Old 12-20-2009, 06:48 AM   #1861
propforward
Nice Chap

Oddometer: 11,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog
propforward notice how the "old" manual got demoted from the top shelf
Gary
Hahaha! Those old manuals may get demoted.....but they often provide excellent fundamental backup.

Here's my other lathe, even though I feel wimpy and inadequate posting it now.....

But it does the job. Plus you can't argue at the price....I got given it, brand new.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #1862
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 903
propforward,
Not so, there is always a place for a manual lathe in any shop. Back before I got into the machine steroids, I bought several pieces from Grizzly. Unless things have changed they put out a very good product. Some of the stuff that you can buy from Harbor Freight (that has a electric cord) is no match to Grizzly. I still have a 6 inch belt sander that I must have at least 5,000 recoil pads ground on it.
I had a guy ask me about the same (I think) lathe that you have. How do you like it so far?

Back to the Castle part of this thread. I made a road trip to Home Depot, Lowes. and Southerlands for a material run yesterday.
My thoughts are to ring the entire new addition with 24" high cabinets..starting at the 8ft level.
Southerlands had the cheapest unfinished ones of the three. For 24 high and 30 wide they are $118. I was hoping for less but I dang sure cant make them for that...as if I had the time...
I will keep looking for options as I just don't want to fill the floor with more shelving units..ok I did buy 2 more of those
Gary
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is - the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Winston Churchill
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #1863
propforward
Nice Chap

Oddometer: 11,696
Quote:
How do you like it so far?
Very much indeed! It is a basic belt drive back gear lathe - but because the headstock is a little more basic (change the belt to change speeds etc) it means that you get a lot of features for your money. This one has automatic cross feed as well as the normal feeds, and an excellent range of speeds, forward and reverse on the motor, metric and standard threading gears. I am pretty impressed with the overall quality of the machine. With the back gear it can drive slowly enough to work large diameter steel, and it also has a removable gap on the bed. In real terms way more capability than I really need for most of my projects - but my view is that on these kinds of tools (tools in general) you are better off going for something more capable than you need, as they generally last longer. Came with a pretty good tool set too. Faceplates, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, steadies and live and dead centers. It came with a solid base, but it was too low for me, so I made the wooden frame you can see there. In any case my workshop floor is all broken up, so I had to make a base in order to get the lathe level.

I tried to find a used American made machine, but they hold thier value, and really rough ones are as expensive as the new Grizzlies. Then the opportunity came up where I got given this, for various reasons I won't go into. So it worked out, and having it around has been brilliant.

As you know - you do without, and then when you get one you wonder how you managed. Or else you just do stuff you wouldn't normally have done.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #1864
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,419
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:04 AM   #1865
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Lots of great pictures in a great thread!
Had to add another mill this year, and just didn't have the room with all of the bikes parked everywhere.

So did a expansion on the end of the building. Not even close to done but at least I can shut the doors. Got the floor painted under the machine but still have the rest of the floor to finish. Note on the floor paint..I am using Sherwin Williams Tile Clad epoxy. Which will dry on its own..but I have a fairly thick pad at 18 inches with the in floor heat. You have to hustle when rolling it on and the concrete is 82 degrees..

Still have the walls to finish..but not completely sure what I want there yet. Going to do a bunch of overhead cabinets at the 10ft level to try and keep some floor space open. It is amazing how fast it disappears

Here is a shot of my fleet crammed over in the corner. And a shot of the new Horizontal.
Need to get the floor finished so I can get a few more of the larger pieces skated in.
A lot of work...and still more to go... but hopefully it will pay dividends in the coming year. Now what the hell am I going to finish those walls with...
Gary

-
Hey Gas Hog, If you don't mind my asking what kind of work do you do? I notice in a later post you mentioned lots of recoil pads, firearms industry? Just curious, if its none of my business just say so. No offense. I lived in Co. in the 80's and worked in a machine shop in Broomfield. I miss that work, and Colorado too.
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:58 AM   #1866
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

257bob,
That looks a lot like my project not all that long ago..except you have a lot of interior walls going on. So what is the plan

crawdad,
Yes much work in the bang bang world. Just parts now..mostly motorcycle the rest automotive.

So in my latest trip to the big city I got a few items at the Harbor Freight. I ended up with some of the smaller plastic stackable trays. I got them outlast night and got a start on my bolt bin project. The come with rails to hang them on the wall but I am stacking them on some rivet rack I got the same day. These are real decent little trays if anyone is looking for some. Next trip down I am going to load up, they come 20 to a box.
Gary
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is - the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Winston Churchill
Old 12-21-2009, 06:15 AM   #1867
Laconic
Gaulded

Quote:
257bob,
That looks a lot like my project not all that long ago..except you have a lot of interior walls going on. So what is the plan
Nothing as elaborate as yours....

1145 sq.ft. energy star home with 22' x 34' attached garage. Not as big as I would have liked, but bigger than I've ever had.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:04 AM   #1868
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,788
GasHog -- I'm a little a concerned that your machine seems to be sitting in a giant pool of water...what the hell is that all about?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #1869
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Quote:
Nothing as elaborate as yours....
Not at all, this extension is just 4 walls..with a big money pit on the floor...
I did get a few of the things I wanted done, but not without a lot of "do it my way or else" speeches.
No one could understand why I wanted the pad so thick..or why I was putting insulation under the pad...or "what do you think that little plastic pipe in the pour is going to do?"
If I was doing a job as complex as yours there would be bodies everywhere.

DevilNinjaDog,
Yes that is a concern I think my in floor water heat may be leaking...

Or I just mopped the floor...one of the two
Gary
Old 12-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #1870
Laconic
Gaulded

Quote:
Not at all, this extension is just 4 walls..with a big money pit on the floor...
I did get a few of the things I wanted done, but not without a lot of "do it my way or else" speeches.
No one could understand why I wanted the pad so thick..or why I was putting insulation under the pad...or "what do you think that little plastic pipe in the pour is going to do?"
If I was doing a job as complex as yours there would be bodies everywhere.

DevilNinjaDog,
Yes that is a concern I think my in floor water heat may be leaking...

Or I just mopped the floor...one of the two
Gary
Well, we're paying someone to do the build for us; contracting a house would interfere with my day job. (Although I am thinking about flying Pecos Bill in to do the heated slate floor on the sunporch. )

I considered slab on grade, in-floor heat but there was a little too much slope for the slab. Also, we are where a/c is a must, so I would have had 2 systems to install. My brother has used the in-floor heat up in Maine; there is absolutely nothing like it.

Laconic screwed with this post 12-22-2009 at 04:45 AM
Old 12-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #1871
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
garage
All those tools and equipment and you haven't made a paper towel holder!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #1872
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
His inner artist comes out when arranging the paper towels, why would he organize them!

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #1873
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,927
Now you know I have to weld one up out of solid 1 1/2" round and some 6"x6"x 3/4" angle.

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #1874
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02
All those tools and equipment and you haven't made a paper towel holder!

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #1875
Wreckluse
Will work for beer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
Now you know I have to weld one up out of solid 1 1/2" round and some 6"x6"x 3/4" angle.

Make sure you use stainless!
08 DRZ 400 SM Adventure
12 GasGas 250 Pro
Wreckluse is offline   Reply With Quote