ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2007, 08:36 AM   #31
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,886
Perhaps cmwoodys or another knowledgable person can comment on this...

I am curious about how many via or way points are inserted when one grabs a route and "rubber bands" it. Put another way, how densely is the new route marked with points, and will there be enough to prevent the route from changing in the GPS unit? In the past, I have made routes in mapsource and after getting it where I want it to be, I have dropped a lot of way points into the route, just to keep it where I see it in mapsource. I leave them with the auto-generated names and only change waypoint names on waypoints that need to be understood, like "rally site" or "day 1 camp site". That way, when I approach a waypoint called something cryptic like 3442ECr-612, I know it is just one of my markers and I can ignore it.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Old 04-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #32
jkersh1
Live it, or live with it

Oddometer: 63
Doh! Occam's razor strikes again. Who'd a figured it was point and click. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:25 AM   #33
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
I am curious about how many via or way points are inserted when one grabs a route and "rubber bands" it. Put another way, how densely is the new route marked with points, and will there be enough to prevent the route from changing in the GPS unit?
I think each "rubber banding" generates exactly one via point in MapSource, at the location you click during the final step of the rubber-banding.

How many via points get transferred to the GPS (and therefore how likely you'll get the same route on both Mapsource and the GPS) seems to vary from GPS to GPS. On my 60-series, only the via points you can see in the route in Mapsource get transferred. On other GPSs, it has been reported that additional "hidden" via points are transferred to ensure better matchup.

- Mark
Old 04-24-2007, 10:58 AM   #34
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I think each "rubber banding" generates exactly one via point in MapSource, at the location you click during the final step of the rubber-banding.

How many via points get transferred to the GPS (and therefore how likely you'll get the same route on both Mapsource and the GPS) seems to vary from GPS to GPS. On my 60-series, only the via points you can see in the route in Mapsource get transferred. On other GPSs, it has been reported that additional "hidden" via points are transferred to ensure better matchup.

- Mark

Hmmm. Very interesting, Mark. Thanks!
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Old 04-27-2007, 04:31 AM   #35
Bennett
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Cool, you learn something every day... Mapsource does not like google earth for me. It starts it up and puts an entry in Temp places, but there is no route or anything at all.

One question. Even on Highest detail there are some roads that Mapsource will not display unless you zoom in to 700 meters or below... It will route you over these roads if you tell it to. Is there any detail setting etc that forces mapsource to show all roads at any height?

Anyone have any ideas. I can't see any options to fix it.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:34 PM   #36
duckrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
This thread should have a sticky. Can someone make that happen?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #37
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
I was just thinking the same thing.

done
Old 05-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #38
Bob Ain't Stoppin'
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Africa??????

I'm a bit new to gps, so I hope this is the right place to ask this. Have been using Streets and Trips for some time, so Mapquest was a quick learn. I just made up four routes for a trip I'm starting tomorrow. Downloading them to my 2720 went smoothly, but when confirming that they were really in the unit, only one was really there. The other three came up with a map of Africa and said no destination or way points. WTF is this about?

I called Garmin, and the tech guy said you really shouldn't make routes on the computer and then put them into the gps. Very unreliable, he says. Wellllll . . That's what I bought the dam thing for.

Has anyone else had this problem? Got a fix?

Thanks
Old 05-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #39
Colt03
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Bob,

Shoot me an email with one of the routes that wouldn't load and I'll see what happens on my system.

Craig
2004 R1150GS
Yankee Beemers
IBMWR
Old 05-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #40
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,505
Finally made the move to a GPS. After years of traveling with large state atlases (real pain storing on the bike) I decided to upgrade.

Wanted to just repeat the bit THANK YOU to CMWoodys for this thread. I am trying to read up on all I can b4 the 2610 arrives so I'll atleast have an idea of how ignorant I am.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:23 AM   #41
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,699
Another big thumbs up to Chris!

My new 60Cx isn't here yet, but I'm trying to learn all I can about GPS. This is golden!

Thanks Chris and everyone for the great info on this thread

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
Old 06-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #42
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,120
Question for everyone: Has anyone tried the Trimble Outdoors product?

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Products.aspx

I finally broke down and bought a Windoze box since Garmin is dragging their feet on Mapsource for OS X, so I can FINALLY join in on the fun and games here.

BTW, EXCEPTIONAL write up, Woody. It is a big help to point me in the direction needed...
Old 06-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #43
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

OK, as I play a bit more, I've got another question. I've got the latest version of Mapsource and also got GE. However, the "View in Google Earth" is greyed out in Mapsource. Perhaps a little more clarification there?

I'm new to a bunch of this stuff, so thanks.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:40 AM   #44
Incabiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
So basically for my 60cx, if I create a route on Mapsource and I want to follow that route exactly the way I created it, then thats just wishful thinking on my part? I pretty much just make tracks of all the offroad stuff that I want to follow. But what if I want to go on a scenic ride-drive with my family and have it all plannd out on Mapsource, then it will be impossible to follow this route unless I have spent a good deal of time tweaking it?? Guess its just better to do it the good old way and follow a map?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:46 AM   #45
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incabiker
So basically for my 60cx, if I create a route on Mapsource and I want to follow that route exactly the way I created it, then thats just wishful thinking on my part? I pretty much just make tracks of all the offroad stuff that I want to follow. But what if I want to go on a scenic ride-drive with my family and have it all plannd out on Mapsource, then it will be impossible to follow this route unless I have spent a good deal of time tweaking it?? Guess its just better to do it the good old way and follow a map?
Not at all! Let it do the intial route and then click once on that route. Find the place that has a road that you want to be be on that it may have not chosen, click once, and pull it to that road. Very simple. It take some time to "convince" the software to get where you want it to go sometimes, but it will get there and as you get better, it will go faster.

You can also use the settings to as to what types of roads to avoid: toll, highway, etc. This will help you to not have to make as many changes.
Closed Thread