Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2010, 06:20 AM   #2281
thomasona
older than he looks

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Greenhorn
I'm loving the Roadmaster, thomasona! How does she tow?
Once I finish uploading some photos, you'll see why I took notice...
No idea how she tows, to be honest. The car has the factory tow package, but I've never used it. Previous owner did, judging by the enormous hitch on the back.

Diggin' the Fleetwood. Congrats on your first house! This new garage is my first garage, which is behind my first house, purchased in late summer.
thomasona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #2282
changingground
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
We bought our first house last August, and this is the attached garage. Just last week, I finally spent some time cleaning out stuff from the move that we'd just been storing in the garage over winter.

-snip- Without further ado:

-snip-

-snip-

I'm trying to decide if I want to put in a small overhead/roll-up door in the wall straight out from the camera's perspective. The thought being that it would allow me to get bikes in and out without needing to move the cars. Also, in the winter it would allow whatever we end up getting for snow removal to get right out the door without needing to back a car out into fresh snow just to get something out to clear the driveway.

The problems is that if I move the steps and build a workbench where the plastic shelves are now, there's not really a decent space to park bikes (or especially a lawn mower/snow blower) without them being in the way.
You've got plenty of overhead space along the walls, how about storage that starts at 6.5' and goes up? That liberates wall space for benches (don't really need much more than 18" deep, 24" at most, so that the benches themselves don't become junk collectors). Then you shouold have room for machinery and your roll-up door. Hard to tell without a floorplan, but that's what I'd be looking at. And with the expeosed studs, now is the time for mounting things up high.
changingground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #2283
sfd156
curiously curious

Oddometer: 214
Not much, but keeps me off the street at night
82 XL500 (winter/spring/summer/fall project)
sfd156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #2284
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,944
You need to post more pictures of your XL project in the XL thread.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:08 AM   #2285
men8ifr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowdave
What always surprises me is how bad the lighting is in most folks garage/workshops. I have three overheads, plus a few task lights in mine, but I think I need more. Its not as bad in the shops that are finished out and painted, but the ones with raw studs, or unfinished wood absorb so much light, it makes them feel like caves.

I have a barn I'm planning to convert partially into a garage/shop, and the biggest issue I'm looking at is getting enough light.
I put see through polycarb roofing (like a conservatory) on the entire roof of mine - makes a huge difference - you walk in expecting it to be dark and dingy and its daylight inside - great!
men8ifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #2286
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by men8ifr
I put see through polycarb roofing (like a conservatory) on the entire roof of mine - makes a huge difference - you walk in expecting it to be dark and dingy and its daylight inside - great!
The transparent polycarb roofing is a great way to let in light and heat. Here in Texas I try to keep the heat out of the structure. I've used the cheap
florescent fixtures in my garage. Windows are also a plus, but they eat up valuable wall space and let people see into your cave. I'm planning on using some film from home depot to give some privacy without blocking the light.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #2287
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
I'm planning on using some film from home depot to give some privacy without blocking the light.
I've got 50% bronze tint on my garage windows (including doors), lets in plenty of light and keeps anyone from being able to see in during the day (or at night if the lights are off). Looks good too. If you want to spend the $$$$ I'm sure that there is a "security" film that will tint 50%.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #2288
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210
I've got 50% bronze tint on my garage windows (including doors), lets in plenty of light and keeps anyone from being able to see in during the day (or at night if the lights are off). Looks good too. If you want to spend the $$$$ I'm sure that there is a "security" film that will tint 50%.
My windows in the garage are arched on the top. The window treatment person I used asked if wanted to get plantation shutters on my garage windows. I had just purchased some for the arched topped windows in my study and my wallet was still sore about that - no way was I going to drop that kind of coin for garage windows. Who spends that kind of money on plantation shutters for the garage? Well I started paying more attention to the houses around me and apparently most of my neighbors do.

Compared to plantation shutters, I could have the nicest window tint in the world installed on those windows and be saving money.

I joked that I was going to paint a scene of a clean organized garage on the windows so it looked like my garage was clean all the time.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 04-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #2289
TCSVN
...Stays in Vegas...

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha

The other thing I get every time I travel outside the US, is 'You can't be American. You aren't fat.'

Okay, I'm US and live in Italy. Went back for the first time in several years this past January. First thing I said to my wife on skype, "You won't believe how many really fat people there are now."

It's sad, really.

hijack off.
TCSVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #2290
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSVN
Okay, I'm US and live in Italy. Went back for the first time in several years this past January. First thing I said to my wife on skype, "You won't believe how many really fat people there are now."

It's sad, really.

hijack off.
No surprise here. I think Americans are fat for several reasons:

1 - A culture that seems to value quantity over quality. We have lots of cheap food buffets here. I think you see less of that outside of the US.

2 - Government crop policies that encourage the growth of grains and sugars (affordable grains make cattle, chicken, etc cheaper to grow). The result of this policy is foods with lots of sugars and fats are quite reasonable here while green veggies cost much more. Consequently you can get a $0.99 burger at the fast food place (supersize that for only $0.50 more!), but a salad would cost you $5 or 6 (and with the dressing its still not good for you). While I think we as Americans need to control a reasonable amount of our food supply (and these policies do help keep those crops growing here) it would be nice to see some healthier alternatives get some help.

3 - Risk adverseness means less exercise. You can't let your kids play outside anymore or you're an irresponsible parent. However, its fine to let them play 4 or 5 hours of video games with the bag of corn chips. I've all sorts of complete strangers warn me of the dangers of riding a motorcycle or bicycle. I've never once had anyone tell me that spending 3 hours watching the game in a bar with your friends is dangerous. The upshot - your safest sitting at home watching TV instead of being out there and doing just about anything. I argue its better to get hurt living then to live your life in front of the TV watching others do the living.

However, I think this Amercian lifestyle is being exported quite successfully to the rest of the globe. So, pretty soon every place is going to have fat people.

So, in those garage refrigs, lets stock some healthy snacks in with the quality beer...
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 04-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #2291
JR Greenhorn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
No surprise here. I think Americans are fat for several reasons:

1 - A culture that seems to value quantity over quality. We have lots of cheap food buffets here. I think you see less of that outside of the US.

2 - Government crop policies that encourage the growth of grains and sugars (affordable grains make cattle, chicken, etc cheaper to grow). The result of this policy is foods with lots of sugars and fats are quite reasonable here while green veggies cost much more. Consequently you can get a $0.99 burger at the fast food place (supersize that for only $0.50 more!), but a salad would cost you $5 or 6 (and with the dressing its still not good for you). While I think we as Americans need to control a reasonable amount of our food supply (and these policies do help keep those crops growing here) it would be nice to see some healthier alternatives get some help.

3 - Risk adverseness means less exercise. You can't let your kids play outside anymore or you're an irresponsible parent. However, its fine to let them play 4 or 5 hours of video games with the bag of corn chips. I've all sorts of complete strangers warn me of the dangers of riding a motorcycle or bicycle. I've never once had anyone tell me that spending 3 hours watching the game in a bar with your friends is dangerous. The upshot - your safest sitting at home watching TV instead of being out there and doing just about anything. I argue its better to get hurt living then to live your life in front of the TV watching others do the living.

However, I think this Amercian lifestyle is being exported quite successfully to the rest of the globe. So, pretty soon every place is going to have fat people.

So, in those garage refrigs, lets stock some healthy snacks in with the quality beer...
And here I got excited when I saw new posts in this thread, expecting to come in and see pictures of somebody's workspace...
JR Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #2292
jensht
Der geizige Schwabe

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
It is a really sad trend, one only has to look at the child obesity studies from around the globe.
jensht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #2293
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,679
Quote:
You can't let your kids play outside anymore
Well, I guess that depends on where you live. My kids practically live outside, summer and winter alike.

Schreckendgust Field
Florence, MT

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:12 AM   #2294
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
And here I got excited when I saw new posts in this thread, expecting to come in and see pictures of somebody's workspace...
+1 I'm with you on this.

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:56 AM   #2295
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Whats this got to do with "MAN CASTLES"
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote