Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #2701
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler
Wow! Me like.
Its an interesting thought. But, those things are only 8' wide, right? Most rooms in my current house are wider than 8' on the narrow side. I trying to visualize the layout of furniture in a bedroom 8' x 20' and I'm having a tough time.

I can definitely see it for a shop/garage/man cave-castle, but the whole house? I'm guessing being single would be a plus in this sort of dwelling.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:16 AM   #2702
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
I'm guessing being single would be a plus in this sort of dwelling.
The whole reason we have our shops and garages, AKA Man Caves.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #2703
hobie1dog
Not a Sheeple

Oddometer: 374
For container houses, they are commonly butted together and a plasma cutter cuts out two connecting sides to make a 16' wide x 40 ' space with little re-inforcement needed. You initially spend 2500.00 for a container that is 8x40.

The things you own, end up owning you-Tyler Durden
hobie1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #2704
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie1dog
For container houses, they are commonly butted together and a plasma cutter cuts out two connecting sides to make a 16' wide x 40 ' space with little re-inforcement needed. You initially spend 2500.00 for a container that is 8x40.
just like trailer homes - single and double wides...

I surprised I don't see more of them down here...
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 09-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #2705
propforward
Caught in the act

Oddometer: 12,254
I am commencing my own shop project.

I recently moved into a new place, which has a pole barn on the property.

I am going to frame part of the inside, which shall become a heated and air conditioned shop.

It's sparsely populated at the moment, which is just fine.

Basically, for now I am going to frame in two fifths of the pole shed, and leave three fifths for future expansion, and general storage.

I'm rather excited about it, I ordered the first $1500 of raw materials yesterday.

I ummed and ahhed about it, but have settled on sheathing the walls in OSB rather than sheetrock. While you can make the sheetrock look really really nice if taped, filled and sanded, I really can't be arsed, and I like the OSB for being able to screw things to it. Of course, it could still use bracing for heavier stuff like cabinets.

I have done my intial framing design, but there is more refinement needed yet. I have discovered that the 24" centers I was planning for the ceiling joists won't do, and it needs to be 16" centers.

It's fun learning new stuff.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #2706
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,429
One friend has an exterior style plywood bead board for his interior walls another has corrugated metal. Just throwing out ideas.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #2707
propforward
Caught in the act

Good ideas. I was considering using light gauge pre painted metal for the ceiling. Thought it might be easy to install and throw lots of light around.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #2708
Uthor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie1dog
[IMG]
My favorite thing about that house is the glass garage doors used on the ends. I read that they just open them wide in the summer for a massive open floor to the outside.
Uthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #2709
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthor
My favorite thing about that house is the glass garage doors used on the ends. I read that they just open them wide in the summer for a massive open floor to the outside.
Yeah, in the right area of the country during the right season, that would be wonderful.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 09-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #2710
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward
I am commencing my own shop project.

I recently moved into a new place, which has a pole barn on the property.

I am going to frame part of the inside, which shall become a heated and air conditioned shop.

It's sparsely populated at the moment, which is just fine.

Basically, for now I am going to frame in two fifths of the pole shed, and leave three fifths for future expansion, and general storage.

I'm rather excited about it, I ordered the first $1500 of raw materials yesterday.

I ummed and ahhed about it, but have settled on sheathing the walls in OSB rather than sheetrock. While you can make the sheetrock look really really nice if taped, filled and sanded, I really can't be arsed, and I like the OSB for being able to screw things to it. Of course, it could still use bracing for heavier stuff like cabinets.

I have done my intial framing design, but there is more refinement needed yet. I have discovered that the 24" centers I was planning for the ceiling joists won't do, and it needs to be 16" centers.

It's fun learning new stuff.

Yeah, T1-11 would look a little better on the inside - more rustic and should take paint better than OSB. But its maybe 2x the price of OSB.

Ok, I'm somewhat confused. Are you going to be building the framed object you designed inside the pole barn? If so, none of the wall members will be supporting anything other than the interior sliding. 24" OC should be plenty strong enough for that.

If you're just looking to finish out part of the inside of the pole barn, I would maybe do things differently.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R

Dahveed screwed with this post 09-15-2010 at 06:11 PM
Old 09-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #2711
zenben
all roads are one

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
That's a smart idea, supporting the unit heater from underneath.
Think I'll use that idea for inspiration.
zenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #2712
propforward
Caught in the act

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
Yeah, T1-11 would look a little better on the inside - more rustic and should take paint better than OSB. But its maybe 2x the price of OSB.

Ok, I'm somewhat confused. Are you going to be building the framed object you designed inside the pole barn? If so, none of the wall members will be supporting anything other than the interior sliding. 24" OC should be plenty strong enough for that.

If you're just looking to finish out part of the inside of the pole barn, I would maybe do things differently.
I'll look at that T1-11. I have 16 OSB panels but still need more, so I'm still open. Cost is a consideration.....but it needs to be good too.

Yes, the framed box is going inside the pole barn, but it has to support a ceiling and Minnesota capable insulation. I think 24" centres ought to do it, but according to the chart I used, 16ft span needs 2X6's on 16" centers, which looks like overkill.

On the other hand, over strong is OK and it didn't add too much to the cost. I now have sufficient 2X6's for the 16" centres.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #2713
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
I'll look at that T1-11. I have 16 OSB panels but still need more, so I'm still open. Cost is a consideration.....but it needs to be good too.

Yes, the framed box is going inside the pole barn, but it has to support a ceiling and Minnesota capable insulation. I think 24" centres ought to do it, but according to the chart I used, 16ft span needs 2X6's on 16" centers, which looks like overkill.

On the other hand, over strong is OK and it didn't add too much to the cost. I now have sufficient 2X6's for the 16" centres.
Well, over strong is a plus in my book. Insulation is light, but sheet rock is heavy. I've used this span calculator before.

It looks like a 10 psf live and dead load in SPF will use a 2x8 with 24" oc. But you'll have to be leery of sheet rock sag with 24" oc. If you're planning to store stuff on top of the joists, you'll need to increase the load in the calculation. Be aware that the calculator takes into account the grade of the wood and some grades are significantly more costly than others. It may be cheaper overall to go with a lower grade of wood, but larger dimension.

Also, its wise to have your ceiling joists on top of the studs in the wall. You're drawing doesn't always show those lined up. Lastly, code may require a double top plate. If you're doing the permit thing, then you need to check into that. Also window sizing may come into play if the space is conditioned.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R

Dahveed screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 01:24 PM
Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #2714
propforward
Caught in the act

Excellent, thanks for that.

I'm intrigued by this comment:

Quote:
I'm interested in any comments you have, because at this stage the design is still open for change if there's a better way to do things.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #2715
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Excellent, thanks for that.

I'm intrigued by this comment:

I'm interested in any comments you have, because at this stage the design is still open for change if there's a better way to do things.
Well, you may already be doing it. In your drawing here are the blue posts the existing barn poles?

If they are, then you're doing it the way I likely would.

Since the barn is already bearing the roof load, you can get by with 24" oc on the wall framing, especially if you're going to sheath the interior with . I would likely align the wall framing with the inside face of the posts and only use thicker lumber where required - around the window opening for example.

Are you planning to deck and store anything on the ceiling joists? If you are, be sure to account for that load in the span calculations.

In the photo of the exterior of the barn, there is a door and a garage door. What are you going to do with those openings? Your structure inside will prevent you from opening the door, won't it?

Overall it looks good.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R