Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #1
Tinker1980 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,386
Well well well - Questions about the well.

Or more accurately, the iron filter/water softener/big bucket o'salt/etc

The house isn't hooked up to city water. So we have a well. We also have a collection of plumbing equipment I'm not entirely familiar with.

Looks like there is a big tub full of salt, and a 6" diameter tube down the inside of that salt tub, with a auto feeder for resin cleaner. I keep the tub full of salt, the feeder full of cleaner.

There is a large, steel tank of mystery that as near as I can figure out, has greensand in it. It has a couple of pipes on it, it's about 15" in diameter and 5 ft tall, has a couple of pipes, and has a black cap on top that gives a 3" opening when you take it off.

There is a blue pressure vessel that as near as I can tell, holds pressure on the water line.

Lastly there is a thing shaped like an acetylene bottle, looks like it's made out of layered fiberglass, with some sort of clockwork thing on top of it.

Nobody, but NOBODY, seems to know anything about this pile of plumbing. As near as I can tell the only person who took the time to understand it, died ten years ago. It's in the wife's grandmother's house, we take care of the grandmother, and the wife's dad and uncle have been less than helpful with *how to take care of this*. Google doesn't give me much information unless I want to replace it all. Which is a thought.

It all seems to operate, but the problem is rust stains on the fixtures, cloudy dishes, so on and so forth recently. There is something I'm not doing, or that has stopped working, in the past few months. Any ideas as to what, exactly, I'm screwing up would be most helpful.
Tinker1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:31 PM   #2
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Any pictures? I have a well and will help if I can.

Mine is a simple set up compared to yours. My water comes from 900 feet down. I have a 5HP pump in the bottom of the well, the water pumps into a 10000 gallon tank and then I have a booster pump to give myself pressure at the house.

Pics would help.

DD
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
Tinker1980 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Certainly. Here are some pictures I've taken.

I think this is the iron filter, with the greensand in it.

Then there is this thing...

With this on top of it.

Pressure Vessel.

Salt tub.

A picture of the works - hard to get a good overall pic, it's a small room.

The pipe from the well itself.

I don't think the well is very far down. I've seen the pump, and the pump motor looks to be above ground. We are next to a river.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:19 AM   #4
oldmanron
Skeptical Otimist

Oddometer: 38
The fiberglass cylinder and the salt drum are two components your water softener. The cylinder is full of resin beads that are charged with ions from the salt when the softener cycles. The timer on top of the resin tank tells the softer how often and the time of day to recharge the resin tank. Settings depend on how "hard" your water is. The softener is good at removing calcium from water, but not so much for iron. The other tank looks like some kind of filter, and the blue pressure tank is charged with air above a bladder to help maintain water pressure so that the pump doesn't have to cycle every time you turn on the tap. I would start with testing the water to see if it is hard. Most places that sell or service softeners will do this for free, or you can get an inexpensive kit and diy. If its hard, check to make sure the softener is in service mode (you know, plugged in to an operating outlet and the the valves that supply water to it are open and not in the bypass configuration. You should be able to hear the timer running. Check the settings for time of day and frequency, and hit the recharge function and see if it is working.
oldmanron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:20 AM   #5
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
I have a similar system minus the sand barrel. The guy who installed it for me comes out once a year to service it and test my water. The tall acetylene type barrel gets refilled at that time ( I think maybe it's some type of soda ash or something?) He did say that you need to keep on top of the time setting on the unit so it backwashes at a time when you're not using water. Sorry I can't offer more but here's a good thread that might have some helpful info:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996975
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:59 AM   #6
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 1,025
Agree

i agree with old on what those things are.
Another thing I would like to ask I show is your water pressure? With all that galvanized pipe and hard water they could be plugged up something bad. I have seen 2" galvanized pipe where you could barly put a pencile through it. So even if you valves are open they might not be getting the proper flow to them. As stated might be worth having someone install a system or upgrading your current one. But if not at least get rid of the galvanized pipe.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:20 AM   #7
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,701
Cloudy dishes could be as easy as having used cheap liquid dishwashing detergent in your dishwasher.

rapidoxidationman screwed with this post 03-17-2015 at 07:08 AM
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:53 AM   #8
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,361
no need to keep your salt tank so full, it's good to be able to see the water level when it fills, just to make sure it's working. You can buy salt that removes iron, I see the bags next to the plain salt that I use, don't actually know what's different about it.

here's a link to get a free hardness test strip from Morton.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-h...est-your-water
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:03 AM   #9
chacha
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,741
What does the 3 way valve with the home made metal label say. I see "BKW" "Off" and filtered on it. My guess is its a manual back flushing valve. If that's the iron filter you may have to back flush it. I have an iron and sulfur filter on my well system and it back flushes every night to remove the iron and the sulfur smell from the water that has been filtered out for that day.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #10
bjewell
n00b

Oddometer: 6
The green sand filter may need to be regenerated. I have had one in the past that needed to be back flushed with Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4). That is probably what the large black cap is for on the filter top. KMnO4 stains everything so be careful if you do recharge it. Hydrogen Peroxide will remove some of the stains from your skin if you do get it on you.
bjewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #11
Tinker1980 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I had purchased a couple pounds of the potassium permagnate with intentions of back washing the iron filter, but someone (most likely my father in law) seems to have stolen them so I will have to drive some 50 miles to get more.

The regeneration/clockwork thing will operate if I manually turn it to each position, but it will not run through its cycles by itself. It acts like I'm not turning something on, I will look at it and be sure it's plugged in.

When I get the potassium permagnate what is the procedure to clean the filter with it? How much do I use?
Old 03-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #12
bjewell
n00b

I would dissolve the KMnO4 with water, pour it into the top of the filter, and then run water through the filter until I noticed a change in water color. Then I would backwash the
Old 03-17-2015, 11:54 AM   #13
bjewell
n00b

Sorry ... Fat Fingers

I would back flush the filter until the water was clear again. I'm not too sure of the dosing rate, I believe I used 5-pounds per recharge.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #14
bjewell
n00b

One more thing, don't use any water in the house while you are recharging the filter, the KMnO4 will cause a stain on any clothing or skin it touches at these dosages.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #15
Tinker1980 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yup, I've hear that KMnO4 will turn stuff colors.

I'm off to buy more. This batch won't be stolen, cause I'm keeping it under lock and key.

When you say "Run water through the filter" do you mean open the nearest faucet and run it, then backwash the filter?