Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #1696
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 526
Currently the house for sale with its tiny 2 car garage with way too much crap in it. I've got the wife talked into a metal building possibly 5k sq.ft. with a house on one half and shop/play area on the other. So 2500 for house and 2500 shop including a basketball goal inside. Anyone already done something like this and got some feedback or having pics of something like this. Like Randy Hawkins place kinda LINK. Sounds like the ideal set-up and I have read a couple of posts in this thread of others thinking about doing it, but never seen any completed.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #1697
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenben
I'm interested in more detail as well. I've been planning to insulate my doors with the same material.
It looks like you attached the hinges on top of the insulation.
I bought 4x8 sheets of this stuff at the building center

And measured & cut, just a straight edge and utility knife. The door panels have a bit of a lip on all 4 sides to slide up into. Since this is pretty rigid stuff, you have to compromise on how much you can get into the lip overhangs. I cut them so you could slide them up as far into the upper lip as possible, then just clear the lower lip pushing the piece in, then letting it drop down which still covered at the top. I used construction adhesive I think, maybe it was silicone, to help hold them in. Expanding foam window sealer stuff works well on the outside edges if you have bigger gaps there, but can look crappy if you don't get it in just right.

A sheet of this stuff at about 1.25" thickness is pretty light, but once you get the whole door done you've added some pretty good weight. I turned up the springs on my door tensioner some to compensate. Just this made a tremendous difference in the garage for temperature and sound deadening.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #1698
zenben
all roads are one

Oddometer: 596
Yes, thanks ShadyRascal.
Our doors are already foam filled to a R9? rating. Would be nice if closer the R19 throughout the shop. The noise attenuation you mentioned is a big issue.
My metal shop doors face the houses of two bitchy neighbor ladies.

Appreciate the write up.
zenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:05 AM   #1699
PackRat
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm
Currently the house for sale with its tiny 2 car garage with way too much crap in it. I've got the wife talked into a metal building possibly 5k sq.ft. with a house on one half and shop/play area on the other. So 2500 for house and 2500 shop including a basketball goal inside. Anyone already done something like this and got some feedback or having pics of something like this. Like Randy Hawkins place kinda LINK. Sounds like the ideal set-up and I have read a couple of posts in this thread of others thinking about doing it, but never seen any completed.
You might check out some of the aircraft hanger homes. We almost got one and had considered putting the home on a mezanine above the shop area.

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #1700
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless
Yep, Mike, now I won't be bumping my head unless I really try. I still have scars from hitting my head on the garage door braces in that crowded garage in Mass. Just no fun being 6' 6" tall in a world made for short people. The new ceilings are at 9' 8".

Thanks for noticing. Come down and visit.
What's it like in February?

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #1701
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
What's it like in February?

Warm (in the shop). We are at 5280 ft. elevation so it does get brisk here, but there's very little snow and it's sunny nearly all the time. When there's problems on the roads to the north we travel south and ride southern NM and Tucson and into Old Mexico. Genuine year round riding.
Cordless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #1702
ThereisnoSpoon
High Enough

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
Keep telling yourself that.

That's gonna be a nice sized garage/shop. Looks like some high ceilings. Insulating it?
It will be insulated to hold in the heat from the radiant heat in the floor. Probably will use that blown in newspaper stuff. If anyone has any other suggestions on the insulation I'm

24 x 36, 9' ceiling downstairs with a bar/opium den upstairs.

This showed up today

ThereisnoSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #1703
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereisnoSpoon
It will be insulated to hold in the heat from the radiant heat in the floor. Probably will use that blown in newspaper stuff. If anyone has any other suggestions on the insulation I'm
It seems that the big emphasis these days is in making the structure as airtight as possible (witness the rise in the importance of a blower-door test). To that end I don't know a better product for insulating than sprayed-in foam.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #1704
motodavid2000
MotoDavid

Oddometer: 228
Laugh Radiant Floor Heating

Quote:
I also use radiant floor heating in a northern climate. It is easy to regulate, and obviously very clean.

Just make sure that you properly fill the system with anti-freeze (non the automotive type) in case the heater fails and you don't freeze the line(s) embedded in the concrete floor, pressurize the system correctly with a self-venting manifold system to bleed off any air bubbles and pre-heat BEFORE it gets cold outside. You will be very happy with its performance if properly sized and installed. Good luck.

Dave

DR650 Adventure Bike Build: Click Here
motodavid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:14 AM   #1705
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210
It seems that the big emphasis these days is in making the structure as airtight as possible (witness the rise in the importance of a blower-door test). To that end I don't know a better product for insulating than sprayed-in foam.
I considered that. I liked the fact that it also adds some structural rigidity. But it was to pricey for my budget.

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:19 AM   #1706
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:

This showed up today

Nice. Will the beam be exposed so you can get a trolly for it? Would be cool to have two beams with trollies and a cross beam with another trolly and hoist. Move heavy loads anywhere in the shop. Thats something I was thinking about doing, but the shape of my building makes it tough to do.

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:36 AM   #1707
Laconic
Añejo

Oddometer: 16,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
I considered that. I liked the fact that it also adds some structural rigidity. But it was to pricey for my budget.
I don't know how it would work in New York, but our new place will have 2" of spray foam in the living areas and 1" in the garage (2" gives an R-21 equivalent when the airtightness is factored in). My point being if you don't have to fill the walls completely with spray foam it might fit the budget. Cellulose is the best way to go in the ceiling, low installation costs and very effective. In any case, sealing the air leaks gives you big gains, regardless of the insulation you use.
Laconic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:13 AM   #1708
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
Nice. Will the beam be exposed so you can get a trolly for it? Would be cool to have two beams with trollies and a cross beam with another trolly and hoist. Move heavy loads anywhere in the shop. Thats something I was thinking about doing, but the shape of my building makes it tough to do.
I will be installing a trolley on my transverse beam. I have a unistrut with a powerstrut trolley--are there any better options out there?
Cordless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:48 AM   #1709
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,856
[QUOTE=ThereisnoSpoon]

/QUOTE]

You never see opium dens in garages anymore, I thought thought they had gone out of style.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:52 AM   #1710
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:

This showed up today

Very nice setup there. Are those 4x4's the only thing holding up the I beam? I would guess it would need more.

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote