User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2010, 05:06 AM   #1186
tmgs
...Trailers are for Boats

Oddometer: 968
nice thread

I'm headed out myself o get my 1st tig welder, I have been looking pretty seriously for a good used machine for some time

I think i found one, I had narrowed my searches to the syncrowaves, or dynasty (yea sure they are pricey and out of my range even used) or the Precision TIG 275, tere have only been a couple very old licoln 300's I have seen, but I don't want that old.

found a Syncrowave 351 complete setup to go look at today. hopefully it works out ok!
tmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #1187
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
What do you guys weld on?

I plan to get some heat tiles, but what can I weld on with a torch in the mean time?

I know concrete is a big nono.

Also, for my first big project I plan to make a colapsable welding table.

What kind of steel should I used?

I've got some practice with torch welding, but I don't know anything about steel types or which ones can be welded together and what kind of filler rod to use.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:00 AM   #1188
tmgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
I'm headed out myself o get my 1st tig welder, I have been looking pretty seriously for a good used machine for some time

I think i found one, I had narrowed my searches to the syncrowaves, or dynasty (yea sure they are pricey and out of my range even used) or the Precision TIG 275, tere have only been a couple very old licoln 300's I have seen, but I don't want that old.

found a Syncrowave 351 complete setup to go look at today. hopefully it works out ok!
well, I have it, it's on the trailer still, but it is here. Picked up an Argon tank a couple days ago too. now to get it off the trailer and hooked up and use it, what was cool is, a friend here (Ethan) went along to look the machine over with me and try it out.

Attached Images

Old 01-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #1189
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 943
Nice pickup..you will like the way it welds aluminum.
I have used them all at one time or another. The very best is of course the OLD miller Gold Stars with the selenium rectifiers (yes I still have one )

But I also have a ton of time under the hood with the old Lincoln heliarc welders and like them also.
The great thing about the square wave machines is when welding larger pieces of aluminum. The added DC really make them fast. I just don't like the noise.

Quote:
EvilGenius,
It really depends on how big of a project you are welding on. But you will end up with a steel table once you get more time under the hood.
Gary
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is - the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Winston Churchill
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #1190
tundrawolf
Desert Rat V Star

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Metal, mostly, although some people claim to be able to weld plastic.

I saw, once, maybe on tv- some guy got two pieces of metal to stick together, but he didn't use any glue. Any ideas on how to do this?
tundrawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #1191
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

I mean like what do you sit your metal on when you weld it.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #1192
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrawolf
I saw, once, maybe on tv- some guy got two pieces of metal to stick together, but he didn't use any glue. Any ideas on how to do this?
They're called "Magnets" and they are magic.

You can diffusion bond metals together as well. Good clean surfaces, good pressure holding them together, then add a little heat. Usually happens by mistake to things like brake bleed screws, bushings.

Precision ground surfaces with no oil on them are exceeedingly difficult to separate. Just ask the guy here at work who messed up a set of gage blocks about that.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #1193
tmgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog
Nice pickup..you will like the way it welds aluminum.
I have used them all at one time or another. The very best is of course the OLD miller Gold Stars with the selenium rectifiers (yes I still have one )

But I also have a ton of time under the hood with the old Lincoln heliarc welders and like them also.
The great thing about the square wave machines is when welding larger pieces of aluminum. The added DC really make them fast. I just don't like the noise.

Gary
Thanks, can't wait to hook it up, got busy and have not put in the new box, i looked for a plug so I did not have to hard wire and the only ones I found were about 300 bucks (ouch) so I tried to go with the 100 amp stage [pin, but no one had them in stock in all of Atlanta!

Tom
Old 01-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #1194
changingground
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
First, a piece of 1/4" Hot rolled plate set on top of my wood workbench (or on top of a couple of sawhorses).

Later I built a small table (first real project- 2' x 3'), and then bought one from a guy (4' x 4' and cheaper than the cost of materials).

I may have suggested this earlier, but head over to the hobart welding board. Lots of ideas, and lots of advice over there- http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/
changingground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #1195
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,050
tmgs, I have that exact same welder. Been using it for many many years. A base model 351 with no upgrades. Heavy sucker eh?

No problems at all except it's hesitant at times with hf starts. This trait seems somewhat common on blue machines.

I use a momentary switch on the torch 95% of the time and a pedal when welding alum etc.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #1196
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
I have a full system from HPE Exhaust. It is made from Inconel and or Inox.

How is this stuff welded?
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #1197
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Metal table (you can use wood or concrete but not plastic) or just use a vice. the thicker the top the better, one of mine is 3 x 4 x the other is 1 x 4 x 1

Here is a picture of my dads it is about 4 x 6 x 2

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #1198
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore
I have a full system from HPE Exhaust. It is made from Inconel and or Inox.

How is this stuff welded?
you'll need inconel filler and keep as much O2 away as possible. iirc it welds like Ti which is'nt bad as long....
Old 01-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #1199
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzzly
Metal table (you can use wood or concrete but not plastic) or just use a vice. the thicker the top the better, one of mine is 3 x 4 x the other is 1 x 4 x 1

Here is a picture of my dads it is about 4 x 6 x 2

Awesome.

Where did he get that vice?

Old 01-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #1200
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,570
Storing MIG wire

I finally used up the spool of flux core wire that came with my Hobart 140 so today I bought a tank of C25 and an 11 lb spool of solid wire. I don't know what possessed me to buy that much instead of a 2 lb spool since I just putz around the garage and go months between welding so 11 lbs will last me quite a few years. What's the best way to store the wire to keep it from oxidizing between uses? The guy at the welding supply place suggested hosing it down with something like WD40, but that seems like it'd only contaminate the wire. I'm thinking of removing the spool and sealing it up with a little bag of dessicant using the "Seal a Meal" vacuum bagger my wife has in the kitchen.

EDIT: I just came up from the shop where I laid down my first ever beads using shielding gas. Holy shit! I knew there'd be an improvement over flux core, but DAMN. I'm kicking myself for waiting.

PunkinHead screwed with this post 01-07-2010 at 05:08 PM
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote