Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #3391
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,929
Be careful about putting metal tools down on the mill table. You don't want to ding up that surface. Of course you can always oil stone it to make it flat again (and probably should) but some caution is always in order. We have made aluminum covers for all our tables (two pieces per mill) that cover both sides of the table when the vise is mounted.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:25 AM   #3392
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 942
Guy,
I noticed that you have the "same?" radiant insulation that I have. Do you find it to be a echo chamber?
I can walk from the origoinal shop (with normal fiberglass insulation) while talking on the phone..and just as I get into the new section you can tell a very noticeable difference.

Cant help but think its the insulation causing it. You run a 6 inch face mill up to 12,000 and ram it into a slab of 7075 and it sounds like a war zone!
I am buying a commercial foam rig and going to add 2 inches or so of foam and then rock it to settle it down some...or at least that is on the list..
Gary
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is - the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Winston Churchill
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #3393
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog View Post
Be careful about putting metal tools down on the mill table. You don't want to ding up that surface. Of course you can always oil stone it to make it flat again (and probably should) but some caution is always in order. We have made aluminum covers for all our tables (two pieces per mill) that cover both sides of the table when the vise is mounted.
Appreciate that, but I've been quite gentle in doing same. For being ~34 years old, the table is in remarkable shape (I think). There is one boo-boo where it looks like someone went through the material and put an approx. 3/16" dia. hole in the top of about an 1/8" depth. Looks like it was caused by a drill bit as opposed to a cutter. There are also a couple of scratches on each surface end from where the shipper had the table inverted on the pallet. Nails in the pallet that held the cross pieces worked on the surface during transit. They are really off to the ends of the table where nothing will ever be supported there, but I am planning on using a stone to take off the high places anyway - 'cause they "bug" me.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #3394
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
Guy,
I noticed that you have the "same?" radiant insulation that I have. Do you find it to be a echo chamber?
I can walk from the origoinal shop (with normal fiberglass insulation) while talking on the phone..and just as I get into the new section you can tell a very noticeable difference.

Cant help but think its the insulation causing it. You run a 6 inch face mill up to 12,000 and ram it into a slab of 7075 and it sounds like a war zone!
I am buying a commercial foam rig and going to add 2 inches or so of foam and then rock it to settle it down some...or at least that is on the list..
Gary
No No No No No........... I hadn't noticed anything like that.

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

Seriously, I haven't. I have no intention of sheet rocking the interior, but I am planning on adding foil backed fiberglass insulation this summer between the studs, and probably between the ceiling floor joists as well. I should be done with all the internal construction stuff by then, and it should help with the LP bill next winter.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #3395
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Appreciate that, but I've been quite gentle in doing same. For being ~34 years old, the table is in remarkable shape (I think). There is one boo-boo where it looks like someone went through the material and put an approx. 3/16" dia. hole in the top of about an 1/8" depth. Looks like it was caused by a drill bit as opposed to a cutter. There are also a couple of scratches on each surface end from where the shipper had the table inverted on the pallet. Nails in the pallet that held the cross pieces worked on the surface during transit. They are really off to the ends of the table where nothing will ever be supported there, but I am planning on using a stone to take off the high places anyway - 'cause they "bug" me.

Ok cool sounds like you know all about it.

I just see lots of people claiming to be good with machine tools who don't take care of ways and tables. Really??!!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:37 AM   #3396
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Last night was the next to the last piece of the puzzle being put into place.... and that ws the mounting of the power feed.

This is one heavy sucker and kind of unwieldly to try and get the key aligned correctly when fitting it up. Fortunately, I had a couple of guide studs I made back in the early '70s when I pulled a 4-speed transmission from a Plymouth Road Runner to replace the clutch. Suprised I still had them, they worked out great and handled the mass while I aligned the key.

Once mounted, I tried it out and it worked perfectly. I did not connect the limit rod (if that's what its called) since one one of the limit stops was missing and has since been put on order. The jib was then lubed up with way oil and installed. I adjusted it by feel for what I thought was correct - subject to further tweaking if necessary.

The final step was to shuffle it into place to where I thought I wanted it to reside. I also moved all my other machine tools on the same side of the garage so they were in the same place. The tool box on the right will contain all of the bits and pieces that will be needed for the SB lathe and the mill.

The rest of the shop was the rearranged so I got some working room back and keep all the nasty stuff away from the machine tools.

We're happy, and the VFD for the mill will get mounted and wired up Sunday. Only then will we be able to see if I scored. This will be the last piece.

My supervisor taking a break.

All of last night's pix start HERE.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:59 AM   #3397
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog View Post
Be careful about putting metal tools down on the mill table. You don't want to ding up that surface.
I made table covers out of 1/2" plywood. The runners on the bottom sit in the t-slots so they can't slide off, but can be lifted off to bolt something to the table.

PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:23 AM   #3398
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
I made table covers out of 1/2" plywood. The runners on the bottom sit in the t-slots so they can't slide off, but can be lifted off to bolt something to the table.

Perfect! Thanks for passing that along and think I will do same. While it looks like the top of my table isn't virgin to having things placed on it, I might as well protect it as much as I can to keep it nice.

And speaking of T-slots, where does one find the appropriate hardware to use in those slots to secure vises, rotary tables, work, etc. to the top? Or, do folks just use regular bolts with flat washers??
Old 04-09-2011, 04:56 AM   #3399
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
And speaking of T-slots, where does one find the appropriate hardware to use in those slots to secure vises, rotary tables, work, etc. to the top? Or, do folks just use regular bolts with flat washers??
Search for "Bridgeport clamping kit". Everyone seems to buy a kit that has t-nuts and a variety of studs, blocks, and clamps like this. All the importers (Wholesale Tool, Shars, Enco, Grizzly, etc) sell pretty much the same thing.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #3400
heliyardsale
Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer: 353
Here are some photos to dwell on. My shop, 30x40 pole style, still going through evolution. Messy and ready for Spring cleaning.

There is also a big Jayco popup camper and a few other benches in there. Of course a frig full of beer and coffee pot!

Heli (Doc Mike)
heliyardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #3401
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,028
ooooooo.... an ELAN!!!!

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #3402
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 11,806
I spy a 1974 KX 2fiddy.

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #3403
heliyardsale
Always looking for Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
I spy a 1974 KX 2fiddy.

Good eye! Actually, it's a 74' kx125. Someone threw lights on it, and registered it for road use in 1975! They also switched out the forks, guess what kind? If you look hard in the back of the shop there are two 75' Elsinore 125's a 73' Combat Wombat, a 68' Ace 100, two 67' cl90's, and two 69 z50's. They are burried in piles of parts awaiting restoration!

Heli (Doc Mike)
Old 04-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #3404
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 11,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliyardsale View Post
Good eye! Actually, it's a 74' kx125. Someone threw lights on it, and registered it for road use in 1975! They also switched out the forks, guess what kind? If you look hard in the back of the shop there are two 75' Elsinore 125's a 73' Combat Wombat, a 68' Ace 100, two 67' cl90's, and two 69 z50's. They are burried in piles of parts awaiting restoration!
I noticed the inspection sticker on the forks and the strange head light.

Are those Honda XL forks?

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #3405
heliyardsale
Always looking for Dirt!

The forks are Betor. Rumor has it they came off of a Can Am 125. The bike was given to me by a friend who owned a Kawasaki dealership in the 1970's. When he closed his shop he moved the shop's entire inventory into his farm house basement where it still sits! He has tons of 70's NOS parts and old bikes but won't part with anything! Makes me crazy! It's all just rotting away! He also has a new in the crate 1971 Husky 250!

Heli (Doc Mike)