Old 03-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #2176
peterockwell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
wow

Really like photo with booze and fidge + the one with old safe ,kudos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Peck
The shop is 36' x 36' x 10' eave 12' x 36' is partitioned off and conditioned.

The gear and gun section.

The bar

The tools

The workbench

The mill

The lathe

The B-24 model collection

The bone pile

The beemers

More cycles

The boring bar and bead blast cabinet

The brake, press, band saw

The welders TIG and wire and stick

The belt sander, torch set

The parts dept.

The air compressor

The lift

The place is always a mess. Right now I'm getting my Triumph flat tracker ready for the Legend of the Motorcycle show in Half Moon Bay. This shop is a lifetime of collecting and messing around with motorcycles.
peterockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #2177
Newfie Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
My home away from home

It is a 12X16 barn with second floor storage.

Behind the hanging gear is the drop down ladder for upstairs access

Had my father construct this from my design... think about a hitch on your truck...

I have a few tools premounted, that I can swap out at any time...saves room on the work bench
Newfie Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #2178
LostMan
Fükengrüven

Oddometer: 252
Hoist pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
He uses an electric hoist to raise his motorcycles up to work on them. I used this shop and the hoist was a great feature.

Got any pictures of the hoist lifting setup??

Some guys put I-beams across the rafters ... is that what he did?

Can you describe the attachments to the bike he uses?

The type of winch?

Thx!

There are two rules for success:
1. Never tell everything you know.
LostMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #2179
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMan
Got any pictures of the hoist lifting setup??

Some guys put I-beams across the rafters ... is that what he did?

Can you describe the attachments to the bike he uses?

The type of winch?

Thx!

Here's a pic of the bike hanging from the lift. He just used straps with hooks attached to the handle bars and the rear rack supports. I was planning on getting a engine hoist equalizer because it allows you to change the balance of the bike in the air.

Note, his shop is a metal building. I seem to remember he had the hoist on a beam that allowed the hoist and load to be moved down the track, like a gantry crane.

here's another shot and he is also using the engine hoist to balance the bike.

Like I said when he told me how he does this I thought it sounded like it would be difficult to do. But it really worked well. If you needed it a little higher, raise it. If you want to sit down to work on it, lower it some. It really is a good setup if you have the ceiling height for it. My current ceiling is high enough in my garage for me to do this, but I just need to engineer the mounting point in the garage. I'd like to tie this to several joists in the ceiling.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #2180
LostMan
Fükengrüven

Oddometer: 252
Great idea ...

Thanks for the pics.

I see he's using a cable winch of some sort with a hand controller. I like the equalizer idea too.

The tie-down loops to the frame look sufficient and he uses several as backups. (It looks like the concept would handle a 12GS by using double attach points.)

You could stand up to do an oil & filter change.

Hmmm ...

There are two rules for success:
1. Never tell everything you know.
LostMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:08 AM   #2181
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Rider
Had my father construct this from my design... think about a hitch on your truck...
I have a few tools premounted, that I can swap out at any time...saves room on the work bench
That is freakin' awesome!!
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #2182
Chubber
I am the Brewmaster.

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123
That is freakin' awesome!!
I do something like that myself. My grinder and a second vise and a couple of other items are bolted to hardwood boards that are drilled for the hold-down dogs on my drill press. I can swap them as needed. But I like that 2" fixture. Does it bounce around much when the grinder is spinning?
Chubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #2183
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMan
Thanks for the pics.

I see he's using a cable winch of some sort with a hand controller. I like the equalizer idea too.

The tie-down loops to the frame look sufficient and he uses several as backups. (It looks like the concept would handle a 12GS by using double attach points.)

You could stand up to do an oil & filter change.

Hmmm ...

Yeah, its a electric cable hoist, about a 1 ton model. I didn't catch the brand name. You can get these fairly cheaply from Northern or Harbor Freight. His was fairly high up and the controls were at about 5' off the ground. The ones I've seen for sale have shorter cords for the controls. I have a 14' ceiling in my garage and most controllers cords are 5' long, leaving the controller 9' in the air. Perhaps this guy extended his with some extra wires...
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 03-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #2184
Newfie Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
No it does not bounce around at all. The bolt on the left side is used to tighten in the mount. Works really great, I have a small vice also set up on a base that I use. When not in use, under the counter it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubber
I do something like that myself. My grinder and a second vise and a couple of other items are bolted to hardwood boards that are drilled for the hold-down dogs on my drill press. I can swap them as needed. But I like that 2" fixture. Does it bounce around much when the grinder is spinning?
Newfie Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #2185
g r a n t
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
A garage for my friend

Here is the background:
A friend moved back to the city but the new house did not have a garage. This man needs some sort of work space. He also does not want to do anything "normal".
City by-laws allow for garden shed to be constructed without a building permit as long as it is 9 square meters (97 square feet) in area and less than 3.9 meters (13') in height. Outside those parameters and you have to apply for permit and wait and wait....
Not wanting to wait, pay for a permit and deal with City Hall and potential neighbourhood approval he thought about building a unique garden shed that would really be a mini shop for his bike(s).
That was the design challenge for me.
After several discussions about location, materials, shape, size, function, light, views, storage, workspace etc I narrowed it down to the following concept:

Some of the ideas were:
. flat roof to maximize height.
. green roof
. clerestory window for natural lighting
. wood clad with local cedar

Then, I proposed a large cantilever over a concrete pad. This would allow him to roll the bike out in good weather and effectively double his workspace. The green roof has been modified to a polycarbonate roof. A huge backyard tree will give summer shading.

We got this far before the winter set in:

Here is a photoshop mock-up of the cladding:

Hopefully it will get finished up this month as the weather is getting warmer!

Now, I just have to get out my condo and get my own house with a garage/shop........
Old 03-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #2186
buddha
buried in the sand...

Oddometer: 706
love the modern take on the traditional garden shed.

well done!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #2187
Zagando
BMW uber alles!

Oddometer: 1,014
Oh, yeah---that is Uber-Cool! Two (green) thumbs up for the stealth factor!

ex: '94 K75S "Berlina" '92 R100GSPD
'85 K100RS '73 R75/5 '65 R60/2
Zagando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #2188
Wasser
Spilt my beer

Oddometer: 4,667
That is really cool Grant!!

If my wife had seen that, I am pretty sure I wouldn't have the TuffShed in the back yard or, "fukin ugly barn" as she calls it.

I bet tomatoes & peppers would like the heat of the sun up there.
Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #2189
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g r a n t
Here is the background:
A friend moved back to the city but the new house did not have a garage. This man needs some sort of work space. He also does not want to do anything "normal".
City by-laws allow for garden shed to be constructed without a building permit as long as it is 9 square meters (97 square feet) in area and less than 3.9 meters (13') in height. Outside those parameters and you have to apply for permit and wait and wait....
Not wanting to wait, pay for a permit and deal with City Hall and potential neighbourhood approval he thought about building a unique garden shed that would really be a mini shop for his bike(s).
That was the design challenge for me.
After several discussions about location, materials, shape, size, function, light, views, storage, workspace etc I narrowed it down to the following concept:

Some of the ideas were:
. flat roof to maximize height.
. green roof
. clerestory window for natural lighting
. wood clad with local cedar

Then, I proposed a large cantilever over a concrete pad. This would allow him to roll the bike out in good weather and effectively double his workspace. The green roof has been modified to a polycarbonate roof. A huge backyard tree will give summer shading.

Hopefully it will get finished up this month as the weather is getting warmer!

Now, I just have to get out my condo and get my own house with a garage/shop........
Its cool looking. I'm always leery of green roofs and cantilever roofs like this. First green roofs are neat, but they can be both expensive and weigh a freaking ton. And when they leak (oh, they will eventually - every flat roof does) that moisture goes right into the wood and starts rotting right away for you. Also, here in Texas, you'll never be able to keep the soil the right moisture - it will be to dry in summer for sure.

The cantilever causes me 2 points of concern - all that roof weight is supported by a fewer amount of walls that in a non-cantilevered structure and the up-lift due to high winds. In some places the wind would be a concern.

How long of a wait is there for a building permit? I would have guessed that the current economic slow down would have shortened that wait significantly.

It looks way cool, but it seems to be a lot of work and money for a really small space. Maybe you could have build two garden sheds some 6 meters apart and then at a later date, added a low slope roof between them.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 03-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #2190
g r a n t
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
Its cool looking. I'm always leery of green roofs and cantilever roofs like this. First green roofs are neat, but they can be both expensive and weigh a freaking ton. And when they leak (oh, they will eventually - every flat roof does) that moisture goes right into the wood and starts rotting right away for you. Also, here in Texas, you'll never be able to keep the soil the right moisture - it will be to dry in summer for sure.

The cantilever causes me 2 points of concern - all that roof weight is supported by a fewer amount of walls that in a non-cantilevered structure and the up-lift due to high winds. In some places the wind would be a concern.

How long of a wait is there for a building permit? I would have guessed that the current economic slow down would have shortened that wait significantly.

It looks way cool, but it seems to be a lot of work and money for a really small space. Maybe you could have build two garden sheds some 6 meters apart and then at a later date, added a low slope roof between them.
I was going to give a considered reply to this for the sake of dialogue but realized you are an accountant on a KLR.