Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #1111
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,043
Nothing will knock your dick in the dirt like a plasma cutter!

I'm about to buy the new inverter based Thermal Dynamics, but I'm sure you can't go wrong with the Miller or the Lincoln. I personally would stay away form the cheepos. Buy one good one and you'll have it forever.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #1112
icebox
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
Plasma

The trigger in a plasma torch does at least two things, starts the arc, and starts the gas flow, usually with a gas solenoid valve. On the better units the gas stays on for ten seconds or so to cool the torch and the consumables. Have two of the things,1250 Esab, and a 1650 Hypertherm.
Very trouble free when you buy good quality consumables. Use a good ground and they run like a champ. CLEAN, DRY, air is a must.
icebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #1113
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox
The trigger in a plasma torch does at least two things, starts the arc, and starts the gas flow, usually with a gas solenoid valve.
Sure, thanks for clearing that up. For a plasma cutter the two events must be switched on simultaneously. For a mig welder, weld power to the wire never needs to be switched off.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 09-16-2009 at 07:06 PM
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #1114
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

Sure, thanks for clearing that up. For a plasma cutter the two events must be switched on simultaneously. For a mig welder, weld power to the wire never needs to be switched off.

Although it doesn't "need" to be switched off, most of the Mig machines I've ever used are "switched off" when the trigger isn't pulled.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:11 AM   #1115
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
Although it doesn't "need" to be switched off, most of the Mig machines I've ever used are "switched off" when the trigger isn't pulled.
That's the additional $300 feature that grizzzly was thinking to opt out of.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 09-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #1116
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Never welded on a gas tank before. Plan on brazing a second tap onto the right saddle of my BMW tank this winter. Plenty of anecdotal advice on the web. This is one thing you don't want to "hope for the best" on.

What is the safest method? I'd like to braze a tapped brass mount onto the bottom.
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #1117
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

That's the additional $300 feature that grizzzly was thinking to opt out of.

I was wondering if the cheaper units are the same thing as the big name, but with out the brand name, or if there is a difference

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #1118
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat
Never welded on a gas tank before. Plan on brazing a second tap onto the right saddle of my BMW tank this winter. Plenty of anecdotal advice on the web. This is one thing you don't want to "hope for the best" on.

What is the safest method? I'd like to braze a tapped brass mount onto the bottom.
I flush the tank with IPA (alcohol) let that dry than fill the tank with argon (inert gas) if you want to braze it I am guessing that you might not have a tig setup so you might want to try to get the tank as full of water as possible than braze it (While it is full of water)

Old 09-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #1119
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
I think the mig welder he had was a harbor freight, and it was live all the time (that is why I am asking about the plasma machine)

Old 09-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #1120
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzzly
I was wondering if the cheaper units are the same thing as the big name, but with out the brand name, or if there is a difference
I don't see any significant difference. The work clamp might be like that for a cheap jumper cable, and the plastic of the torch handle might be a lighter build. Just get a brand that uses Miller consumables, you know, like your posting color.

Unless... you're an industry shill, in which case you will report having bought one and the thing couldn't cut, shocked you a few times, then fell apart, before catching your garage on fire.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #1121
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzzly
I think the mig welder he had was a harbor freight, and it was live all the time (that is why I am asking about the plasma machine)

I can't imagine how a plasma cutter could continuously power the torch, while still being able to shut down the arc after cutting. How do guys get shocked so often anyway?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #1122
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

[quote=Poolside]

How do guys get shocked so often anyway?

I like to play with stuff!

And about getting hit with the plasma cutter I don’t know what happened. After me and Naren (the other guy) were hit they shut down that shop for a month to replace all the electrical wiring and hauled that machine off. Every time I asked what happened I was referred to the schools lawyer I never did get a good answer as to what happened. Just something about someone welding holes into the main power conduit for the building and the plasma machine being screwed up.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #1123
mysterio
Eventually an Adventurer.

Oddometer: 985
1phase V 3 phase?

I just ordered a new single phase AC/DC tig machine as I don't have 3 phase power, but I'm now having second thoughts. The 3phase version is slightly less $$, a few hundred, although has more amps, 300A v 230A. BUT, the 3 phase power connection to my home is around $3000. Will 3 phase be so important if it's essentially only for the welder?
mysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #1124
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterio
I just ordered a new single phase AC/DC tig machine as I don't have 3 phase power, but I'm now having second thoughts. The 3phase version is slightly less $$, a few hundred, although has more amps, 300A v 230A. BUT, the 3 phase power connection to my home is around $3000. Will 3 phase be so important if it's essentially only for the welder?
.......... No you don't need 3 phase for a welding machine, the single phase machine you bought will do anything you need, assuming that it has an adjustable amperage control, not just 50/70 amps 70/100 amps, ect. with a T. I. G. you need an adjustable amperage control that is adj. in 2 to 5 amp incriments. Depending on what you intend to weld. for fill wire for mild steel you will need E-70-S2 . For stick rod I would suggest E-6010 (5-p+) in 3/32"
fxstbiluigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #1125
mysterio
Eventually an Adventurer.

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by road ranger
.......... No you don't need 3 phase for a welding machine, the single phase machine you bought will do anything you need, assuming that it has an adjustable amperage control, not just 50/70 amps 70/100 amps, ect. with a T. I. G. you need an adjustable amperage control that is adj. in 2 to 5 amp incriments. Depending on what you intend to weld. for fill wire for mild steel you will need E-70-S2 . For stick rod I would suggest E-6010 (5-p+) in 3/32"
Thanks for that. The single phase machine has a 16A fuse and the power board in my workshop has 16A trip-switches, so I'm hoping the only other thing I'd need to do is install 16A powerpoints?
mysterio is offline   Reply With Quote