Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #1531
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill
... check in at your local home improvement store ... they can usually help and if you go to Lowe's you can have them put your material list into "QSP" and get you some better prices (shameless spam alert, I work for Lowe's) ... Home Depot has a similar program as well ...

... just a thought ...
Good thought. I totally forgot about doing that.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:40 AM   #1532
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
For those fearing red. A beautiful shop and car. Seen here.

You sir suck. Can I have a ride if ever in Central IL?

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #1533
MetalBender
none

Oddometer: 570
Some of the bike barn inside. Last one barn is over box of truck in back ground. The idea was to put the RV inside during the winter months, don't know if that's going to happen though.

MetalBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #1534
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsman76
You sir suck. Can I have a ride if ever in Central IL?
Not mine. Just stumbled onto it.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #1535
sbbillder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
After living with a disorganized & unfinished Garage for the last year, I finally went through the pain of removing everything from the Garage (shelving, tools, etc...) and began the process of finishing the interior.
When we bought the house it was only a framed shell. We did the electrical, plumbing, insulation, drywall, paint and applied an epoxy to the floor. The last item on the list is raise the Garage door header & install a new, taller Garage door.

I installed 2 light ballasts more than I initially thought I would need, I am so happy I did. The lighting, along with the epoxy floor & the light walls/ceiling makes it great to work in. During the electrical rough-in I ran several switch legs for the lighting so I can use specific task lighting without powering all lights at once.

Even after getting rid of a fifth bike last week, not much room left in a standard four car Garage!!

sbbillder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #1536
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
For those fearing red. A beautiful shop and car. Seen here.

I really like the soffit with the recessed lights. Classy and clean-looking.

And although smooth shiny floors look awesome, I can't imagine pulling in on a bike with wet tires on such a floor.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #1537
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbillder

Even after getting rid of a fifth bike last week, not much room left in a standard four car Garage!!
Looks like you could fit a couple more in there, just couldn't put them single file! ;)

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #1538
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Made some more progress this week. Check out the pictures.

A couple people offered to come over and help Saturday. It ended up being a blessing in disguise. They helped finish up the forth wall (w/ windows) while I went to go help mom with car problems an hour and a half out of town. By the time I got back, they had finished the wall and started measuring for the lower roof rafter. On sunday my father in law came over again around 10am and we started on sheathing and finish all we could on the roof. We sheathed over the windows and will go back and cut them out with a reciprocating saw. I still need to get a ridge board up and a roof rafter template built. I'll be going to get the framers square this week along with some other things. Let me know what you think. :)

Old 10-27-2009, 01:34 AM   #1539
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Looking good so far. As for cutting out the windows with that saw, I have another way if you have a Router and are not worried about re-using the wood from the cut sections. Plunge the router into the wood where the opening is located and then pull it to the frame. Now follow the frame around and the piece will fall out. Di it from the outside obviously This is how we did it when I was builing "camps" for the oilfields

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell57
Made some more progress this week. Check out the pictures.

A couple people offered to come over and help Saturday. It ended up being a blessing in disguise. They helped finish up the forth wall (w/ windows) while I went to go help mom with car problems an hour and a half out of town. By the time I got back, they had finished the wall and started measuring for the lower roof rafter. On sunday my father in law came over again around 10am and we started on sheathing and finish all we could on the roof. We sheathed over the windows and will go back and cut them out with a reciprocating saw. I still need to get a ridge board up and a roof rafter template built. I'll be going to get the framers square this week along with some other things. Let me know what you think. :)

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:12 AM   #1540
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf
Looking good so far. As for cutting out the windows with that saw, I have another way if you have a Router and are not worried about re-using the wood from the cut sections. Plunge the router into the wood where the opening is located and then pull it to the frame. Now follow the frame around and the piece will fall out. Di it from the outside obviously This is how we did it when I was builing "camps" for the oilfields
That's a pretty good idea that I had not thought about. Plus, I could probably make more use out of a router then a reciprocating saw in the long run. Hrm..... interesting!

Thanks for the suggestion, I might pick up a router.. lol

Old 10-27-2009, 04:13 AM   #1541
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell57
That's a pretty good idea that I had not thought about. Plus, I could probably make more use out of a router then a reciprocating saw in the long run. Hrm..... interesting!

Thanks for the suggestion, I might pick up a router.. lol
Looks good! If you dont have a router or sawzall and dont want to invest in a new tool right now you can drill four holes at the window corners from the inside and conect them with a pencil on the outside. Then you should be able to cut out the windows with a circular saw, Which you already have I'ld think.

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:04 AM   #1542
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
Looks good! If you dont have a router or sawzall and dont want to invest in a new tool right now you can drill four holes at the window corners from the inside and conect them with a pencil on the outside. Then you should be able to cut out the windows with a circular saw, Which you already have I'ld think.
That's another good idea. That reminds me of a funny story about circular saws. I had one that my dad gave me. He's had it ever since I can remember and we used to build skate board ramps with it when I was a kid. Not really thinking of how old it was, I decided it was in good enough shape to use on this job. By night number 2, about 4 hrs total into the project, it dies. I'm guessing the brushes gave up or something. The blade was wobbly and all. Father in law brings his over to use on the weekend. We get about 4 hours of use and his does the same exact thing. Dead. His was about 10 years old. We just put a new blade on it as well. What's the last wood cutting tool I have that's not a compound miter saw? A little 25 dollar jig saw. We cut wood for about 2 hrs w/ that saw. The wife mysteriously disappeared with nothing more then an "I'm leaving!" I'm thinking, "Great, what'd I do this time?" I threw worry to the side and we kept working another hour w/ the little jig saw to cut up the OSB. It was horrendous and the cuts looked as even as sand dunes in the sahara. My father and I treked on despite and managed to do pretty good. We got to the last sheet of OSB and wife pulls up. I didn't really hear here since I had ear plugs in. Next thing I hear is, "SAW!!" I look and she's got a new Dewalt contractor grade circular saw. "Waaaaaaa?!" ..... THen for the next 10 minutes I was feeling like this guy -> The last piece of OSB took about 1/16th the time ot cut then the jig saw and the cut was straight as an arrow. I love that woman.

Short story, I"m looking forward to using my new circular saw, and you've given me a good reason to do that. Although, I want to get a router (probably later since this suggestion) to do the cabinets and furniture for inside.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:13 AM   #1543
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
So which is it, is she that amazing, or was she tired of hearing her husband and her father whining about shoddy tools?

In all seriousness, I hope she got a good dinner out of that, at the very least!

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:03 AM   #1544
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgates
So which is it, is she that amazing, or was she tired of hearing her husband and her father whining about shoddy tools?

In all seriousness, I hope she got a good dinner out of that, at the very least!
She said, and I kid not, "I felt sorry for you all trying to cut that wood with a skill saw. I couldn't watch anymore."

She will be getting dinner the place of her choice this weekend with no cap. Hopefully that will help. :) Probably sushi, which would be nice.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #1545
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,964
......Awesome wifey! BTW, if you go the way I suggested, set the blade depth just a hair deeper than the OSB and favor the outside of the line. This might keep you from winding up with a "lip" here and there or taking slices off the window framing. Good luck

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote