Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #1681
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Can you post some close ups of the doors??? My garage door is insulated, but I have thought about doing something similar to help keep the heat in. The Filly is planning on making me "blankets" that will attach with velcro to cover the ends and help keep some of the heat from escaping at the ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal
They were plain uninsulated doors, and I bought that styrofoam stuff with the silver foil type coating, cut to size and glued them in. Made a big difference and doesn't look all that bad.

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #1682
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
I've been working on the shed quite a bit lately. This weekend I got it tar papered up and the second layer of flooring in. All that is left for the exterior is trim board and siding. I'm still wondering what type of siding I should use. I was thinking cement board but the wife is getting irritated with the shed being nicer then the house. She came out there and threw a mini hissy about how her house look like crap, and the shed will make it look even more like crap. So, heck man. I may go a different way. I was thinking corrugated metal and go with the old school look. Anyhow, on to pictures...
Here's the shed one night this week. I thought it looked neat w/ the lights on.

Last weekend I worked to close up the majority of all the open cracks. This will help for when I put the siding on. What ever type I decide to use. This weekend I put in the second layering of floor. I originally put down 3/4" ply wood. It worked very well but didn't feel awesome enough. So by suggestions of friends and forum members, I added another 3/4" OSB tongue and groove. I spent a lot of time to get this right, and I think it was worth it. It looks 300 times better and feels much better. I almost feel confident on pulling the bike in. Oh, right, pictures... :)

I'm really starting to see the rewards of doing things right and taking my time rather then rushing to see and end product. Also this weekend, I put 95% of the tar paper on and trimmed the shingles on the roof.

I ran out of tar paper and couldn't get the front or rear gables done. Anyone have about 24 ft of tar paper they don't need? I'd hate to go buy a whole other role just to cover those 2 sections. Eh, either way it still looks good. Next on the list is to finish up the trim work. I need to trim out the 4 corners and the 2 gables. Then I'll be working on siding and under pinning. Anyhow, looks great if you ask me. :)

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #1683
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,410
Siding

Want to really mess with the wife? Go find an old, real old metal building and get some of the siding. You know the real nice 'n rusty stuff. That might make her give you a break before she demands that the house get's a make-over...

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #1684
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell57
Wowzers... That's some nice stuff. I need to come drink a couple beers with you.
That would be great. There's always some in the fridge. If you're ever up this way, the door is open. I spend a lot of time in the garage.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #1685
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger
Nope, '65 Ply 2dr post Hemi.
I used to have a '65 Plymouth Valiant Barracuda (first year for the 'Cuda, thus the "Valiant" preface). Loved that car, I replaced the stock 273 with a 318 with 360 heads on it. It used to go like stink but was a nightmare to get stopped (single Master Cylinder with drum brakes on all four corners).
Old 11-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #1686
zenben
all roads are one

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal
They were plain uninsulated doors, and I bought that styrofoam stuff with the silver foil type coating, cut to size and glued them in. Made a big difference and doesn't look all that bad.
I'm interested in more detail as well. I've been planning to insulate my doors with the same material.
It looks like you attached the hinges on top of the insulation.
zenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #1687
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,024
Workshop in progress.

Here's my developing motorcycle shop/garage.

The long view:

Closer up showing the chicken wire lattice that holds the stucco (stucco is on now but awaits the color coat). I had my builder add the fake vigas (logs sticking out of the exterior wall) to match my old adobe house.

The garage door is 16' X 8' and the mandoor is 4' X 7'. I find I like the proportions. The garage door is insulated to R-17, so it is more insulated than my walls.

I have found from some experts that stucco is not a very good exterior for a shop because the vibrations from an air compressor and vigorous pounding on the work benches can crack and loosen the stucco. I might place rubber bumpers between my work benches and the walls.

Here is a view of the transverse hoist beam and one of the skylights.

I placed electrical outlets on three separate circuits every 24 inches on the wall over my workbenches. (One bench will be for dirty work such as engine rebuilds and the like; the bench on the opposite wall will be for cleaner work and detail work.)

Here is what the shop is trying to mimic--an old solid mud (adobe) home built in the old mexican style. We are working on many parts of the property so that is why it looks such a mess.

Thank you all for ideas. I am incorporating quite a few elements of other man castles from this thread into my 26' X 30' shop.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #1688
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,435
Must be quite a change from your digs in Mass, Cordell. Looks great! Keep us posted on the progress.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #1689
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,024
Yep, Mike, now I won't be bumping my head unless I really try. I still have scars from hitting my head on the garage door braces in that crowded garage in Mass. Just no fun being 6' 6" tall in a world made for short people. The new ceilings are at 9' 8".

Thanks for noticing. Come down and visit.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #1690
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,133
What I did that I really would recommend:

Increased size from 20' deep to 24' deep. Whoever recommended that to me, thank you SO MUCH. 26' would have been even better.
Outdoor area under overhang with 4' door and outdoor electrical and water (and air hookup, coming soon). Have dusty/dirty work to do? Roll it outside on a table and do it out there (area in bottom right in pic below).

Garage doors (insulated!) have large-radius bend to get them closer to ceiling. With a 9' ceiling, you want to maximize your headroom.

Separated workshop area from 'garage' area by a 7'x7' doorway. If I ever set up a wood shop in that area, I can keep the garage area clean by setting up a clear plastic curtain.

Spray foam for insulation
50A 220V outlets
Steel door frame reinforcements
Spec-grade outlets everywhere
4" 4000psi slab with rebar (not WWF)
I-joist construction (no "support pole" in the middle of the garage)
Apron extends past the deep overhang
4" PVC carries downspout water far away from the structure
Lots of light (T8s are efficient and throw a lot of lumens)
Outlets everywhere, including in the ceiling
TV cabling in the walls
Hot water (need it for the shower/bath upstairs)
HVAC
Epoxy floor with anti-skid in the urethane topcoat (awesome)
No floor drains (I just don't see the need, it's not a place for "daily driver" storage)
Tint on all glass (windows and doors)
A nice upstairs so that visitors have their own space

What I wish I had done:

Biggie: made the "garage" area just a little bit wider. I have steel cabinets and shelving on either side of the doors; it would be great if they were "tucked in" a little bit more so that they could easily be opened if a car pulls into the garage.

Insulated the slab. Even here in VA, that slab gets cold -- not enough to sweat in the spring, but cold nonetheless.

Motion sensor on ALL exterior lights. (easily fixed)

Plumbed for air inside the walls; poured a small slab out back for a compressor.

Plumbed for mixing hot/cold water outside ... that cold water is COLD!

Better thought-out locations for switches etc. so as not to interfere with shelving etc. Think carefully about this stuff.

Lean-to out back for a tractor.

I think that's everything ...

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #1691
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain
Ummmm.....that bike looks familiar...

Do I see you riding through Bayers Lake on occasion?
Yep, that'd be me.
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #1692
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Awesome castles keep coming up. Talk about motivation...

Old 11-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #1693
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
Want to really mess with the wife? Go find an old, real old metal building and get some of the siding. You know the real nice 'n rusty stuff. That might make her give you a break before she demands that the house get's a make-over...
I've put that past her as a suggestion after the tizzy. She got really quite. So, I just took advantage of the silence and went outside. i'm sure once I start on siding, she won't care as long as it's done. She just like to have a say ever so often.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #1694
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger
That would be great. There's always some in the fridge. If you're ever up this way, the door is open. I spend a lot of time in the garage.
I'll be up in Masland, Ohio first week of the year. i'll be up there for a week. I'm interested to see this snow everyone talks about. I've only seen up to 6 inches here.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #1695
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless
Here's my developing motorcycle shop/garage.

The long view:

Closer up showing the chicken wire lattice that holds the stucco (stucco is on now but awaits the color coat). I had my builder add the fake vigas (logs sticking out of the exterior wall) to match my old adobe house.

The garage door is 16' X 8' and the mandoor is 4' X 7'. I find I like the proportions. The garage door is insulated to R-17, so it is more insulated than my walls.

I have found from some experts that stucco is not a very good exterior for a shop because the vibrations from an air compressor and vigorous pounding on the work benches can crack and loosen the stucco. I might place rubber bumpers between my work benches and the walls.

Here is a view of the transverse hoist beam and one of the skylights.

I placed electrical outlets on three separate circuits every 24 inches on the wall over my workbenches. (One bench will be for dirty work such as engine rebuilds and the like; the bench on the opposite wall will be for cleaner work and detail work.)

Here is what the shop is trying to mimic--an old solid mud (adobe) home built in the old mexican style. We are working on many parts of the property so that is why it looks such a mess.

Thank you all for ideas. I am incorporating quite a few elements of other man castles from this thread into my 26' X 30' shop.
Spruce Park area? Or somewhere in the Valley? Lots of potential there. s:

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote