User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
Hotspice OP
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,524
R1200GSA Charcoal Canister Removal

I finally got around to writing up my canister removal for the GSA and thought I would share it here.

Sorry that the pictures are a bit big but the formatting for my site doesn't carry over to here so you can grap a .pdf by clicking HERE if you want one.
--------------------

The charcoal canister is located on the left (shifter) side of the bike just before the passenger peg. Before Removing the canister I removed the two top hoses and the one bottom hose. The reason for this is the canister is still firmly mounted and easier to work with.

After removing all hoses I removed the three clamps that held the charcoal canister to the frame using the Torx bit that comes in the toolkit.

After the canister is removed you need to remove some body panels to gain access to the Fuel Tank Breather Valve. On the GSA there is the top cover that is attached in two places. Again using the Torx bit supplied in the tool kit you need to remove the visible retaining bolt and then the front bolt which is not visible unless you get under the the shroud a little. In the photo below I've kept the driving light in the shot as a reference point of where to look for the front retaining bolt.

Once the decorative shroud was removed I removed the small black side cover that helps you gain access to the Fuel Tank Breather Valve. By removing this side cover you now have access to all three of the bolts that hold the tank cover side panel. Remove these three Torx bolts that hold the tanks decorative side cover. Once removed you will have all the access to the valve and hoses that you need to complete the job.

With the cover removed you will see the Fuel Tank Breather Valve (FTBV) and the two hoses that are connected to it.

The lower hose is one of the hoses that you disconnected from the charcoal canister so once you remove it you can set it to the side because you will not need it any more.
The upper hose runs to the left throttle assembly. You will need to remove this hose from both the FTBV and the throttle body. Once again this hose will no longer be used for anything so you can set it to the side.

With the hoses removed you now need to use some rubber caps to seal off the vacuum openings. I used two 1/4" vacuum caps that I purchased at my local auto parts store to seal off the FTBV openings. For the Throttle body opening I used the BMW cap # 13541560594 since it seems a little more durable than the auto parts store covers.

Technically at this point you have removed all of the hoses you need to remove and you can just use a plastic hose connector to join these two hoses and you are done.

Personally I didn't like the way the hose was routed so I removed the line that had the 90' bend and it's connector and replaced it with standard fuel line from my local auto Parts Store.

I also used the stock hose retainer and positioned it in such a way that by looking at the bike you would not notice I had a connector joining two sections of fuel line.

This isn't necessary, just something I do to keep everything looking clean and tidy and can be seen at the picture to the right..

Finally I routed the lower section of the overflow line a little differently than the manufacturer. For me it seemed to be run too close to the exhaust system and now that the canister wasn't there to catch the majority of the overflow I wanted to route the line farther to the outside of the bike.
There happens to be a nice slot in the frame near the left footpeg and shifter so this is where I ran my overflow hose to get it a little farther away from the exhaust.

And there you have it, a pretty straightforward, simple charcoal canister removal for the R1200 GS Adventure that can pretty much be done with just what you have in your toolkit and a couple small vacuum caps and hose connector.

Total time on this project was about 90 minutes and that included taking time to take pictures for this writeup.

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,815
Good work! I'd suggest you submit this to the Hall of Wisdom submittal thread in the above sticky
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
Two Dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Here is my non-technical new guy question... Why remove it?

'07 GS Adventure
'05 KLR 650 - Gone to a good home

BMW OA #136343

I'd rather be lucky than good...
Two Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,716
Excellent write up. I'll wait and see what comments you get from the peanut gallery before I immoralize it in the HoW.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #5
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Dog
Because if you actually get gas in it, it will do more harm than good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
Hotspice OP
Satellites not acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
Excellent write up. I'll wait and see what comments you get from the peanut gallery before I immoralize it in the HoW.
I'll clean it up and re-pdf it for ya before it's put there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Dog
Some remove it for added room for aftermarket shocks, some for looks, and some to get away from the problem that occurs when you fill up the tank. The last case was why I did it.

On longer rides I fill my bike to the top of the tank and don't want the gas flowing into what was intended to be a vapor recovery system and pooling. I've never experienced it firsthand (maybe because I have yanked the canister on both of my GS's) but you hear plenty of stories about people overfilling and the bike running like crap or stalling because of this.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #7
impi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Why did you plug the hose connection points on the solenoid after you pulled the hoses - it's not going anywhere and only exists to keep the CAN happy.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:46 AM   #8
mv_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Strange, my 2006 R1200GSA did not have this canister when I got from BMW dealer.

R1200GS Adventure
Alpine off-road 2008 (adv. trip report)
Alps again in 2007
(note the garmin track data)
French-Italian Alps 2006

mv_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:52 AM   #9
Hotspice OP
Satellites not acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi
Why did you plug the hose connection points on the solenoid after you pulled the hoses - it's not going anywhere and only exists to keep the CAN happy.
In looking around I found that most people left the solenoid on and only one person in the bunch took his off so I decided to leave mine on and plugged into the CanBus.

I always like to make sure everything I do can be reversed easily should I get rid of the bike. I know the solenoid is up high and protected pretty well from body panels but I wanted to make sure that it stayed in good working order in the event it gets returned to stock. Putting the caps on give me the peace of mind that no dirt, mud, or moisture will find there way to the internals of the solenoid.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #10
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by mv_
Strange, my 2006 R1200GSA did not have this canister when I got from BMW dealer.
Its an American thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:03 AM   #11
r2adv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Cannister Removal

Great write-up and pictures on the cannisterectomy!

One other step can be taken. Since the vent lines from the tank now both go to the same place, you can also eliminate one line all the way back to the tank. There are a couple of hose elbows that can all be removed.

On my bike this made wiring for the PHIDs easier with more space along the left side of the airbox.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:41 AM   #12
jcolombo
Lurking Moderator

Oddometer: 1,248
Excellent post!

My thanks also for writing and documenting this so well. I've done this on all my other GS's but this was was so different it was causing some head scratching. No problem any more with your fine documentation!

And I concur on the solenoid. Removing it will only give your mechanic lots of error codes to read when you bring the bike in. No good reason to raise that reg flag, I think.

JC
jcolombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #13
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,277
Question Warranty?

Does removal of the canister void the BMW warranty?

And, not jumping on anyone, but does fuel getting into the canister really have an adverse affect on the bike? If yes, what is the cause and effect links that cause a problem? Or is this conjecture and not grounded in fact but speculation...again I am not challenge anyone but merely trying to separate fact from "it must be if" analysis of a real or preceived issue..

I second the nice photo essay and description..well done.

Thanks..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:48 AM   #14
jcolombo
Lurking Moderator

Oddometer: 1,248
No issues

I've taken the canister off of probably 10 bikes and never had any issues. I'm sure some of that could be up to your dealers, but I've never heard any issues specifically related to this removal.

There are reports of people having running issues when fuel enters the canister. I have not heard of any lately, however.

I personally have never had an issue, but as I noted, I generally take them off asap for all the reasons others have noted.
jcolombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:09 PM   #15
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,716
I added this proceedure to the HoW.

JJ
ps I also added Hotspices starter connector mod write-up as well.

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote