Quote:
Originally Posted by neilaction View Post
Its a plan.
Well I might tag along too then
Old 03-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #4652
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,966
I'll be slave'n at the wheel. people gotta eat and shit .................................................. ......................apparently
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #4653
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by bully1 View Post
I'll be slave'n at the wheel. people gotta eat and shit .................................................. ......................apparently
Eat AND shit is better than eat ING shit.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #4654
vk6yjs
The answer is yes

Oddometer: 575
Monday

Practice ride?

I should be able to tag along. If this is a practice ride then I need one .. Been off shore for 2 weeks without a bike !!

Can't say I am in for the NJ ride but at least I can help you pick up ur bike when it falls ( 200 kg +++) on the trial run.

See how we go .

Monday 7:30 BP Welshpool??

Cheers Jay

2013 Zook DRZ400E (New one arrived) Wish I could ride it properly.
vk6yjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #4655
fatgut
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by vk6yjs View Post
Practice ride?

I should be able to tag along. If this is a practice ride then I need one .. Been off shore for 2 weeks without a bike !!

Can't say I am in for the NJ ride but at least I can help you pick up ur bike when it falls ( 200 kg +++) on the trial run.

See how we go .

Monday 7:30 BP Welshpool??

Cheers Jay
Hi Jay.
Went in for a new two way last week and they said you were away.
BP Crystal Brook (top the hill Welshpool rd).
Kev.
fatgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #4656
neilaction

Confirmed

Always happy when the bike starts after a bit of down time/maintenance.

See yous there.

Forecast for Monday
Hot, sunny. Light to moderate NE'ly winds shifting NW/SW during the afternoon.
Min 21 Max 37
Old 03-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #4657
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Corrected

[QUOTE=neilaction;18131671]Always happy when the bike starts after a bit of down time/maintenance.

"Always happy when the bike starts after a bit of a lay down".
Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 AM   #4658
neilaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Pilot View Post

"Always happy when the bike starts after a bit of a lay down".
Well it was tired.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:13 AM   #4659
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
NJ test ride

A good test for NJ anyway. At 36-37 degrees it was a solid work out for all.
Now you have some idea what it's like to lug a 200kg+ bike everyday
Old 03-05-2012, 04:13 AM   #4660
ROWDY1
disturbin the dirt

Oddometer: 62
Practice ride N/J

How did you boys fair with overweight steeds, where did you go for deep creekbed sand , any pics of your setups. cheers Ross.
ROWDY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:43 AM   #4661
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
I think we need a few pic's of these overloaded bikes.
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #4662
ithaca62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Holland Track - a MUST DO ride

Hi All,

A quick report on the HT.

Firstly, thanks to others who have posted RR's on the HT, gave me the confidence to give it a go.

Headed to Hyden from Perth saturday morning. There were 2 riders there on a 990 and a Tenerife fueling about to head out on the HT as well. I fueled up and headed off about 1:30 happy that there would be someone else out there behind me. Got to the turn off from the Norseman road and let the tyres down to about 18, took a pic and headed in. I've done the bit to MT Holland last year in my jeep but didn't remember it being so sandy. I'm not that experienced in the sand so I was pretty hesitant and was going too slow early on but I managed to stay upright. After about 15 minutes I did a quick stop and let the tyres down to 12 which made things better and headed off again. This pressure seemed right, plus as I felt more confident I was going faster and steering was better, sitting on around 30-35km/hr. Another stop after an hour and the other 2 guys caught up and we had a break and chat together. On their heavier bikes they were finding it tough. There were also other bike tracks and footsteps in the sand where someone in front had had a few "offs". I would meet them the next day. Another stop an hour or so later and the other two said they were going to start looking for a campspot, they were going to stop at 5. I kept on, got to the Banker-Mount Day Rd crossing about 5:45 and had a break. Headed off again and rode till it was dark. Not many spots to pull over in this section but I found something and setup camp. Packed up and riding just after 7. Of course I get 500m and there is a nice rocky outcrop with open area around it, I think it was Krakouer Rocks that would've been a better place to camp. Another 10 minutes and it was back into the salmon gum woodlands again and happened across another 2 riders packing up their camp. If only I'd ridden another 15 minutes. These guys were on a training ride for a Cape Leewin to Cape York ride in May. They were on a KLR650 and 800GS. The guy on the 800 had had a few offs. They were running on/off road tyres and finding the sandy sections tough. We rode together to Victoria Rocks road (the end of the track) and up to Coolgardie arriving at 11am. At Coolgardie they were meeting a mate who was riding a 1200 GS. A big heavy beast for the sandy stuff, he had only lasted 500m the previous day then headed back to the Norseman Rd and rode via Norseman - Widgie to get to Coolgardie. Had a break, refuelled and slabbed it back to Perth with a deviation to do a bit of the high voltage line and pipeline. I'm riding a stock DR650 with a safari tank and the refill at Coolgardie took 17 litres. I'm pretty confident with normal riding to get 600km out of a tank.

Well, my sand riding skills are 1000% better than they were. The salmon gum and gimlet woodland sections on that firm orange dirt are brilliant. The ride is worth it just to do those sections. Conditions out there are good at the moment, no significant rain for weeks and all the ruts are dry. It's a great ride and confidence builder for big trips, anybody that hasn't done it... DO IT!

Paul.
ithaca62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #4663
neilaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca62 View Post
Hi All,

A quick report on the HT.

Firstly, thanks to others who have posted RR's on the HT, gave me the confidence to give it a go.

Headed to Hyden from Perth saturday morning. There were 2 riders there on a 990 and a Tenerife fueling about to head out on the HT as well. I fueled up and headed off about 1:30 happy that there would be someone else out there behind me. Got to the turn off from the Norseman road and let the tyres down to about 18, took a pic and headed in. I've done the bit to MT Holland last year in my jeep but didn't remember it being so sandy. I'm not that experienced in the sand so I was pretty hesitant and was going too slow early on but I managed to stay upright. After about 15 minutes I did a quick stop and let the tyres down to 12 which made things better and headed off again. This pressure seemed right, plus as I felt more confident I was going faster and steering was better, sitting on around 30-35km/hr. Another stop after an hour and the other 2 guys caught up and we had a break and chat together. On their heavier bikes they were finding it tough. There were also other bike tracks and footsteps in the sand where someone in front had had a few "offs". I would meet them the next day. Another stop an hour or so later and the other two said they were going to start looking for a campspot, they were going to stop at 5. I kept on, got to the Banker-Mount Day Rd crossing about 5:45 and had a break. Headed off again and rode till it was dark. Not many spots to pull over in this section but I found something and setup camp. Packed up and riding just after 7. Of course I get 500m and there is a nice rocky outcrop with open area around it, I think it was Krakouer Rocks that would've been a better place to camp. Another 10 minutes and it was back into the salmon gum woodlands again and happened across another 2 riders packing up their camp. If only I'd ridden another 15 minutes. These guys were on a training ride for a Cape Leewin to Cape York ride in May. They were on a KLR650 and 800GS. The guy on the 800 had had a few offs. They were running on/off road tyres and finding the sandy sections tough. We rode together to Victoria Rocks road (the end of the track) and up to Coolgardie arriving at 11am. At Coolgardie they were meeting a mate who was riding a 1200 GS. A big heavy beast for the sandy stuff, he had only lasted 500m the previous day then headed back to the Norseman Rd and rode via Norseman - Widgie to get to Coolgardie. Had a break, refuelled and slabbed it back to Perth with a deviation to do a bit of the high voltage line and pipeline. I'm riding a stock DR650 with a safari tank and the refill at Coolgardie took 17 litres. I'm pretty confident with normal riding to get 600km out of a tank.

Well, my sand riding skills are 1000% better than they were. The salmon gum and gimlet woodland sections on that firm orange dirt are brilliant. The ride is worth it just to do those sections. Conditions out there are good at the moment, no significant rain for weeks and all the ruts are dry. It's a great ride and confidence builder for big trips, anybody that hasn't done it... DO IT!

Paul.
Nice Paul

Remember, if there's no pictures it didn't happen.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #4664
ithaca62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Cool2 HT Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilaction View Post
Nice Paul

Remember, if there's no pictures it didn't happen.

ithaca62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:30 AM   #4665
Koos
Wheeled Wanderer

Oddometer: 229
Well done Paul. And done with the top heavy packing. Thanks for the update.

Koos

DR650....well equipped
The Grey Mare "flying brickette" '96 BMW K75 RT......love that bike!
F 800 GS [Sold] - the bike the GS was always intended to be
Koos is offline   Reply With Quote