ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 12:56 PM   #106
CR_TurboGuy
Iowhat?
 
CR_TurboGuy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Oddometer: 478
Welding 16ga mild steel to steel trailer frame, probably 2-3x thicker. Does the welder get set for the thicker steel or the thinner? If the thicker, how do you keep from burning through the thinner piece?

--JOsh
CR_TurboGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:38 AM   #107
bmwblake
upside down parker
 
bmwblake's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: nashville, tn
Oddometer: 3,274
i asked in an earlier post about what you would recommend for a 110 equipped shop welder. you pointed me to the power mig 140.
can you tell me what the difference is between the 140 and the weld-pak 3200hd setup? i ask b/c a local place that i have some gift cards from has the 3200 but not the power mig.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #108
TymeRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TymeRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Oddometer: 372
What Kind of Steel Material to Use for Adding Bracing to Jesse Bag Mounts

I want to beef up my Jesse bag mounts a bit by adding some bracing and triangulation at a couple places. There's a local steel yard where I can get the raw material. What type of steel should I be using?

Thanks in advance.
__________________
2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2005 KTM 950S Adventure
2002 BMW R1150GS Adventure
TymeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #109
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: west of road america
Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhold
Here's a real basic question from someone who would like to pick up a welder for shop use but has no experience. Would use it for welding aluminium skid plates, brackets etc and also for some steel. Tig or mig...whats the difference? What model of Lincoln would you recommend? Thanks for the thread!
In general:

MIG is easier to learn for steels. Welding AL can be a bit tricky but once setup it's OK for general stuff.

TIG takes a bit more practice but can do it all.

I use the blue ones.
__________________
sideways and smiling
WIsixfitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #110
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: west of road america
Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_TurboGuy
Welding 16ga mild steel to steel trailer frame, probably 2-3x thicker. Does the welder get set for the thicker steel or the thinner? If the thicker, how do you keep from burning through the thinner piece?

--JOsh
I will assume MIG proccess.

You would set it to a slightly higher amperage for thicker steel and with a little practice be able to weld w/o burning through the thin stuff. Point or direct the wire/contact to the thicker side allowing the puddle to flow onto the thinner material.
__________________
sideways and smiling
WIsixfitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #111
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: west of road america
Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TymeRider
I want to beef up my Jesse bag mounts a bit by adding some bracing and triangulation at a couple places. There's a local steel yard where I can get the raw material. What type of steel should I be using?

Thanks in advance.
Any mild steel tubing (square or round) is fine. The challenge will be finding it in a small enough diameter along with a thinner wall.

Look for .50" to .75" outside diameter with a 16 gage (.065) to 14 gage (.074") wall. You can go a bit bigger in OD and wall, it'll just be a tick heavier.

hth
__________________
sideways and smiling
WIsixfitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #112
Poolside
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by TymeRider
I want to beef up my Jesse bag mounts a bit by adding some bracing and triangulation at a couple places. There's a local steel yard where I can get the raw material. What type of steel should I be using?
If you are thinking about bar stock similar to the Jesse mounts, and also maybe smaller size, check out Home Depot and Lowes. They have 'low carbon' steel bar stock in sizes from 1/2"x1/16" up to 2"x1/4".

You may not even want to weld the triangulating struts and ties. Just bend the material and drill mounting holes, and use threaded fasteners.

The Jesse mounts are 'low carbon' steel. So are the 1100/1150/1200 subframes. So are most every tubular motorcycle frame you can name.

- Jim

__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #113
TymeRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TymeRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty
Any mild steel tubing (square or round) is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
If you are thinking about bar stock similar to the Jesse mounts, and also maybe smaller size, check out Home Depot and Lowes. They have 'low carbon' steel bar stock in sizes from 1/2"x1/16" up to 2"x1/4".
...

The Jesse mounts are 'low carbon' steel. So are the 1100/1150/1200 subframes. So are most every tubular motorcycle frame you can name.
I plan to use a combination of bar stock and tubing.

Question: Is there an issue with welding CrMo alloy (like 4130 available at Aircraft Spruce & Specialty) to 'low carbon' steel?

Disadvantages such as: cost? weld integrity? more difficult to weld dissimilar alloys?

Advantages?
__________________
2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2005 KTM 950S Adventure
2002 BMW R1150GS Adventure
TymeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #114
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick
 
KTM640Dakar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Oxbow Lake
Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhold
Here's a real basic question from someone who would like to pick up a welder for shop use but has no experience. Would use it for welding aluminium skid plates, brackets etc and also for some steel. Tig or mig...whats the difference? What model of Lincoln would you recommend? Thanks for the thread!
http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...et.asp?p=42749

Here is the least expensive aluminum Spool gun that there is. You would need a Power MIG 140 or 180 to use it on.

Aluminum requires special wire feeding systems to help feed it out of the gun to keep a steady welding arc. A spool gun works better for aluminum wire because it only has to push the wire a short distance out of the torch tip. Because aluminum wire is soft and has a low strength it buckles when you try to feed it through a long welding gun. So the shorter the distance you have to feed the wire, the better and more stable your MIG welding arc will be.

MIG welding aluminum with the proper MIG welding equipment is easier for a first timer than TIG welding. However with the right amount of practice you can make better aluminum welds when using the TIG process.
__________________
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.

KTM640Dakar screwed with this post 04-04-2007 at 08:35 PM
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:27 PM   #115
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick
 
KTM640Dakar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Oxbow Lake
Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake
i asked in an earlier post about what you would recommend for a 110 equipped shop welder. you pointed me to the power mig 140.
can you tell me what the difference is between the 140 and the weld-pak 3200hd setup? i ask b/c a local place that i have some gift cards from has the 3200 but not the power mig.

The Lincoln Weld-Pak 3200HD is simular to the SP135T which is now discontinued. The Power MIG 140 replaced the SP135T. The Power MIG has an improved wire feed system and is upgradable to use an Aluminum Spool Gun. http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...et.asp?p=42749

The Weld-Pak 3200HD is a good machine too. It will weld steel all day long. If you can get it cheaper or have gift cards then go for it.
__________________
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:38 PM   #116
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick
 
KTM640Dakar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Oxbow Lake
Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty
I will assume MIG proccess.

You would set it to a slightly higher amperage for thicker steel and with a little practice be able to weld w/o burning through the thin stuff. Point or direct the wire/contact to the thicker side allowing the puddle to flow onto the thinner material.

Yes you are right. Focus the arc to favor the thicker section and try setting your welder to a setting in between the two thicknesses if you have trouble with burn through.
__________________
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:44 PM   #117
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick
 
KTM640Dakar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Oxbow Lake
Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by TymeRider
I plan to use a combination of bar stock and tubing.

Question: Is there an issue with welding CrMo alloy (like 4130 available at Aircraft Spruce & Specialty) to 'low carbon' steel?

Disadvantages such as: cost? weld integrity? more difficult to weld dissimilar alloys?

Advantages?
The Chrome Molly alloy will be stronger with a higher tensile strength. The Chrome and molybdenum will add strength to steel.

Mild Steel tensile is roughly 36,000 psi tensile and CrMo steel is 80,000 psi tensile strength. Tensile strength is measured in how many pounds it takes to break a square inch of the material. So 4130 is twice as strong approx.
__________________
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:48 PM   #118
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick
 
KTM640Dakar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Oxbow Lake
Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty
In general:

MIG is easier to learn for steels. Welding AL can be a bit tricky but once setup it's OK for general stuff.

TIG takes a bit more practice but can do it all.

I use the blue ones.
Hi WIsixfitty. Thanks for helping. Sometimes I get kept away from this for a couple of days.

We need to help you with your "blues".
Do you live close to Appleton WI?
__________________
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #119
TymeRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TymeRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar
The Chrome Molly alloy will be stronger with a higher tensile strength. The Chrome and molybdenum will add strength to steel.

Mild Steel tensile is roughly 36,000 psi tensile and CrMo steel is 80,000 psi tensile strength. Tensile strength is measured in how many pounds it takes to break a square inch of the material. So 4130 is twice as strong approx.
Thanks for the information.

I guess what I want confirmation of is that it's ok to weld a Chrome Molly piece to a mild steel piece?
__________________
2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2005 KTM 950S Adventure
2002 BMW R1150GS Adventure
TymeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:53 AM   #120
snadam
yes, I am a n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Phoenixville, PA - USA (NW of Philly)
Oddometer: 31
Will the aluminum spool gun you mentioned a few posts back work with the older SP1xx model MIG's? I have a SP175 and get tired of changeing the liner, tips, etc when I want to switch from steel to aluminum. Am I correct that with a proper spool I could make the change more quickly by simply swapping the existing gun and retaining the steel wire roll?

Adam
snadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014