Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2009, 04:42 AM   #1561
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell57
Nice lift! Nice start to a bike. What type is it? Doesn't appear to be the typical DRz or KLR.
it's a mini motard. not enough there for me to guess which one.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:47 AM   #1562
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
When I did my shop I ran 1/2" black pipe all over the place for air. I'm not sure I would want anything else that was going to be sheetrocked over and inaccessible. It was alot of work though. If I would have used plastic I would want it surface mounted.
i think I'd rather run it like a PEX water system with a manifold at or near the compressor and an individual line going to each outlet.

It would take more hose, but if one ever ruptured, you could just turn off the valve to that run.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #1563
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
I questioned the tubing as well, thinking it was like PTFE for something. This stuff has a thicker wall and is "semi" rigid. The connectors are like shark bite water fittings, just press them together. When I say it's been worry free, it's been worry free like I'll never use it at home; holding 120 PSI 24/7 since I put it in, not burst lines, or crapped fittings.

Besides, if it did break behind a wall, just cut out a chunk sheet rock and splice in a new piece. If it terrifies you that much you could just run it along the wall cieling junction with drops and it's out of the way

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #1564
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
Well, I worked both saturday and sunday as much as I could. On both days, when I woke up, it was raining lightly. It was enough to not feel safe walking across the wood 8 ft up, so I stuck to easy stuff. On saturday I spent most the day cutting the common trusts and supporting the ridge board. I then spent some time figuring out the safest way to mount up the common rafters with out giving me or my wife a heart attack.
The lower rafters are all 2x6's and stabled up the building pretty darn well. I went in and layed another 2x6 perpendicular to the lower rafters to stiffen them up a bit. It worked well. I also put in the hurricane clips to help with rigidity. Boy did it i make a night or day difference. I was very happy with the result after only working for 4 hours on saturday. We had a holloween party to make it too, so i couldn't stay out there to late. I didn't get any pictures on saturdays work due to rushing to put everything up and get ready for the Holloween party.
On Sunday I finally gave up and decided to get a reciprocating saw. I scored one from Harbor Frieght for 25 dollars. It works great by the way. ;) Eric came over around noon and help with the shed today. It's amazing how fast things go when someone is over to help out. We knocked out the common rafters and added some extra support to the front and rear faces of the wall. After all the common rafters were up, we went through and trimmed all the 2x6's to slope w/ the roof. Previously they were sticking out since I was running 2x4 for the common's, and 2x6's for the lowers. Pictures...

Here is the progress we started making through the day. Apparently I had a really bad itch... lol

Finished for sunday. OSB goes on tomorrow.

Here is another view. You can see how the windows and door will fit in. Hopefully those will be in by the weekend. If not, I will get them in this weekend. I'll be putting them on as soon as the OSB is on and tar papered.

Here is little man clean out his pumpkin before we get to carving it. He appears to not be a fan of the guts. lol
All in all, it's coming along well. I hate all the rain we've been having, but it'll work out. Hopefully we'll get the roof done this week like we are planning. If not, well, we will get it on this weekend. I know it looks like i'm taking forever, but this is my first time ever constructing anything of this sort. There is tons of learning and problem solving going on. Also, I passed on the gable ends. They were to much of a challenge for my mind right now. Catch you all later with the next update. :)

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #1565
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Oddometer: 854
Man Castle

KTM 990 Adventure Honda CRF450 Supermoto H-D Sportster Streettracker Honda XR650L
GSMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #1566
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
[quote=GSMark]

/quote]

Oh I sooooo love that XR 750 Replica your building there...awesome, just awesome.

I had a 2003 XL883R (XR tribute bike) at one time but sold it, been kickin myself ever since...it had XR stainless SuperTrapps on it too.

Im building an old 77 Iron Head Sporty into a steet tracker right now.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #1567
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenthdfan

Oh I sooooo love that XR 750 Replica your building there...awesome, just awesome.

I had a 2003 XL883R (XR tribute bike) at one time but sold it, been kickin myself ever since...it had XR stainless SuperTrapps on it too.

Im building an old 77 Iron Head Sporty into a steet tracker right now.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks V,
Will do. This is a very slow project.
How about a photo of your 77 Iron Head project? (in your Man Castle, so we don't get off topic )
KTM 990 Adventure Honda CRF450 Supermoto H-D Sportster Streettracker Honda XR650L
Old 11-02-2009, 03:02 AM   #1568
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:
Well, I worked both saturday and sunday as much as I could. On both days, when I woke up, it was raining lightly. It was enough to not feel safe walking across the wood 8 ft up, so I stuck to easy stuff. On saturday I spent most the day cutting the common trusts and supporting the ridge board. I then spent some time figuring out the safest way to mount up the common rafters with out giving me or my wife a heart attack.
The lower rafters are all 2x6's and stabled up the building pretty darn well. I went in and layed another 2x6 perpendicular to the lower rafters to stiffen them up a bit. It worked well. I also put in the hurricane clips to help with rigidity. Boy did it i make a night or day difference. I was very happy with the result after only working for 4 hours on saturday. We had a holloween party to make it too, so i couldn't stay out there to late. I didn't get any pictures on saturdays work due to rushing to put everything up and get ready for the Holloween party.
On Sunday I finally gave up and decided to get a reciprocating saw. I scored one from Harbor Frieght for 25 dollars. It works great by the way. ;) Eric came over around noon and help with the shed today. It's amazing how fast things go when someone is over to help out. We knocked out the common rafters and added some extra support to the front and rear faces of the wall. After all the common rafters were up, we went through and trimmed all the 2x6's to slope w/ the roof. Previously they were sticking out since I was running 2x4 for the common's, and 2x6's for the lowers. Pictures...

Here is the progress we started making through the day. Apparently I had a really bad itch... lol

Finished for sunday.
looks good. Are you going to have an overhang in front? If you are dont forget to leave your side fascia boards long. Did you not want to have a bit wider soffits on the sides? You still could if you have some short scraps of 2x4 to scab onto the sides of the rafter tails. You could cut the angle before you put them up. do the front and rear and run a string between them to follow with your pieces. Might look nicer with more side overhang. ....Ok , heres where you tell me to mind my own bees wax

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:40 AM   #1569
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Quote:
looks good. Are you going to have an overhang in front? If you are dont forget to leave your side fascia boards long. Did you not want to have a bit wider soffits on the sides? You still could if you have some short scraps of 2x4 to scab onto the sides of the rafter tails. You could cut the angle before you put them up. do the front and rear and run a string between them to follow with your pieces. Might look nicer with more side overhang. ....Ok , heres where you tell me to mind my own bees wax
So many questions! So early in the morning! My brain, it hurts now!

I was going to do a over hang of a foot, but my brain gave up on me. This was my first shot at doing a roof at all, so i was having brain overload as it was. It's a sorry excuse I know, but simple was the key at that point. It ended up working out and I managed to finish framing the roof without killing myself. Wifey considers that a feet in itself. I think i'm going to just have a bit of over hang on the side w/ the big door. Then i'll build a little over hang above the door to keep water from going behind it. The over hange on the sides will be about 6inches out. I was going for 1 ft. This is a first time as well so i'm happy I managed anything. lol Hopefully get some OSB up on the roof this week and tar paper. I'm getting anxoius, but i'm trying to not let that drive me. I don't need to screw up now.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #1570
rick danger
Off the wagon

Quote:
So many questions! So early in the morning! My brain, it hurts now!
Yeah, I was up at 5am. Ribs were killin me. I have so much work to do here and its killin me to have to wait for my busted ribs to heal. So I figured I'd do some "E-Carpentry" on your project .....Seriously though, If you want to do an overhang on the gable ends and you didnt put the OSB on it yet, it wont be to hard at this point. Just run the 2x6 side fascia boards 12" longer than the building on each end (or just the front if you dont want a back overhang) Then nail the ends of 12" pieces of 2x4 to the gable end rafters. Called " lookouts"(so they are perpendicular 90 degrees to the gable end rafters. Every 24". Then a 2x4 to the edges of those, so you get what amounts to an additional rafter 12" out from the building. When you put the OSB on the roof that holds it all and gives it strength. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...1952&showall=1 http://www.rd.com/images/tfhimport/2...mg019-img2.jpg

Old 11-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #1571
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Rick, hope the Ribs heal up quick. I've cracked a couple before and it was no joke. Bad part was, I slept on that side. Had to switch up the whole routine just to sleep a couple hours here and there.

I'll give another look at the overhang and see if I can pull off a 12". I know I'll have to extend the ridge board, 3 support joints per side, and cut 2 more rafters. Good news is I remember the angle I cut those rafters at. I can't spell worth crap, but I remember the most rediculous stuff. I'll give it a go.

Another note, I notice in the pics you have links too, the person building put up a trim board along the wall where the facia board would meet up w/ the wall. What's the purpose of that? Also, I noticed they put the trim board that connected all the rafters together about a 1/4 inch lower then the rafter rather then flush. Any particular reason? Just curious. I'm about to get started on that part next.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #1572
rick danger
Off the wagon

Quote:
Rick, hope the Ribs heal up quick. I've cracked a couple before and it was no joke. Bad part was, I slept on that side. Had to switch up the whole routine just to sleep a couple hours here and there.

I'll give another look at the overhang and see if I can pull off a 12". I know I'll have to extend the ridge board, 3 support joints per side, and cut 2 more rafters. Good news is I remember the angle I cut those rafters at. I can't spell worth crap, but I remember the most rediculous stuff. I'll give it a go.

Another note, I notice in the pics you have links too, the person building put up a trim board along the wall where the facia board would meet up w/ the wall. What's the purpose of that? Also, I noticed they put the trim board that connected all the rafters together about a 1/4 inch lower then the rafter rather then flush. Any particular reason? Just curious. I'm about to get started on that part next.
You leave the fascia (trim board) like that so you dont have to rip the roof angle down the top of it. If you lay a straight edge down the rafter, you put the fascia so the straight edge hits the outside corner of the fascia. The roof sheathing/OSB will only contact the outside corner of the fascia. Which is fine. What you can do if you like is tack a scrap on top of a couple of rafters sicking out over where the fascia will be, for a guide. Overhanging at least 1 1/2" like the sheathing will be........You put a board alond the wall the same hieght (level) with the bottom of the fascia. Thats what you nail the soffit material to. If you use vinyl (probably your best bet for price and easy to cut) You put a "J" molding against it. http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1360/...79df25da8d.jpg

Old 11-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #1573
rick danger
Off the wagon

Another pic. BTW what are you putting for sideing? Vinyl is easy to do. http://www.renovation-headquarters.c...annel%20cr.jpg

Old 11-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #1574
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave
GSMark, THAT'S a garage to be proud of . Very nice! No shortage of bling either. Love the motard !!!
Thanks Dave,
It only took me 52 years to get the garage that I've always wanted. This is my first garage. Could use an extra 5 feet each way though. Not pictured is a drillpress, belt sander and band saw.

Mark
Old 11-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #1575
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Quote:
You leave the fascia (trim board) like that so you dont have to rip the roof angle down the top of it. If you lay a straight edge down the rafter, you put the fascia so the straight edge hits the outside corner of the fascia. The roof sheathing/OSB will only contact the outside corner of the fascia. Which is fine. What you can do if you like is tack a scrap on top of a couple of rafters sicking out over where the fascia will be, for a guide. Overhanging at least 1 1/2" like the sheathing will be........You put a board alond the wall the same hieght (level) with the bottom of the fascia. Thats what you nail the soffit material to. If you use vinyl (probably your best bet for price and easy to cut) You put a "J" molding against it. http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1360/...79df25da8d.jpg
Rick, you are the man! I appreciate the pictures and information. It's starting to make more and more sense. Hopefully I'll be getting started on it tonight and get some progress in. Also, scored a hammer stapler. That is a fun tool. So much the 9 yr old was out there stapling the heck out of some 2x4 scrap. Maybe I can get him to tar paper the roof.... Ok, maybe not. lol