Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011, 05:24 AM   #3901
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
Fuck Natural Gas Electricity is cheeper... Tell your dad I said to kiss my ass.
Jealous? I can only understand... I'm sorry to disappoint you. But electricity is more expensive to use for any kind of heating. In Europe it is. But that is, because we do care about our environment and sustainability and have to pay A LOT per Kwh (Kilowatthour) for non-sustainable produced electricity (read: produced from burning fossil fuels like coal and oil). Natural gas is cheaper for heating - I don't write it is more efficient for heating than electricity, but it is cheaper. And cleaner. That's a fact I can't change.

Choices. That's what it is all about.
I don't want to start a discussion about Kyoto treatings and important countries which act like World wide inviromental terrorists... Which should worrie all of us; no matter where we are born. We are al Earthlings after all...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #3902
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,184
Some awesome man caves have been shown in this thread, but yours just blows me away. And, to have built it to boot. Crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
Thanks, one thing for sure is that it makes you aware of how much labor is involved with the building of a house. Shortly after the slab was finished, I started to realize, still had no idea, just how involved and the unimaginable the amount of work and hours involved, I ended up having a big time anxiety attack thinking about what might be involved and have I wasted the very limited amount of money we had for the project. A good friend of mine living way up on the northern California coast who calls himself a "Wood Butcher" actually a craftsman advised me to not think about the project at all and follow the "You eat an Elephant one bite at a time" Philosophy, worked like a charm. No plans and each day just kind of figured it out for that day. When someone would ask things like "Whatsit going to look like" "How big is it going to be" Is it going to have a kitchen, etc. I would tell them that I did not have a clue and ment it. Again figured it out on a day by day basis. Initially it was just going to be a one story building to work on my motorcycles and stuff. I had all the windows way early in the project as I did a deal on a bunch of windows, 20 or so for $25.00 each, including the 6 5x5 double pane sliders long long before I had any idea as to how to use them. Was out there all day today snowing out and warm as toast with a roaring fire in the old $200.00 wood stove putting together the newest Man Toy.

BTW, you are more than welcome to stop over.

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #3903
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,216
Thanks for the complements guys, you have blown me away.

Here is a page in the build thread that you might find interesting.

http://www.motorcyclistcafe.com/foru...d-Barn./page50.

When ever you find your self traveling the White Mountains of Arizona feel free to stop by. You will have to PM me to get directions.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #3904
klrcraig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I have a Man Castle at last its my 30x50 motorcycle shop, I just can't wait to move in...
Attached Images

klrcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #3905
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
It may be my monitor, but, the left side looks bowed. A string line will tell the story.

And, termites take a while. It happened to me and a friend. The termites came up through the cracks. We, both, had to have our floors drilled, around the perimeter, for pest control to inject the soil beneath the pad. Good contractors, around here, always treat the soil before a pour.
One company was spraying for termites in all the houses under construction when my house was being built. 5 years later everyone gets a letter stating the termite company sprayed nothing and no one's house was protected. See that's how you make money in the GA.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #3906
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
One company was spraying for termites in all the houses under construction when my house was being built. 5 years later everyone gets a letter stating the termite company sprayed nothing and no one's house was protected. See that's how you make money in the GA.
What a shame.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #3907
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
R1200cl

[QUOTE=McJamie;17494457]...What amazes me is you have a 1200CL.! I have never seen one on the road. I'm sure they are out there, but not many. ....QUOTE]

Fantastic man-cave - this one wins!!!

I'd never heard of a 1200CL, so I did a Wikipedia check:
"In 2002, the R1200CL was launched followed by the R1200CLC. The CL version came standard with twin spark ignition, a six-speed gear box, exhaust pipe heat guards, adjustable rear shock, heel-and-toe shifter, a fairing with two-position adjustable headlights, two 12VDC power outlets, integral three-piece luggage, a removable top case incorporating a passenger backrest, driver floorboards, tachometer, clock, ABS braking system, cruise control, heated hand grips, heated seats and passenger grab rails. The CLC came standard with radio/weather radio, CD player, chrome alternator cover, chrome engine guards and chrome luggage guards. The fairing was unique in that the standard windscreen was M shaped and incorporated were four lights, two standard beams on either side of two stacked high beams. An alarm system, intercom and GPS were available as an options. There were two color-matched plastic wind deflectors on either side of the gas tank which house some electronic components, primarily the cruise control, and the alarm system. Unlike the engine guards on the C, the wind deflectors preclude the use of foot-rests on top of the CL and CLC engine guards."

Then - I do my weekly local Craig's List check to see what BMW's are for sale - and guess what shows up at the top of the list:
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/2722697996.html

Coincidence???? (I just can't see owning a brown motorcycle!!)
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #3908
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,882
Roadtrackandtrail.com has a couple of these (CL) , if anyone is interested .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #3909
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,579
Some progress. It should be done by next week!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #3910
propforward
Mime Hurler

Oddometer: 12,461
Lookin' damn good Jim!

Indiana Jones wears one.
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #3911
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Sadly nat gas is not cheap in some areas. In my area it's more expensive to heat with gas. It's twice the price of oil depending on your supplier. And all around me they are screwing up the area drilling and fracking the ground so they can pump the gas to electricity power plants.
Nice garage BTW!! And around here you can't have any pilot light appliance in a garage where fuel will be stored or fuel powered vehicles are. That must be a warm climate thing.
97 GG 250ec-for sale,, just email me if interested
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #3912
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Some progress. It should be done by next week!

Jim
If it not out of line to ask , what does a garage like that end up costing ? I am thinking of building one.
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #3913
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 980
Looking good from here also Jim.
Man law 101: No mater how tall your step ladder is..you will still need to step on the very top at least once a day
I need to get all of my pictures of the goings on here this summer sorted, and posted.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #3914
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post
Lookin' damn good Jim!
Thanks!

It is killing me that I am in California while it is going up. My realtor took the photo for me.

I'll take more on Saturday when I get home.

Jim
Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #3915
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
If it not out of line to ask , what does a garage like that end up costing ? I am thinking of building one.
Material costs about $5K to $7K. Labor doubles it.

Jim