Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #1081
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot
Our local shops are stocking what is billed as "TIG Compatible" welders at relatively affordable prices. I had a look and the box only contains the normal arc welding cables, one shop also stocks a TIG kit consisting of cables, gas pipe and the TIG holder/head. The ratings are 160 amp or another at 200amp.
Questions:
  • I'm worried that running costs for Argon may be a deal breaker for a hobbyist like myself. How long does a bottle of Argon last for occasional home use.? i want to use it for bike frames and building my own exhaust systems etc.
  • For which model should I go and what thicknesses can one weld with the amperages mentined.?
  • What impact should the Tungsten tips have on costs and how long do they last.?
If you use a flow rate of 30 CFH (cubic feet per hour) then you can calculate how many arc hours you can get out of a bottle of gas. A good gas distributor will probably charge you $150 for a four foot tall bottle of argon. They will lease it to you or you can buy the bottle outright. Then it will cost about $25 to refill it.

A Tungsten will last a long time if you don't dip it in the weld puddle.

You get what you pay for with welding equipment, especially a TIG welder. If you can't afford a good one then you will struggle and waste your money. Harbor Freight is no where to buy a welder.

Check out a Lincoln Precision TIG 225.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #1082
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucu
My bike has an oil leak coming from inside the steering head (see picture).

So i think it must have the frame cracked inside the steering head where it connects to the frame where the oil is contained.

How would you guys go about to fix this ? Can you physically weld inside the steering head, i mean can you work on such a narrow space ?
How should i clean the area of all the oil leaked ?
Can a drop of weld applied over the crack seal it ?
Should i just disassemble all the front and use JBWeld (or something similar) to seal it ?
On some bikes they route the gas overflow into the steering neck. Are you sure it isn't that?

Old 08-05-2009, 03:28 AM   #1083
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,461

Ok, so I'm building my welding table. (48"x32"x 34" high; 3/16 plate top) will post more pics later. And I was thinking that since it's on casters and since I don't have my bottle yet; and since my garage gets pretty full I'd make it a combination table/welding cart.

Will there be any problems with having the welder sit on the bottom shelf of my table while I'm working on material on the upper surface? I don't want to run a risk of frying my welder because it's sitting on a charged surface.

Do I have a reason to worry? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #1084
lucu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar
On some bikes they route the gas overflow into the steering neck. Are you sure it isn't that?
Doesn't smell like gas. And it's sticky and yellow, pretty sure it's oil.
When i have time i'm going to either disassemble it and look for the leak or i'll have to find a shop that does welding.

Either that or part it and cut my losses.
lucu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #1085
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY

Ok, so I'm building my welding table. (48"x32"x 34" high; 3/16 plate top) will post more pics later. And I was thinking that since it's on casters and since I don't have my bottle yet; and since my garage gets pretty full I'd make it a combination table/welding cart.

Will there be any problems with having the welder sit on the bottom shelf of my table while I'm working on material on the upper surface? I don't want to run a risk of frying my welder because it's sitting on a charged surface.

Not that I know of.

You might not want plastic/soft wheels on that table, it will "take a set" and just be hard to roll. Steel wheels would be much much better.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #1086
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
Not that I know of.

You might not want plastic/soft wheels on that table, it will "take a set" and just be hard to roll. Steel wheels would be much much better.
Casters are 'spensive. I had those laying around, five little tacks/stitches each so they can be swapped out when needed. I didn't have any good plates to bolt them to, and I did all that from about 6pm to 3am last night.

Thanks; FWIW I'm pretty impressed with myself over this one. It's my first and I haven't done much welding ever.

Just bought my Hobart 140 about 2 weeks ago. The table has just under a full 1lb of wire in it.

I think Im coming right along?

They seem to be holding.

Remember Kiddies; measure twice, weld once. This is what happens when you measure from the top of one tube and the bottom of the other side.
oh, well more practice.

Thoughts?

I'm intending to stitch weld my top plate to the center of the round tube (1-1/4" Sched 40) so I don't have a rough edge to catch my elbows and belly on when I'm working on this table. I have a piece of 2x2- 3/16 angle that will run under the worksurface to keep it rigid when I'm hammering on it. As it sits, I can sit my 225lb ass right in the center and it doesn't budge.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #1087
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
If you have not read this you ought to

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488740
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:02 AM   #1088
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucu
My bike has an oil leak coming from inside the steering head (see picture).

So i think it must have the frame cracked inside the steering head where it connects to the frame where the oil is contained.

How would you guys go about to fix this ? Can you physically weld inside the steering head, i mean can you work on such a narrow space ?
How should i clean the area of all the oil leaked ?
Can a drop of weld applied over the crack seal it ?
Should i just disassemble all the front and use JBWeld (or something similar) to seal it ?
What model bike? Are you sure the oil is up there on the frame? That image looks like dozens of bikes I've seen over the years where the grease in the head bearings separates into oil and solids, the oil oozing out the bottom dust seal.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #1089
cafebmw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Can I use a 20# Steel CO2 tank for MIG Gas

I need a tank for a new welder and have an extra CO2 tank. Can my gas supplier change the head on it and fill it with MIG gas?
cafebmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #1090
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafebmw
I need a tank for a new welder and have an extra CO2 tank. Can my gas supplier change the head on it and fill it with MIG gas?
You can use CO2 for mig.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #1091
cafebmw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Thanks...but the regulator won't fit the existing head. I realize I could change the stem on the regulator, but wondered if the gas store can change the head? Will the tank hold mig gas?
cafebmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #1092
Strong Bad
n00balicious

You keep saying mig gas. There are lots of different gas combination that can be used with mig. I suppose you mean 75-25 CO2-Argon? Sure it will hold it, but will your local supplier fill it is another matter. Won't they just swap it out for you? Are you talking about CO2 tanks for like soda machines or something?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #1093
lucu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours
What model bike? Are you sure the oil is up there on the frame? That image looks like dozens of bikes I've seen over the years where the grease in the head bearings separates into oil and solids, the oil oozing out the bottom dust seal.
It's fixed now (hope i don't jinx it).

Looks like some moron (probably the previous owner) tried to force the bearings or the race out of the headstock without adequate tools and managed to crack the frame.

I took it to an independent shop as my honda shop did nothing to help me, they replaced the bearings when i brought it there to do an after buy service and completely ignored the leak despite me telling them beforehand to check what was wrong. F"#$ them I'll spend my money elsewhere. At least i think i found an honest shop with a professional.

Here's a pic of last weekend 100 mile test ride.

lucu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #1094
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 8,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafebmw
I wish I could bring in my empty 20# cylider of propane in and have it filled with stargon...
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #1095
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY

No worries just make sure you wire your welder correctly which includes a case ground. So if it is a single phase machine you should have three wires. Two hots and one ground. Usually the case ground is literally connected to the inside frame of the machine. If your welder had a lead and plug already hooked to it from the factory then it is already done for you.

Nice table by the way, it looks like a good setup.