User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 06:32 AM   #1216
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
maybe at the very heaviest duty a tow hitch into my car etc.
That's about the very last place you would want to weld when you are learning...especially with an el-cheapo mig.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #1217
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog
That's about the very last place you would want to weld when you are learning...especially with an el-cheapo mig.
Gary
How about *eventually* a tow hitch?

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #1218
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode
If i'm a noob at mig welding (a few tries, seat rails into my car [that i'll have to cut out cause its wrong anyway]) whats a good size/brand to get into?

Lets say i have a shoe string budget, and the best i've got for power supply is standard house mains. How many amps should i be looking for? Brand? Supplier? All that i'm looking to do is little projects, roof rack for the car, body panel repair, maybe at the very heaviest duty a tow hitch into my car etc.

AC-255 20% duty cycle

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...rs&locale=1033
1Paul 2:15
For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. 16 Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil;... .
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #1219
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
How about *eventually* a tow hitch?
Still wouldn't be my weapon of choice for a hitch..but if you know what you are doing you can get away with a lot of short cuts.
I guess my point is when you are just starting out.. start with projects that don't envolve life and death. I have seen some real messes with hitches.

None of us are born with much knowledge..we all have to start somewhere.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #1220
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog
Still wouldn't be my weapon of choice for a hitch..but if you know what you are doing you can get away with a lot of short cuts.
I guess my point is when you are just starting out.. start with projects that don't envolve life and death. I have seen some real messes with hitches.

None of us are born with much knowledge..we all have to start somewhere.
Gary
Absolutely. I'll probably just stick with minor stuff. Luggage racks, roof racks, so forth.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #1221
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave
Stick welding though? Isnt that a bit clumsy/advanced/powerful for sticking conduit and light angle iron together?

Old 01-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #1222
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode
Stick welding though? Isnt that a bit clumsy/advanced/powerful for sticking conduit and light angle iron together?

cheapest entry into welding anything.

If you can arc weld the others are easy.
1Paul 2:15
For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. 16 Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil;... .
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #1223
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Just got a Uniweld mini torch set to play with.

I took a gas welding class during the summer as part of my A&P program and I thought I was doing pretty good, but I'm having trouble getting started.

I'm working with 16ga mild steel. The tip size is #2 and my filler rod is 3/32" RG-45 (I know too big, but its the smallest i've been able to find).

It seems like the tip is running way too hot.

We were working with the same steel and thickness, but we were using Harris torches with 0 size tips.

I can't seem to get a puddle going. It pretty much goes from dull red to gone in half a second and the filler rod isn't cooperating too well either.

Also when we were doing the class it was about 98 degrees outside as opposed to the 55 it was today.

Suggestions?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #1224
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,043
The #2 tip is too big, even a #1 might be a bit big, the "O" you were using in school would work prolly the best.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #1225
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
The #2 tip is too big, even a #1 might be a bit big, the "O" you were using in school would work prolly the best.
Cool thanks!

This sounds kind of dumb, but are most tips the same or do I specifically need one from uniweld, I know mixers are often different but we're just talking about the tip here.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #1226
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Cool thanks!

This sounds kind of dumb, but are most tips the same or do I specifically need one from uniweld, I know mixers are often different but we're just talking about the tip here.
Actually that's a pretty good question that I don't know off hand as I don't know the uniweld brand. I've always used Victor which is prolly the most common torch. There are a lot of knock-offs of the Victor torch out there and swapping tips could very well be possible. I would simply take your existing tip with you and see what the welding supply shop has that is a match. You want all of the little "o" rings on the tip to seal in the torch handle or you could have a problem.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #1227
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
Actually that's a pretty good question that I don't know off hand as I don't know the uniweld brand. I've always used Victor which is prolly the most common torch. There are a lot of knock-offs of the Victor torch out there and swapping tips could very well be possible. I would simply take your existing tip with you and see what the welding supply shop has that is a match. You want all of the little "o" rings on the tip to seal in the torch handle or you could have a problem.
That's what I was planning.

I did find last night that some of uniwelds tips are virtual copies of a particular Harris tip, but I lost the site.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:11 AM   #1228
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider

Oddometer: 895
Would a gas-less MIG welder be okay for making racks and pannier supports ? One of my old jobs I did alot of stick welding but really cant afford a setup like that and was looking at a couple cheaper MIG welders. Also Ive never ran a MIG welder but have read if I can stick weld okay I should be able to MIG weld with no problems. What should I get ?

03 Honda XR250R
r00t4rd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:22 AM   #1229
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t4rd3d
Would a gas-less MIG welder be okay for making racks and pannier supports ? One of my old jobs I did alot of stick welding but really cant afford a setup like that and was looking at a couple cheaper MIG welders. Also Ive never ran a MIG welder but have read if I can stick weld okay I should be able to MIG weld with no problems. What should I get ?
It'll be fine, just not very pretty.

Like stick welding.

MIG welding isn't any different in concept than stick, you just have to adjust wire feed speed with the dial instead of your hand.

I'd wouldn't go with anything capable of less than 140 amps for what you're doing.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #1230
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
That's what I was planning.

I did find last night that some of uniwelds tips are virtual copies of a particular Harris tip, but I lost the site.
http://www.sealseat.com/prod01.htm

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote