ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #3316
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
It's for parking. Ball hits windshield, you're in.
Ha, I love that method, as a matter of fact, I need to put one up in our garage so my wife does not pull so far forward.

When I lived in Germany my car (91 Thunderbird) barely fit in my garage, I had to almost touch the front wall so the garage door would close. I used the ball/sting method like you have.

I ordered some lowering springs for my car and put them on at the auto craft shop on post. When I cam home I was slowly rolling into the garage waiting for the ball to hit the windshield and BAM, rolled right into the front wall. I was pretty unhappy with myself, but damage was minimal.
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #3317
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem
 
FreeTheBeast's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: +1.603
Oddometer: 2,963
Cool2 almost there...

I finally got a lift table for the bikes. I have wanted one forever.



I suppose that it is now time to take off the studded tires and tire wraps from the 450.

My garage is nice and deep. The the two four wheeled vehicles still fit in front of the bikes.
__________________
Think beyond yourself.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:10 AM   #3318
philgunn
BMW R80gs offroad + HP2
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Cork Ireland
Oddometer: 239
nice bike lift

What sort of money are they in the States

PG
__________________
Gunner

Eating Cheese , Drinking wine , catching some rays
philgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #3319
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
I finally got a lift table for the bikes. I have wanted one forever.



I suppose that it is now time to take off the studded tires and tire wraps from the 450.

My garage is nice and deep. The the two four wheeled vehicles still fit in front of the bikes.
I have the same lift, it has been great for nearly 4 years of heavy use.

I have a couple of suggestions:

Swap out the front tire holder for one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-96349.html


Also, make sure all the pivot points and joints are well greased, and the lift cylinder is full of fluid.

Finally, do not let it sit directly on your racedeck type flooring for long, especially when you put the feet down and weight on it. Use some flat steel or aluminum under it, or it will bite deeply into your floor tiles.

Nice garage, I am very jealous!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #3320
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
As for heat and AC I have not done anything yet. The shop never got any colder than 40 when it was 17 outside. A small space heater warms it up enough to work in. Eventually I will have to get heat by next winter. As for AC waiting to see if it gets really hot in there. I have eye on a small window unit if that is the case.
Just get a window unit that does both.

This somewhat shows my back wall. There are a line of 4 openings for windows with a 5th opening (right at the edge of the pic) in the middle for a combo HVAC unit. This space is 24' X 24'.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #3321
Skedaddle
just call me Lou
 
Skedaddle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: No Curvia, Illinois
Oddometer: 40
[QUOTE=RoyQ;This was a long time coming for me. 16 years of being cramped in a 2 car garage was stressful. Now we can park a full size pickup and Honda car in the house garage and open the doors wide open and walk all around them. The shop so far is working very well.[/QUOTE]

Enjoy it. time to fill that baby up.

I'll build mine eventually. It might be a Frank Lloyd Wright inspired model with a 30 year old oak growing in the middle of it.
Skedaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #3322
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer
 
BigEasy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: South of Indy in the hills
Oddometer: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
Thanks Michael! As for heat and AC I have not done anything yet. The shop never got any colder than 40 when it was 17 outside. A small space heater warms it up enough to work in. Eventually I will have to get heat by next winter. As for AC waiting to see if it gets really hot in there. I have eye on a small window unit if that is the case. One of the wall outlets near the window is wired for full 20 amps just for that. It is under shade about 75% of the time from the huge tree line to the south and really big red tops behind it to the west. So much shade the ground dry's extremely slow on he north side.

The Super Ténéré can't get here soon enough but considering the ordeal over there now I will wait it out.
Find a local independant HVAC guy to hook you up with a demo'd out central home unit. My guy is currently looking for one for me and he's talking like $1,200.00-$1,500.00 installed.
__________________
All who wander are not lost

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #3323
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer
 
BigEasy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: South of Indy in the hills
Oddometer: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgunn View Post
What sort of money are they in the States

PG
They typically run $350.00ish for the Harbor Frieght lifts like your asking about to several thousand for a Snap-On. Of course asking how much to spend on a lift is about like asking what oil to buy. The HF unit has been demonstrated by many to be serviceable enough for the typical home application. There are a bunch of choices in the $750.00-$1,500.00 range that seem to attract most folks.

I got lucky when I bought mine in that I found a used Handy air lift(thought by many to be the Gold Standard as they are used in alot of professional shops) with all the options for $500.00. These units are typically $1,500.00.
__________________
All who wander are not lost

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #3324
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,502
My castle is more of a shed. But it's better than what I used to have.

I just got this over the winter; still need to insulate and wire it up, but it's already proving to be a nice place to work.





__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #3325
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
Ha, I love that method, as a matter of fact, I need to put one up in our garage so my wife does not pull so far forward.
Me too. What is it with wives and pulling so far forward!
__________________
'03 ktm 640a
thechickencow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #3326
Adv
Adv
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: A&K Motorcycle Rentals, Brazil
Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
My castle is more of a shed. But it's better than what I used to have.

I just got this over the winter; still need to insulate and wire it up, but it's already proving to be a nice place to work.





Ohhhhwwwww! Very, very cool!!! Small but extremly functional. I'll take this idea to build someting similar in my backyard. Can you please tell me the measures of this "man castle"? Best regards!
Adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #3327
cat
Beastly Adventurer
 
cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Durban, South Africa.
Oddometer: 1,323
Yes, best "shed" ever. :)
__________________

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #3328
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
What is it with wives and pulling so far forward!
They're so used to being hit from behind.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #3329
Fictitious
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Fictitious's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: British Columbia
Oddometer: 202
Just don't try to do any welding in there :P
__________________
Stuff, as well as things
Fictitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #3330
justanotherider
justanotherider
 
justanotherider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I have the same lift, it has been great for nearly 4 years of heavy use.

I have a couple of suggestions:

Swap out the front tire holder for one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-96349.html


Also, make sure all the pivot points and joints are well greased, and the lift cylinder is full of fluid.

Finally, do not let it sit directly on your racedeck type flooring for long, especially when you put the feet down and weight on it. Use some flat steel or aluminum under it, or it will bite deeply into your floor tiles.

Nice garage, I am very jealous!

Jim
I too found the stock vise to be crap, and opted for a 'Handy' vise that works well for me. Otherwise, I like the lift...
__________________
justanotherider
justanotherider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014