User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
01Belgarda600 OP
Bourbon Guzzler

Oddometer: 25
Great Divide

Hey guys, I am looking at heading North along the Great Divide from Ballarat for a week or two and maybe back along the East Coast. I missed my Autumn window and hoping late Spring or next Autumn might be the go. I'm taking my TTR 600 Belgarda and have been going over it bit by bit and will be ready in a few months time. I'm going for road registable knobbies as I am getting it registered and it will have to go to VicRoads for inspection. I ordered a 55lt ventura pack and rack today which I will slightly modify, I have average sized saddle bags and a good hiking backpack. I think that should be ample storage room.

I'm looking for trails and the backroads, events and places of interest to visit along the way, all suggestions are welcome, local knowledge and prior experince goes a long way. I bought the bike for the high country and have done the "son of a bitch track" and the "Barkly jeep track" down hill on day rides and no extra gear. The barkley was about as difficult as i would want to go solo packed full of gear, getting older and wiser I hope.

The trip depends on how far I get before I run out of time and head back. So any suggestions are welcome as I can pick up where I finish the next year and so on. I dont care if it takes 5 years to get to Cape York, but I'm going there.

Cheers
01Belgarda600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,940
Is this the standard / style you're after?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526382

ps you've given a good description of degree of difficulty / bike, but is there any particular type of things you like to see when travelling? eg scenery / history / relics etc???
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
01Belgarda600 OP
Bourbon Guzzler

Cool

Cheers for that Doc, very impressive. That is the type of ridding I use to do and why I bought my TTR. We us to have a base camp and do a morning ride and an afternoon ride. So the packing of gear is new to me as even on my VFR750 I got accommodation every night. I had a look at the other links posted of other trips and the amount of gear carried is varied a bit.

Can you give me a run down on what you 3 carried?
The amount of fuel you carried?
And roughly what distance/hrs in the saddle each day?

I'm looking to explore around and see a bit of history on the way, mining, dams, historic towns/settlements, pretty much what you guys have done. I liked the idea of dropping down to the coast like you did, and that you were not overly planned. I dont mind camping, but would budget for meals and accommodation each day.

Top stuff Doc.

01Belgarda600 screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 05:54 AM
Old 05-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

In vic we get by with standard 640 tanks (25-28 litres , or about 450 km) , but with a little planning you could get by with much less. I enjoy the luxury of getting lost a few times a day and making unexpected discoveries, so we sometimes carry a turtle pack with us so we can add another 20 litres if a route sounds really interesting.

Gear: we tend to pack pretty light, enough to get by if we camp out but expecting accomodation every few days. We all carry our own basic camping gear ( either bivvy sack or 1/2 person tents , exped synmatt, good sleeping bags etc) , food for a couple of days ( eg back country freeze dried meals) , a small stove between the 3 of us, a water purifier between the 3 of us, first aid kit, sat phone, a lght change of clothes, etc. If I try, I can get it all into an adystraps A bag, but I usually use andstraps panniers so I don't need to fiddle around. You'll see nrms dr just as a couple of aussie dsposals canvas bags and his tent cross the back...he's the king of minimalism...the tent is a new luxury for him....

Invest in the rooftops series of maps: lots of good info including interesting places to visit / camp / viewpoints / and some insight into track diffculty. Some days I'd start off highlighting things I'd like to see in the morning, but usually by midday I'd have been distacted by a nice looking trail or two ....

Small groups of flexible like minded people are a good idea, the guys I did that trip with are great company and we've covered some fantastic country together over the years. With the right people, you can't go wrong touring the great divide.

Dr AT screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 06:24 AM
Old 05-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
01Belgarda600 OP
Bourbon Guzzler

Prep

Yeah no probs Doc, sounds pretty striaght forward with a bit of thought and planning. Might take a few dummy runs to see whats best for me and my bike. I have some decent tracks at home to test it all out fully loaded.
I found the rooftops site and that will be a must.
I can get a 20lt tank for my model which should give me 250km+ (12-14km/liter)

Thanks for your info Doc, should help me plenty.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,833
heres some roots

http://www.motorbikin.com.au/cat/ind...duct_id=444399
Old 05-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
medicmick
Spike

Oddometer: 832
Rosscoast GDR

Rosscoast did the GDR (Great Divide Ride) quite a few years back, there should be a ride report sonmewhere. If I recall he blew up a few bikes preparing for it or attempting it, caused numerous floods and bushfires, but had a great ride.

MM.

from TL125 to '08 DL 650 WeeStrom in 30 years.

Ulysses # 51624
FarRider #300

Circumnavigated the island of Rarotonga ,Cook Islands, all 32kms of it on a Nifty50. Does that qualify as an Adventure.

You can do it hard but do it safe.
medicmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
Nanin
Halfozze

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Belgarda600 View Post
Yeah no probs Doc, sounds pretty striaght forward with a bit of thought and planning. Might take a few dummy runs to see whats best for me and my bike. I have some decent tracks at home to test it all out fully loaded.
I found the rooftops site and that will be a must.
I can get a 20lt tank for my model which should give me 250km+ (12-14km/liter)

Thanks for your info Doc, should help me plenty.
I've got the same bike I think, TTR600 belgarda, with the acerbis tank, 20lts, and I get 325 before reserv, this day I ran out of fuel,tony is giving me some lts from his bladder, and I did 378ks, mostly dirt roads, no single tracks,from cracow.

Cheers
Nanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:54 AM   #9
DazRSV
Danadise member

Oddometer: 199
G'day Belgrada,
lets see some pics of your steed ! I think the 600 is a great bike and have been looking at one to upgrade my TTR.

One thing I would keep an eye on with the Ventura rack is fatigue on the bar where it inserts into the lower section that attaches to your bike, I had one fail and my mate had his fail on a run to the island from Sydney we did and we did nothing to extreme.
sounds like a great trip!

Sleeper TTR250

2003 KTM 640 Adventureeeeeeeee
DazRSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #10
01Belgarda600 OP
Bourbon Guzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
Cheers Philth, Melb to Jindabyne sounds about a good start.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #11
01Belgarda600 OP
Bourbon Guzzler

Thanks Nanin, I gauge mine by my speedo and usually hit reserve at around 90km which is 7 liters I think. I am running 14/52 I think which gears it down a bit. I had trouble downhill when I first bought it with stock tyres and gearing, Too fast and too loose.
Your tank is what I will buy I think, doubt I'll see change from $500 by the time I get one delivered.

Thanks Daz, I have made my own pillion handles as I had to mount a plastic crate for my past dog for pig hunting. They are very solid and I will be basing the flat section of the ventura rack on top of them to take up some of the stress you experienced.

The dog trashed the original seat cover and I had a tarp maker cover mine with canvas, so far so good.

When I work out how to add the pics I will but here is a link.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96537456@N08/8839802625/
Second set of plastics, second set of handle bars, on third set of sprockets, 4th set of tyres 11,000 kms from when i bought it brand new.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
01Belgarda600 OP
Bourbon Guzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmick View Post
Rosscoast did the GDR (Great Divide Ride) quite a few years back, there should be a ride report sonmewhere. If I recall he blew up a few bikes preparing for it or attempting it, caused numerous floods and bushfires, but had a great ride.

MM.
Cheers MM, I will have a look on here for the adventures of Rosscoast, sounds like it will be a biblical read...
Old 06-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #13
01Belgarda600 OP
Bourbon Guzzler

Hey Doc
Do you own your own sat phone out right? have one on a plan? or hire one?
I can now carry 30 litres of fuel. Acerbis tank 20lt and two slim 5lt containers for the panniers i got from Rays Outdoors. I have the tank at a local saddlery making up a cover out of horse rug material. I will post a link once I have some pics. Stuffed if I can post them here.
Cheers
Old 06-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #14
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

I bought my sat outright 6/7 years ago. I simply put the sim out of my Telstra mobile into it when there is no mobile reception. Apparently you cop huge call charges this way... But to be honest if I need it the cost is irrelevant ( aprox $2 a minute? )

Unfortunately my phone has started having difficulty keeping the battery charged, it's a motorolla 9505 a, I've been meaning to run the multimeter over it ..thanks for reminding me.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:12 AM   #15
01Belgarda600 OP
Bourbon Guzzler

Acerbis Tank Cover

Hey guys I am slowly making progress and now have my 20Lt tank cover made and fitted to the TTR. I have also been map hunting and found that the DSE or Primary Industry store will have great maps of most of Australia. They even have fire trails so check them out. Only down side is the size and price. It takes 4 books to cover Vic and at around $90 each, but highly detailed. you can buy individual paper fold out maps for day rides at around $10.

As I still have not worked out how to post pics, here is the link to my new tank cover, scroll through. http://www.flickr.com/photos/96537456@N08/10114136784/