Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #946
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
Oh yeah clean, clean, clean. Use only one stainless brush on your aluminum and don't use it on anything else. Be careful about using abrasives to clean as they leave a residue that will contaminate the weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty
ayup.
For cleaning I've used light abrasives such as flappers/scotchbrights etc then clean with laquer thinner/degreaser. Next time I'll try just a ss brush.
Hey Guys, Thanks for the comments. I'm familiar with cleanliness being up there in priorities. Good to know it's the same with aluminum. AFAIK, aluminum oxidizes within minutes of being cleaned. Probably a good idea to brush ahead of yourself as you go along then?

Lojack
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #947
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack
Hey Guys, Thanks for the comments. I'm familiar with cleanliness being up there in priorities. Good to know it's the same with aluminum. AFAIK, aluminum oxidizes within minutes of being cleaned. Probably a good idea to brush ahead of yourself as you go along then?

Lojack
Yeah always, cleanliness is more important with aluminum than with any other metal. I wipe the rod off before using too. I know a guy who has specific cups he only uses on aluminum, he claims a dirty cup can contaminate the weld.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #948
tundrawolf
Desert Rat V Star

Oddometer: 313
Guys,

I have a Lincoln 110v wirefeeder that I have had for a while that I may give to my friend in exchange for his VW beetle upper and pan.

That would leave me without a welder, so I would need to get another one cheaply.

I flat out refuse to buy anything but a constant voltage unit, so..

What do you guys think of this welder:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91110

(waiting until it goes on sale)

Powering this unit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94056

If I wait for a sale I can get both for $200.

Plus the inverter welder is designed for a 1/16" rod which is roughly twice the diameter of .034" fluxcore, so wouldn't that also increase the duty cycle of the machine as well?

Wiring it all up is no problem for me, and I'd have a CV inverter powered wirefeeder.

What do you think?
tundrawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #949
CR_TurboGuy
Iowhat?

Oddometer: 478
I have a Lincoln SP175 that's a couple years old. Is there a spool gun available for it to weld aluminum with?

--JOsh
Old 05-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #950
The Dude Himself
Hooked on Dirt!!

Oddometer: 1,719
I have a brazing question: is there a cheap rig for brazing HVAC refrigerant lines? I need to repair my unit this summer and figure I could start practicing brazing now and be half decent by the time it's hot out. I've heard mixed reviews of OxyMapp rigs, and I'm not sure I'm ready for an OxyAcetelyne rig in my condo's attached garage. Mig is one thing - when I release the trigger the neighbors TV turns back on. I think a 6-10" reduced flame would freak them out.
The Dude Himself is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #951
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
Yeah always, cleanliness is more important with aluminum than with any other metal. I wipe the rod off before using too. I know a guy who has specific cups he only uses on aluminum, he claims a dirty cup can contaminate the weld.
That makes sense. I found it's more noticeable with titanium over steel. When there is slag* fused to the lens I get weird gas coverage and thus colorful welds, which is not what you want with ti. I know it's time to swap my gear.

*I never went to school for this stuff, just learned through work, so some of my teminology may be way off, which probably makes me sound like an idiot from time to time.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #952
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Himself
I have a brazing question: is there a cheap rig for brazing HVAC refrigerant lines? I need to repair my unit this summer and figure I could start practicing brazing now and be half decent by the time it's hot out. I've heard mixed reviews of OxyMapp rigs, and I'm not sure I'm ready for an OxyAcetelyne rig in my condo's attached garage. Mig is one thing - when I release the trigger the neighbors TV turns back on. I think a 6-10" reduced flame would freak them out.
Just for fun I googled solder refrigerant lines. What do ya know, the braze vs solder argument rages on like a which oil filter or tire thread, heh heh. Mechanically, both are more than capable. A basic MAPP torch will do the job with silver solder. All kinds of arguments on both sides though. Chemical contamination this, nitrogen bleed that. Usually an indication that either works.

Soft Soldering Refrigerant Lines
http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=133110

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #953
tundrawolf
Desert Rat V Star

Quote:
What makes you say that? OAC rigs run in *all* sizes from backpack to massive industrial tanks. Learn how to safely turn it on and off and you should be fine.

Also, if your MIG setup causes that much of a voltage drop I wonder how hot the wires are getting inside the wall. Just a thought.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #954
The Dude Himself
Hooked on Dirt!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrawolf
What makes you say that? OAC rigs run in *all* sizes from backpack to massive industrial tanks. Learn how to safely turn it on and off and you should be fine.

Also, if your MIG setup causes that much of a voltage drop I wonder how hot the wires are getting inside the wall. Just a thought.
The TV thing was a joke, it's a fairly new building with good wiring. There is this crazy lady that lives across the alley from the garages though, and she had a hissy fit when I BBQ'd with a Propane grill 35' from the garage. BTW - fire code is 20'.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #955
The Dude Himself
Hooked on Dirt!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

Just for fun I googled solder refrigerant lines. What do ya know, the braze vs solder argument rages on like a which oil filter or tire thread, heh heh. Mechanically, both are more than capable. A basic MAPP torch will do the job with silver solder. All kinds of arguments on both sides though. Chemical contamination this, nitrogen bleed that. Usually an indication that either works.

Soft Soldering Refrigerant Lines
http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=133110

Thanks Poolside! I found the same stuff, I was hoping for some real world experience but I'm starting to think it doesn't really matter. My bigger concern is teaching myself HVAC from the internet enough to pump the unit down, install a filter/bubble sight/TEV/and possibly new coil, vacuum it out, and test it.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #956
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,702
Quote:
Thanks Poolside! I found the same stuff, I was hoping for some real world experience but I'm starting to think it doesn't really matter. My bigger concern is teaching myself HVAC from the internet enough to pump the unit down, install a filter/bubble sight/TEV/and possibly new coil, vacuum it out, and test it.
{hijack}
And of course, no DIY project would be complete without a trip to Harbor Freight.

Air Vacuum Pump with R134a Connector
ITEM 92475-0VGA $16.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92475

Air Vacuum Pump with R134A and R12 Connectors
ITEM 96677-7VGA $14.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96677

{/hijack}

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #957
studley
Lord and Master

Oddometer: 677
Ok so I guess this is a welder question.

Why, when I start an arc with the Miller 200syncro. does my radio shut off. Not only does it shut off it also loses all the presets and the time resets itself.

The welder is grounded to the work, it happens anywhere in the shop and only the tig not the mig.

Any ideas???
Old 05-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #958
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by studley

Why, when I start an arc with the Miller 200syncro. does my radio shut off. Not only does it shut off it also loses all the presets and the time resets itself.

The welder is grounded to the work, it happens anywhere in the shop and only the tig not the mig.

Any ideas???
Prolly electromagnetic voodoo from the soft start aka high frequency start.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #959
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,993
Can your radio take a few batteries in it?

That of course could hold your presets.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #960
tundrawolf
Desert Rat V Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by studley

Any ideas???
Let me ask you something... Does this same thing happen when you unplug the radio? If so, do us a favor and bring an extension cord plugged into the other outlet over to your work. Plug a voltmeter into the extension cord and note the voltage drop (You may have to put a bright light over the voltmeter so you can see the reading, or have a friend tell you what it says) with the MIG Vs. TIG.

If the voltage drop is more than 20+- volts, (I'm just throwing out a number, someone with more experience can tell you what an unhealthy drop should be) I'd imagine your welder is simply pulling more juice in TIG mode, and thusly dropping the voltage down below the minimum memory retention voltage. You may want to invest in having your wiring to your welder upgraded so the drop is not so much.

Edit: P B G has a great suggestion. Also, if you know someone who has a VARIAC transformer you could see at the *exact* point when your radio loses it's stations, and check your voltmeter against that reading.