ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #796
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: The Paris of Appalachia
Oddometer: 11,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty
304 will stay prefectly rust free as long as it's clean. It's very easy for any SS to get contaminated from simply comming in contact with cs, abrassives used on cs, dust etc.

Glass bead or sand/polish with new abrasives for best results.


edit: ok maybe that's waht you were getting at. ;p


Really wasn't looking for clean, just showing incompatability of a mild steel welding electrode on SS


Stock was blasted with steel shot, Its the residue dust oxidizing, after sitting in a damp bucket over three days
__________________
"The Holy Spirit does not want you to be afraid of people, but to be wise and strong, and to love them and enjoy being with them" 2 Timothy 1:7

gsweave screwed with this post 02-09-2009 at 11:00 AM
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #797
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick
 
KTM640Dakar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Oxbow Lake
Oddometer: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWayne
I think you misunderstood my question. I was asking about converting a TIG/stick welder (Thermal Arc 185 TSW) to a plasma cutter.
Well I quess you could try. But it probably wouldn't work. You would be better off buying an air carbon arc set. It is the only way you could cut metal with it without trying to reengineer it into a plasma cutter.
__________________
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #798
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.
 
Skippii's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 6,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave
Skippi,

Did a test burn for ya.

304 base, 7014 rod.

The weld cracked from cooling stress before I chipped the slag off.

just so you know


http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...e/welds002.jpg
here's the 2100


http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...e/welds004.jpg



7014 on carbon

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...e/welds006.jpg

Thanks, I really appreciate that. Very good to know.
__________________
"Umm be careful what you say, this is Skippii....
You may get it delivered in the form of a shake or some interperative dance routine that involves nakedness, pizza and a stuffed raccoon..." -DCrider
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #799
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 3,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar
Alright let's clear some things up.


Welding aluminum with a gas torch is brazing. Brazing aluminum requires a special brazing rod for aluminum. If you are really cheap go buy a little propane torch like a soldering torch plumbers use. You can then braze aluminum if you have the right aluminum filler metal.
By definition BRAZING is the process of joining two similar metals with a third where the base material is not melted and incorporated into the joint.

When the base material is melted and becomes part of the weld it is a welded joint not a brazed joint.

The process I've witnessed on race car bodies with a gas torch did melt the base metal and so it should be called welding.

I have no doubt that there is a aluminum brazing rod available and that aluminum is brazed but it is also gas welded!
__________________
"I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it."
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:29 AM   #800
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.
 
Skippii's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 6,490
Okay, looks like I'll have to get hold of some 308-AC rod.
And I'll have to practice.

I was thinking about where I'd find SS on which to practice.
Then I remembered the hardware store where I buy rods is next to a thrift shop.
They sell lots of silverware dirt cheap there.
Any reason I shouldn't practice by welding knives and forks together?
__________________
"Umm be careful what you say, this is Skippii....
You may get it delivered in the form of a shake or some interperative dance routine that involves nakedness, pizza and a stuffed raccoon..." -DCrider
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #801
Poolside
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii
I was thinking about where I'd find SS on which to practice.
Then I remembered the hardware store where I buy rods is next to a thrift shop.
They sell lots of silverware dirt cheap there.
Any reason I shouldn't practice by welding knives and forks together?
Not a bad idea. I am not sure, but I think flatware is usually type 318 stainless.


__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #802
klrbaer
Tim
 
klrbaer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Eureka, Illinois
Oddometer: 280
welding again

OK here are some more ?’s.
1. What is the best mig for under $ 400.00?
2. I have a Miller Thunderbolt 225 stick welder and I am wanting to know the best rod for welding up to 1/8 inch thick mild steel? I weld stock that is .060, .090, and .125.
3. Is there a rod for welding Aluminum?
4. What is the best way to store welding rods?
5. Do the rods go bad?
6. How long can I keep the rods?
7. Can I add a spool gun to my stick welder?
These are all the questions I have right now. T
Thank you all so much for the help and information.


__________________
Tim
Firefighter/EMT
If you can read this, thank a TEACHER. If you're reading this in ENGLISH, thank a SOLDIER.
God Bless us all.
88 NX 125, 99 Valkyrie, 02 KLR
Pulling my homebuilt monowheel
klrbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #803
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version
 
grizzzly's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: socorro NM 505-five five zero-2583
Oddometer: 3,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
The process I've witnessed on race car bodies with a gas torch did melt the base metal and so it should be called welding.

I have no doubt that there is a aluminum brazing rod available and that aluminum is brazed but it is also gas welded!

Try this link
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks7/airweld/index.html
I have seen it done but never tried it (I bought the book and supplies/torch and as soon as I get time I will try it). After watching it being done I believe that it is a skill that would take time to develop if you are not already an exultant TIG welder I think it would be very difficult learn. I would recommend just buy the TIG or MIG
__________________
you actually expect people to take responsibility for their actions in today's society?!

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:35 AM   #804
josjor
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The largest geological formation in the U.S.A.
Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
By definition BRAZING is the process of joining two similar metals with a third where the base material is not melted and incorporated into the joint.

When the base material is melted and becomes part of the weld it is a welded joint not a brazed joint.

The process I've witnessed on race car bodies with a gas torch did melt the base metal and so it should be called welding.

I have no doubt that there is a aluminum brazing rod available and that aluminum is brazed but it is also gas welded!
It is possible to weld aluminum with a torch. This is NOT brazing. Here's a link: http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/info_...g_aluminum.htm

I own this torch set and it is very versatile. I have used it on aluminum, but primarily use it on steel. With practice it does cut just like the video shows. When using it like a traditional oxy/ac rig it is a lot more comfy and controllable due to the design of the torch.

Pricey? Yep. Worth it? That's up to you. I have a MIG welder and use it for most of my actual welding, but I also do some copper and steel sculpting and the heat control of the Henrob is better than any Victor (or similar) I've ever used.
__________________
Neutiquam erro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #805
rolandska
Around Town
 
rolandska's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Oddometer: 554
well

What do I have to be careful about other than cleanliness, when I weld on Monel?

Henry
rolandska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #806
Davis53
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Oddometer: 541
Lincoln Mig question

I have a Lincoln Idealarc SP-100. I bought this rig new in 1988. It has about two spools of wire run through it. It is in new condition. I need new tips for the gun and the local dealer says they are no longer available. I need contact tips number S18704-1 .025, S18704-2 .030, S18704-3 .035.

I bought this Lincoln because I thought parts will be available for it in the future. But instead it seems like a throwaway. Where can I buy some tips for this welder?
__________________
Northern California
R1200GSA
DR650
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200
Davis53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #807
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better
 
mark1305's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Oddometer: 5,933
Check some other dealers. I hate to say it, but there are some real idiots in the business. Odds are the gun is made by Tregaskis or less likely OXO and there should be tips a plenty out there. Even Forney welding supplies at the local Ace Hardware may have the right kind of tips for you.
__________________
Mark J
Merritt Island, FL

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #808
Davis53
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
Check some other dealers. I hate to say it, but there are some real idiots in the business. Odds are the gun is made by Tregaskis or less likely OXO and there should be tips a plenty out there. Even Forney welding supplies at the local Ace Hardware may have the right kind of tips for you.
I have been to several welding supply dealers with no luck. The gun is a Bernard E-Z Feed 160. It is what came with the welder and I have the paper work for the gun.
__________________
Northern California
R1200GSA
DR650
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200
Davis53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #809
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version
 
grizzzly's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: socorro NM 505-five five zero-2583
Oddometer: 3,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis53
I have a Lincoln Idealarc SP-100. I bought this rig new in 1988. It has about two spools of wire run through it. It is in new condition. I need new tips for the gun and the local dealer says they are no longer available. I need contact tips number S18704-1 .025, S18704-2 .030, S18704-3 .035.

I bought this Lincoln because I thought parts will be available for it in the future. But instead it seems like a throwaway. Where can I buy some tips for this welder?
Contact tips are a common item, just take one in with you, and say “I need a few of these”
__________________
you actually expect people to take responsibility for their actions in today's society?!

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #810
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version
 
grizzzly's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: socorro NM 505-five five zero-2583
Oddometer: 3,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis53
I have been to several welding supply dealers with no luck. The gun is a Bernard E-Z Feed 160. It is what came with the welder and I have the paper work for the gun.
http://www.bernardwelds.com/products...ion_chart.html
__________________
you actually expect people to take responsibility for their actions in today's society?!

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014