User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
Lutz OP
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,251
Motion Pro Blind Bearing Puller Collet

Can anyone tell me what thread the Motion Pro Blind Bearing Puller collets use to attach to the slide hammer? I'd like to buy a Motion Pro replacement collet if it will fit my generic slide hammer, but I can't find the thread size listed for the Motion Pro part.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
NevBlu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Threads on Motion Pro collett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Can anyone tell me what thread the Motion Pro Blind Bearing Puller collets use to attach to the slide hammer? I'd like to buy a Motion Pro replacement collet if it will fit my generic slide hammer, but I can't find the thread size listed for the Motion Pro part.
I just purchase the 8 collett kit with slide hammer from Motion Pro and was wanting additional collates. It looks like a good quality kit, yet I have not used it yet. The 20 mm collet is too large for a needle bearing and the 17 mm collet will not expand to meet my needs.

So I took some colletts to my favorite True Value store to measure the collett thread size Surprise. It is NOT quite 1/2 x 13 the normal coarse thread and also NOT quite a 12 mm x 1.75 and NOT quite a 12 mm x 1.50 either. The above threads only went into the collate about 3 threads then locked up. Wrong thread size.

Puzzled I went to 2 other automotive stores to use their thread measuring gauges. It appears that an unusual combination of 1/2" x 12 fits the collet threads. This precludes using other manufactures collets and/or other manufacturers slide hammers too.

Any others out there want to comment? If you have a Motion Pro kit, please measure your threads to help the group here.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,106
How hard is it to pick up the phone and call Motion Pro. After all they made the thing.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
cameron110
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
How hard is it to pick up the phone and call Motion Pro. After all they made the thing.
It's made by a different company. Snap on will sell you the same kit off the truck for an even steeper price. I never figured out who the actual supplier was.

We just picked up the motion pro kit recently too and the 20mm is perfect tool for the 1200gs front wheel bearings which are extreemly difficult to remove because of the design of the spacer sleeve. We were hoping that the slide hammer could be used with some of our other pullers from BMW and Kukko but nothing matches.

nevblu: thanks for the leg work on identifying the thread.
cameron110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,143
I just go down to my local O'Reillys or Autozone and borrow their blind bearing pullers for free.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
rarepartbuilder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
i run into the weird thread pitches all the time,.that last one was on a set of pipe cleaning bushes used in a boiler shop... {the new brush set they bought wouldnt fit the rods you ram the brush into the pipe with} companies screw with standard pitch sizes to force folks to buy from them .... that or head to a machine shop to have the screwed up pitch put on an adapter/cut on a lathe.

Reaching for far less side stand rocks.... the PISTON MOD
rarepartbuilder is online now   Reply With Quote