Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2009, 06:29 AM   #1486
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
Very cool! What is you are using for siding? Is it metal sheeting?
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #1487
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell57
Very cool! What is you are using for siding? Is it metal sheeting?
Yes, all metal siding and roofing. No insulation or anything. 2x10 PT sills on crush stone. Just something to keep stuff out of the rain/snow. The later of which we had yesterday.

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #1488
Patrick_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Heres me doing the best i can with our single car garage on apprentice wages

Im living in there in the moment, the only thing that makes it difficult is the lack of a bar fridge, which i am currently looking for.
There's a 3mx4m room through that door at the back which i am currently in the process of insulating/lining so i can put my bed in there but for now its the good old futon. No complaints here

The apple is my music computer, its hooked up to the stereo. The laptop + monitor are general web browsing, and the computer on the shelf is my DVD/TV.

Spent my first night out here last night, nice and comfy. I love it.
Patrick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #1489
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Good lord man, is that your only place to stay? I'd hate to have to live in my soon to be cave. Anyhow good stuff!
Old 10-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #1490
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

I went down to the lumber yard today and got a quote from the owner on all the stuff I need to make my shed. I went ahead and bought it all including 2 doors, windows, shingles and the work. I'm told it'll be delivered on tuesday! Wooo! I'm looking forward to more progress.

In preparation for the large amount of work I'm about to take on, I decided to build a table / bench for working on. It's 48" by 26" by 32" high and made from treated 2x4's and 7/16" osb. It's insanely sturdy and should hold my miter circular saw well. This way I won't be working on the ground and blowing out my knees and back before I'm close to being done. Check it out.

Only cost me about 13 dollars. The osb was a gimmie from the Mom's. She had a lot of work done to her house and had some sheets left over. Took 5 - 2x4x8's to make. I'll be installing a power outlet on it eventually. Also, once the shed is done, i'll have my first bench build for it. I'm anxious to get started on it, if you can't tell. :)
Old 10-17-2009, 08:49 PM   #1491
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
A before/during shot
Rick, what was your build times on each building. It seems you have quite a few you've built. They look to be built well. Good stuff. I love your wood working shop.

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
Old 10-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #1492
Patrick_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Good lord man, is that your only place to stay? I'd hate to have to live in my soon to be cave. Anyhow good stuff!
Well ive got my old room in the house, but its tiny, and i spend most of my time in the shed working on the bikes anyway so i figured i may as well make things easier
Patrick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:52 AM   #1493
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
Only ones that bother me are the ones with the plywood (crate) fastened to the bottom of the ceiling joists. Everytime you post that picture all I can see is that 'last straw' being placed up there for storage and your bike being destroyed below when it pulls out of the fasteners. Seems a friend had a similar situation not too long ago with a shelf mounted to drywall.

Good luck with your castle. Nice having a space.
You'll be happy to see that the plywood has been removed from the ceiling

From this

To this We still have to tape, mud & paint, but at least it's closed in, insulated & a cpl light fixtures have now been added. The garage originally had 4 fixtures controlled by two switches. Now there are six fixtures controlled by three switches. Two 8' flourescent fixtures are in place and a cpl 4'fixtures will be added later

We will also have to make a hatch to close that opening in the ceiling

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:06 AM   #1494
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

One thing the garage needed was storage space so I put in a shelving system with 6' shelves. To keep things from falling off the shelves the plywood from the ceiling was cut to fit the ends.

From this

& this

Started out with this

& this

Then added the sides

To packed with tools & other assorted items

Thanks to whomever it was who posted that they use plastic pails to store stuff in. I have a way to get as many as I need and they are ideal for storing similar items

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Old 10-18-2009, 05:54 AM   #1495
rick danger
Off the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf
Thanks to whomever it was who posted that they use plastic pails to store stuff in. I have a way to get as many as I need and they are ideal for storing similar items
Heres something that looks pretty cool for the pails. I may get some for storing the abrasive blasting media http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/s...ammaseals.html

Old 10-18-2009, 05:59 AM   #1496
rick danger
Off the wagon

Quote:
Rick, what was your build times on each building. It seems you have quite a few you've built. They look to be built well. Good stuff. I love your wood working shop.
Well, the big workshop took all last summer (08) into the winter. From clearing the land to painting the sheetrock. Its still getting "finished" as far as benches, pegboard etc. The shed with the garage doors took about a month. It has electric. And I had to do it all by my lonesome. The smaller lean-to type shed took about two weeks.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #1497
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Those are a great idea

Quote:
Heres something that looks pretty cool for the pails. I may get some for storing the abrasive blasting media http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/s...ammaseals.html

Old 10-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #1498
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 924
Got 4 x bikes in mine.....

And gell of a lot of cr*p.....

The wifes friend came round a while back... and ask's....

"Why have you got FOUR bikes in the garage?"

I replied - "Coz I can't fit FIVE in it!"
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #1499
pavemike
I fall down alot

Oddometer: 308
Just got this house 2 months ago and still have alot of work to do in the garage (updating lights is #1), but it holds 3 bikes and the wifes suv.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #1500
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
If you've never used them let me give you a on the Gamma seals. I have been using them for 15+ years on my duck hunting gear buckets. Just in case you've never had the privelidge to duck hunt the best occurs in the shittiest weather most people can think of : cold and wet, and close to or in a lake, river, swamp or flooded field. The Gammas have an O ring seal that makes them water tight, I have swamped a canoe in a river in single diget temps and was glad to have a spare set of clothes in a bucket with a gamma seal. Everything in it was bone dry and I had plenty to keep me warm. For storing media they would be great, no moisture invading the material.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote