Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #1201
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead
The guy at the welding supply place suggested hosing it down with something like WD40, but that seems like it'd only contaminate the wire. .
Hey, its MIG welding, its a friggn' squirt gun, wd-40 won hurt a thing. Now, if you were TIG welding, that would be a completely different matter entirely.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #1202
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore
I have a full system from HPE Exhaust. It is made from Inconel and or Inox.

How is this stuff welded?

We do alot of Inconel

I'll recheck our parameters tonight.

Till then.
http://www.twi.co.uk/content/jk22.html

Old 01-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #1203
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,492
Is someone trying to screw me over when he says that all mods are professionally done?
He never said anything about the exhaust...I thought it was all stock, but it doesn't look like factory weld.

From
Old 01-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #1204
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,200
I don’t think that rubber hose is going to last or those zip ties

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #1205
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Awesome.

Where did he get that vice?
I think someone gave it to him it had a broken handle

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:58 AM   #1206
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
Is someone trying to screw me over when he says that all mods are professionally done?
Wow......now that is nice....
That's the problem with mig welders....just because you can pull the trigger...don't make you a welder
Gary
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is - the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Winston Churchill
Gas Hog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #1207
tmgs
...Trailers are for Boats

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty
tmgs, I have that exact same welder. Been using it for many many years. A base model 351 with no upgrades. Heavy sucker eh?

No problems at all except it's hesitant at times with hf starts. This trait seems somewhat common on blue machines.

I use a momentary switch on the torch 95% of the time and a pedal when welding alum etc.

it came with a finger tip control on the one torch, it also has a spot tech spot torch, I really wanted one with pulse (seeing how I am not a very experienced welder) that is the only thing I can think of I would want on it, I guess maybe a foot pedal may be easier to use and I will keep my eye out for one for it. I do know it laid a nice bead in steel and aluminum when we went and picked it up

I know I won't loose money on it when I can upgrade to a newer machine either.
tmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #1208
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,946
Haha! That looks like a lot of my welds - and I ain't no professional. Of course there are lots of professionals who can design or turn wrenches or whatever else. But they might be lacking in the welding arena. So, professionally doen? Maybe. Top quality? A little lacking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii
He never said anything about the exhaust...I thought it was all stock, but it doesn't look like factory weld.

From

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #1209
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,797

That weld looks like it's following a full-circle rip in the exhaust tube. Here's a guess as to how it was torn. The sticker on the frame, GMD Computrack, is a moto frame straightening service.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #1210
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,946
Good point. That bike may have been pretzeled before.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #1211
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
That weld looks like it's following a full-circle rip in the exhaust tube. Here's a guess as to how it was torn. The sticker on the frame, GMD Computrack, is a moto frame straightening service.

I went to look at the bike in person today. The weld actually doesn't look as bad in person, and doesn't seem to leak. Still not good looking, though.

The exhaust was aparently cracked at the location where the oxygen sensor attaches. Not sure why that happened. I'm guessing that it was related to the previous owner's desicion to attach an incompatible Supertrapp designed for a different bike. There are some interesting mods on this bike.

GMD Computrack installed the Penske shocks and redid the front end. I don't think they did any frame straightening, but I'd wondered that as well. I'll call them and ask if they can look up what they did.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #1212
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,803
Repairing a crack on a used pipe is not easy. The carbon build up on the inside is going to make it very difficult to get a good puddle/bead. Additionally once you get started you may find yourself chasing a crack that grows as you advance.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #1213
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Our local muffler guy builds full exhaust systems. His typical method involves putting a nut into the tube to start welding against, then he breaks the nut free and lets it drop out of the system before installing cats/mufflers.

With that method he does pretty well patching holes/cracks.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #1214
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
If i'm a noob at mig welding (a few tries, seat rails into my car [that i'll have to cut out cause its wrong anyway]) whats a good size/brand to get into?

Lets say i have a shoe string budget, and the best i've got for power supply is standard house mains. How many amps should i be looking for? Brand? Supplier? All that i'm looking to do is little projects, roof rack for the car, body panel repair, maybe at the very heaviest duty a tow hitch into my car etc.

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #1215
mysterio
Eventually an Adventurer.

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G
Our local muffler guy builds full exhaust systems. His typical method involves putting a nut into the tube to start welding against, then he breaks the nut free and lets it drop out of the system before installing cats/mufflers.

With that method he does pretty well patching holes/cracks.
I don't understand how you get the nut out once the joint is finished and if it's new tubing then why not weld at the correct settings. With old tube, then yes.
mysterio is offline   Reply With Quote