User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #1
tundra61 OP
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 968
Coats 220 or No Mar - which is better?

I am trying to decide between the coats 220 or no mar. Cost aside - which have y'all used and which was better?

I will be using it in both street and dirt bikes. All feedback welcome.
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
LBS Bandit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I have changed hundreds with my coats 220 but I haven't used the no mar but I have watched all their videos on use and I can say from what I see the coats seem to be the way to go. Their rim clamp system seems awkward and I dont like their center post system. But thats just me.
LBS Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,812
If money and space to store are no issue, why not get the Coats?

I'd love a Coats 220 changer, but I just couldn't justify the extra cost and not being able to slide it out of the way like I do currently. I had a HF changer for 10+ years and had no issues. It's cheap, but gets the job done.

Now I have had the No-Mar for a couple years and pretty happy with everything except the bar it comes with and installing road tires. I seemed to do better with the HF even though I had to use rim protectors with it. I'm thinking of getting the Mojo bar and I'll be set. The bead breaking and the center post system on the NoMar work great and are some of my favorite features. It did take me a bit to get used to the rim clamps and for my 19" vstrom tire as I finally figured out one of the back clamps needed to be in the 16-19 hole and the other in the 19-21 hole to hold the rim securely. 17" rims are a breeze. I also have the dirt bike attachment clamps and they work great for Dirt bike tires!
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 08-14-2014 at 06:07 AM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,053
coat 220

built with really heavy weight heavy gauge steel. the bar is heavy, long and build tough. easy to get leverage. it works great getting the last bead in.

do be careful with the bead breaker. I cut up some gallon jugs to protect my rims
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:07 AM   #5
tundra61 OP
I wish I had a title

Does the coats require any extra parts to change dirt bike tires? Also, can you use the large bar to mount dirt tires or do you need spoons like no mar suggests?
Old 08-14-2014, 04:52 AM   #6
arctic954
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
I've had the No-Mar for 8+ years now..... changed hundreds of tires with it. The no-mar ends & bead breaker have never scratched a rim. You will need a special set of rim blocks for dirt bike tires....

for the $700 I paid back in the day....I have no complaints.
arctic954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBS Bandit View Post
I have changed hundreds with my coats 220 but I haven't used the no mar but I have watched all their videos on use and I can say from what I see the coats seem to be the way to go. Their rim clamp system seems awkward and I dont like their center post system. But thats just me.
I have a nomar, and completely agree....should have bought a coats. I do dirt bike tire changes on the ground faster than clamping the wheel, but it works well on street tires.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
tundra61 OP
I wish I had a title

why does the coats work better on a dirtbikes and overall what makes it better than no -mar?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

For me, the No-Mar works fine for dirt bike tires, but I have the optional dirt bike tire holders. You can see him switch out the standard holders for the dirt bike ones. I also do like he does and use tire irons on dirt bike tires and not the main bar.

I would guess the Coats is able to directly grab the dirt bike tires with its standard clamps, but I would still think it would be easier using tire irons? Not sure how it would handle it with tubes in the tires?

Old 08-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #10
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,053
I would think dirt bike tires can be changed with a couple spoons. all you need is something to hold the rim in place.

no mar or coats would be over kill.

coats have clamp/jaws holding the rim

the newer generation of sport touring 17" tires with stiff carcass are the real challenge.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #11
tundra61 OP
I wish I had a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
I would think dirt bike tires can be changed with a couple spoons. all you need is something to hold the rim in place.

no mar or coats would be over kill.

coats have clamp/jaws holding the rim

the newer generation of sport touring 17" tires with stiff carcass are the real challenge.
The main driver is changing road bike tires but I just want to be able to get the most utility out of whatever I buy.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #12
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra61 View Post
The main driver is changing road bike tires but I just want to be able to get the most utility out of whatever I buy.
The main advantage to the Coats is it takes most of the manual labor out of changing road tires. It probably still is a lot about technique, but I would bet the Coats is also much easier doing solo. There are certainly times with the no-mar you just meet your match with a stiff tire. Same thing I'm sure can happen with the Coats, but probably not as easily.

I've seen and participated with tire changes on a Coats and if done right, they are pretty much effortless. I haven't got my tire changes on the NoMar down to effortless yet, especially on meaty adventure tires. On the HF, I pretty much had it down pat on that one.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
tundra61 OP
I wish I had a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
The main advantage to the Coats is it takes most of the manual labor out of changing road tires. It probably still is a lot about technique, but I would bet the Coats is also much easier doing solo. There are certainly times with the no-mar you just meet your match with a stiff tire. Same thing I'm sure can happen with the Coats, but probably not as easily.

I've seen and participated with tire changes on a Coats and if done right, they are pretty much effortless. I haven't got my tire changes on the NoMar down to effortless yet, especially on meaty adventure tires. On the HF, I pretty much had it down pat on that one.
Thx for the info - why is that though? Is it because the coats is just heavier duty or is there something different about how it works?
Old 08-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #14
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Thx for the info - why is that though? Is it because the coats is just heavier duty or is there something different about how it works?
Well, one of the biggest advantages of the Coats is it has that leverage arm that basically spoons the tire on and off and all you are doing is getting the tire in the right place for it to do its job. That leaves your other hands free to hold the tire down in the valley of the rim so the machine doesn't have to work as hard and basically guide the tire to be in the right spot. On the manual tire changes, one person is pretty much occupied with the leverage bar and if they are solo, they also have to try to hold the tire down in the valley. A 2nd set of hands greatly reduces the effort here, but it still can be a struggle if the tire is really stiff or the guys doing it aren't that good.

Each tire machine has their own technique although the overall process is the same. It's just learning that machine and getting good with it.

The manual tire change machines can be a breeze too, you just have to have the process down and do everything correct.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #15
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Random question that may become relevant...where are you located?
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote