipment in your work area.
A second gas solenoid is built-in for spool gun use or TIG welding.
Dual Procedure capable — Select easily between either two welding procedures or two welding modes.

Physical specifications
Weight:255 lbs. (116 kgs. )
Dimensions (in) H x W x D : 31.8 x 18.9 x 38.8
Dimensions (mm) H x W x D : 808 x 408 x 985

Processes
Stick, TIG, MIG, Pulsed, Flux-Cored

Unit Includes
Power MIG 350MP, Magnum 300 Gun and 15 ft. (4.5m) Cable, .035" (0.9 mm)/.045" (1.2 mm) Drive Rolls and Guide for Steel, Regulator and Hose, Work Clamp and Cable, 230V Input Cord and Plug.

Recommended General Options
X2403Extended Warranty for Power MIG 350MP
K1702-1Dual Cylinder Mntg Kit
K2378-1Canvas Cover
KP1696-030SDrive Roll Kit - .023-.030" (0.6-0.8mm) Solid Wire
KP1696-035SDrive Roll Kit - .035" (0.9mm) Solid Wire
KP1696-1Drive Roll Kit - Combination .035" / .045" Solid Wire

View all General Options
KP1696-2Drive Roll Kit - .040" (1.0mm) Solid Wire
KP1696-045SDrive Roll Kit - .045" (1.1mm) Solid Wire
KP1697-035CDrive Roll Kit - .035" (0.9mm) Cored Wire
KP1697-045CDrive Roll Kit - .045" (1.1mm) Cored Wire
KP1695-035ADrive Roll Kit - .035" (0.9mm) Aluminum Wire
KP1695-3/64ADrive Roll Kit - 3/64" (1.2mm) Aluminum Wire

Recommended Stick Options
K875Accessory Kit - 150 Amp
K704Accessory Kit - 400 Amp
K857Remote Output Control
K857-1Remote Output Control

Recommended TIG Options
K1782-2PTA-17 TIG Torch (12.5 ft 2pc)
K1782-4PTA-17 TIG Torch (25 ft 2pc)
K1783-2PTA-26 TIG Torch (12.5 ft 2pc)
K1783-4PTA-26 TIG Torch (25 ft 2pc)
KP508Parts Kit
KP509Parts Kit

View all TIG Options
K870Foot Amptrol
K963-3Hand Amptrol
K814Arc Start Switch

Recommended Wire Feeder Options
K489-8Fast-Mate Adapter Kit
K2447-1Python-Plus Push-Pull Gun, Air-Cooled, 15 ft.
K2447-2Python-Plus Push-Pull Gun, Air-Cooled, 25 ft.
K2447-3Python-Plus Push-Pull Gun, Air-Cooled, 50 ft.
K2296-2Prince XL Push-Pull Gun, Air-Cooled, 25 ft, 3/8" Barrel
K2154-1Push-Pull Torch Connection Kit

View all Wire Feeder Options
K468Spindle Adapter for Small Spools

Recommended Spool Gun Options
K2490-1Magnum 250LX Spool Gun, Air-Cooled, 25 ft.
K2519-1Control Cable Extension
K1738-1Spool Gun Holder for Power MIG

Welding Specifications
Rated CC DC Output Amps/Volts/Duty CycleRated CV Output Amps/Volts/Duty CycleOutput RangeWire Feed Speed Range (IPM)Wire Feed Speed Range (M/MIN)Solid Wire Size RangeCored Wire Size Range
300/32/60%300/32/60%5-350A DC50-7001.3-17.7.023-.045".035-.045"

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #424
STinner
any direction will do

Oddometer: 59
must be a lincoln salesman

i had a bad day at work and this thread has cheered me up. thank you.
what'd you do copy your sales pamphlets? i do have to say my dad payed for me to go to Lincoln's welding school back in 1973 for $300 i recieved a 10-week course that taught how to weld 5p rod through the low-hy rod and two weeks on all position pipe and 2 weeks with tig on pipe also. man i thought i was tuff shit coming out of that school with 3 welding codes under my belt...........then i got a job at the old american shipbuilding yard in lorain ohio. HA! i didnt know how to weld like i thought. those ol' boys who could weld on their heads and blind at the same time.......ha ha ha it took me a while but i'm proud to say if you want to know what a weld is supposed to look like look at mine. yep 35 yrs later ha ha ha.
anyway lincoln doesnt make the best welding equipment on this planet, maybe the most expensive but not the best. they just make more of them too. personally i shine over to miller equipment and i'm talkin about their whole line. their 110v mig machines are junk but i will say the ones you buy from welding supply houses are better than the ones they cram into the home depots and lowe's.
oh yeah, nr-211 will not weld through heavy scale or years of paint, niether will solid wire.
all right enough bitchin'.

my rules for satisfactory weld production:
1. graduate from a GOOD welding school
2. have the right attitude
3. do not be afraid of occasionally barbequeing your own skin
4. be comfortable
5. learn to weld both l & r handed
6. use the right rod/wire for the base metal to be welded
7. try to avoid standing under a gutter with holes in it.
8. use the right polarity; flux-core and solid wire are different
9. test your heat before commiting to the job at hand
10. learn how to weld so well that when you have to lay on your back in a spot where only you can get to holding the lense in your left hand and reaching around with your right hand to put in 3 passes with 7018 the welding inspector believes you when you say it looks good. (real story-perry nuclear power plant 1983)
11. make up your own mind if you want to believe that some old fart can teach you some tricks.

ahhhhh i feel better now

dave
STinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #425
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,706
Alum welding

Am making an aluminum box to be welded at a weld shop. Is there an issue with welding 6063-T5 with 6061-T6. Halfway through fabbing when I realized it. Thanks
Dirt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #426
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Oddometer: 3,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by STinner

what'd you do copy your sales pamphlets?
Um... yea, he probably did.

KTM640 IS an engineer for Lincoln and one WOULD expect him to promote Lincoln's products. Many of us have a different brand preference, but we've managed to keep brand bashing out of this thread in the interest of learning and sharing infomation.

Your resume is impressive and we hope you'll share some tricks and tips with us amateurs.

Chris
Old 02-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #427
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,889
Quote:Get yourself the biggest wire feed welder that you can afford.

If they are still on the market, you may want to look at the Panasonic Gunslinger. I can't recall if its a 260 or 360 amp model, but its multi-process(MIG, TIG, stick). Panasonic makes many of the robotic welders in auto factories. I've read more than one pro opinion that it has been a greatlt overlooked machine.

I came really close to getting one after I learned the basics of MIG. And now, of course I can no longer afford one because of all the stray motorcycles that follow me home.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:43 AM   #428
RAW
stamen in the sniffer

Oddometer: 3,838
Do I need to back-gas a seam in Cor-ten if I'm just fusion-welding?
What about with filler?

How crucial is it to back-gas a seam in Stainless for fusion-welding?
and with filler? What about a trailing shield?
Old 02-22-2008, 09:49 AM   #429
bosco
Raybanned

Oddometer: 11,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar
Get yourself the biggest wire feed welder that you can afford. Use flux cored Innershield NR211MP welding wire if you want to copy the characteristics of stick welding. NR211 is like 6011 but in a wire form. The flux is on the inside rather then on the outside like a stick electrode. Innershield is good for burning through mill scale and to some extent rust. It is good welding practice to grind your metal clean before welding.

Thanks!

How does that type of machine handle welding in the wind/breeze? Could I drag it outside on the apron and weld shovels on a toolbar?
Old 02-23-2008, 06:15 AM   #430
gsuser
Amateur Explorer

Oddometer: 298
Question High frequency problem

I have a older Airco 300 amp machine I picked up and I have a problem with the high frequency. Everything works on the machine and it welds fine but there is no high freq at the torch. I have adjusted the spark gap, it was fine, and there is plenty of activity at the gap when you go to weld. The machine has a new torch and I talked to my local shop that does repairs and the only thing that they came up with was the the high freq was leaking off some where inside the machine, I have opend up the machine checked all the connections and I can't find any high frequency arc on the inside when the macine is runing.
If anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:47 AM   #431
rpeterk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Quote:

what'd you do copy your sales pamphlets? i do have to say my dad payed for me to go to Lincoln's welding school back in 1973 for $300 i recieved a 10-week course that taught how to weld 5p rod through the low-hy rod and two weeks on all position pipe and 2 weeks with tig on pipe also. man i thought i was tuff shit coming out of that school with 3 welding codes under my belt...........then i got a job at the old american shipbuilding yard in lorain ohio. HA! i didnt know how to weld like i thought. those ol' boys who could weld on their heads and blind at the same time.......ha ha ha it took me a while but i'm proud to say if you want to know what a weld is supposed to look like look at mine. yep 35 yrs later ha ha ha.
anyway lincoln doesnt make the best welding equipment on this planet, maybe the most expensive but not the best. they just make more of them too. personally i shine over to miller equipment and i'm talkin about their whole line. their 110v mig machines are junk but i will say the ones you buy from welding supply houses are better than the ones they cram into the home depots and lowe's.
oh yeah, nr-211 will not weld through heavy scale or years of paint, niether will solid wire.

4. be comfortable
10. learn how to weld so well that when you have to lay on your back in a spot where only you can get to holding the lense in your left hand and reaching around with your right hand to put in 3 passes with 7018 the welding inspector believes you when you say it looks good. (real story-perry nuclear power plant 1983)
11. make up your own mind if you want to believe that some old fart can teach you some tricks.

ahhhhh i feel better now

dave

I have for 30+ years felt that lincoln had a better mig product then miller but I have also felt that miller had the tig market. I have recently bought ( very good deal and bought to resell) a squarewave200 and found it to be a really nice machine. I actually like it better for thin aluminum then my lincoln squarewave275. All machines have a feature here and there that make them a bit better or worse. I really like the "4 step" on the lincoln for tig welding inside a car. I have a miller Aerowave had a syncrowave300 a dialarc hf-p and a 300abp so I am not biased. My mig machine that I ahve had for over 20years now and has been flawless is a Lincoln DC-250 that will do CC and CV Stick mig and ( scratch start tig on steel) It has 2 sets of lugs. It is a power source with a LN-7 feeder and both have been 100% trouble free. I hope this doesn't ____ me!

For your do it all purpose I would maybe look into a LN-25 feeder http://www.lincolnelectric.com/L/DF2...F28E/110259/T/ which you can run off of a stick or tig machine. This feeder will work on both a VV or CV machine. there is one on ebay now
http://www.occr.net/
rpeterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #432
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Quote:

4. be comfortable

ahhhhh i feel better now

dave
You busted me Dave. I went through the Lincoln Welding School too. I also went to Ohio State for a BS in Welding Engineering. However, experience will teach you more than any school. I am always learning from more experienced welders and engineers regardless of anyones education the sharing of knowledge is the greatest gift you can give anyone.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:53 AM   #433
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977
High school weld shop we built everthing, trailers for our bikes and ATV's running bourds for our trucks and things progressed from there . So get out there and Learn to Burn......
Yellow Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #434
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW
Do I need to back-gas a seam in Cor-ten if I'm just fusion-welding?
What about with filler?

How crucial is it to back-gas a seam in Stainless for fusion-welding?
and with filler? What about a trailing shield?

Cor-Ten is a weathering steel. You can use an ER80S-D2 welding wire like LA-90 or E8018-b2 stick electrode to weld it. You are always better off using a backing gas if it is possible but most people do not. Stainless vessels and pressure vessels in general require good procedures and using a backing gas or trailing gas setup is also benificial.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #435
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2007
Am making an aluminum box to be welded at a weld shop. Is there an issue with welding 6063-T5 with 6061-T6. Halfway through fabbing when I realized it. Thanks
Use 4043 or 5356 filler rods to weld 6160 alloys or any 6000 series aluminum together. Do not worry.