ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #4216
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND
 
STANIMAL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
Thanks, guys.

I made the lift adapter. I'll take a pic this weekend and post it up. Next I'll have to make one for the KLX250S...

Ron
Thats bullshit , you cant get our hopes up and then throw us under the bus . We need you to make it commercially , so that we can buy it and it fits most bikes .
__________________
If it don't have tits, spark plugs or gun powder, it don't interest me. ---Moose Dog
If you don't organize your tools, you're a terrible person.---Aghartha
You twatwaffles who enjoy fucking duffelbags full of deer antlers, simply stay out of the thread. ---Hardware02
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #4217
P B G
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greater Chicago
Oddometer: 9,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Thats bullshit , you cant get our hopes up and then throw us under the bus . We need you to make it commercially , so that we can buy it and it fits most bikes .
And assume the liability if you have issues with your lift when you use only one side to lift several hundred pounds.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #4218
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND
 
STANIMAL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
And assume the liability if you have issues with your lift when you use only one side to lift several hundred pounds.
That's why we have engineers.
__________________
If it don't have tits, spark plugs or gun powder, it don't interest me. ---Moose Dog
If you don't organize your tools, you're a terrible person.---Aghartha
You twatwaffles who enjoy fucking duffelbags full of deer antlers, simply stay out of the thread. ---Hardware02
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #4219
P B G
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greater Chicago
Oddometer: 9,935
Yes, and the engineers from the LIFT manufacturers specify to load all 4 arms as equally as possible.

That said, the way he's doing it I am sure is safe, as I would imagine that in application this lift will support adequately a vehicle that is unbalanced by the weight of his bike... Probably.

But in engineering this product to do what it is doing, you would also be violating the engineering recommendation of lift makers.

You have to figure that lifts vary, for instance this is probably very OK on a 10,000 pound doube upright lift with a top beam, this may be very not OK on a lighter lift with a bottom plate, where there is no structure at the top to resist the two uprights coming together. In application the goal of a double upright lift is to have the force primarily going as evenly as possible straight down into the ground through the metal uprights, and not a force that pulls one side in and back.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #4220
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND
 
STANIMAL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Yes, and the engineers from the LIFT manufacturers specify to load all 4 arms as equally as possible.

That said, the way he's doing it I am sure is safe, as I would imagine that in application this lift will support adequately a vehicle that is unbalanced by the weight of his bike... Probably.

But in engineering this product to do what it is doing, you would also be violating the engineering recommendation of lift makers.

You have to figure that lifts vary, for instance this is probably very OK on a 10,000 pound doube upright lift with a top beam, this may be very not OK on a lighter lift with a bottom plate, where there is no structure at the top to resist the two uprights coming together. In application the goal of a double upright lift is to have the force primarily going as evenly as possible straight down into the ground through the metal uprights, and not a force that pulls one side in and back.
True , but I cant imagine that a 600lb bike will have such an adverse effect .
__________________
If it don't have tits, spark plugs or gun powder, it don't interest me. ---Moose Dog
If you don't organize your tools, you're a terrible person.---Aghartha
You twatwaffles who enjoy fucking duffelbags full of deer antlers, simply stay out of the thread. ---Hardware02
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #4221
P B G
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greater Chicago
Oddometer: 9,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
True , but I cant imagine that a 600lb bike will have such an adverse effect .
Ya don't doubt you.

Just have to think, if this is you engineering a product for sale, even with a disclaimer like follow all recommendations of llift manufacturer, ensure adequate thickness, strength, and integrety of concrete anchors prior to use etc. etc.

You have to figure somewhere out there lies the moron who figures that it might not be a bad idea to lift the bike swung to the rear fully and extended rearwards so that it is close to the work bench. And that this moron may also not have had the correct diameter carbide tip drill for the anchors they used, and elected to use the next one larger because they had it. And said person kills themself.

And their family tries to sue the lift manfucturer who goes, shit right here in my manual it clearly states not to lift uneven loads, blah blah blah. So they go, huh, this product allows uneven loading.


I think its damn clever, and will probably set about making a similar unit for other usages.

But if its a commercial produuct one might consider a table that utilizes two opposing lift arms or similar to atleast "bridge" the uprights.

Commercial products = gotta avoid the dumbnuts.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:29 PM   #4222
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire
 
Dusty_Bottoms's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Oddometer: 611
solved

put 600 pounds on the other side too

Dusty_Bottoms screwed with this post 01-31-2012 at 08:38 PM
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #4223
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
put 600 pounds are the other side too
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:33 PM   #4224
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND
 
STANIMAL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Ya don't doubt you.

Just have to think, if this is you engineering a product for sale, even with a disclaimer like follow all recommendations of llift manufacturer, ensure adequate thickness, strength, and integrety of concrete anchors prior to use etc. etc.

You have to figure somewhere out there lies the moron who figures that it might not be a bad idea to lift the bike swung to the rear fully and extended rearwards so that it is close to the work bench. And that this moron may also not have had the correct diameter carbide tip drill for the anchors they used, and elected to use the next one larger because they had it. And said person kills themself.

And their family tries to sue the lift manfucturer who goes, shit right here in my manual it clearly states not to lift uneven loads, blah blah blah. So they go, huh, this product allows uneven loading.


I think its damn clever, and will probably set about making a similar unit for other usages.

But if its a commercial produuct one might consider a table that utilizes two opposing lift arms or similar to atleast "bridge" the uprights.

Commercial products = gotta avoid the dumbnuts.
Indeed . Great idea though . Might build one for my DRZ .
__________________
If it don't have tits, spark plugs or gun powder, it don't interest me. ---Moose Dog
If you don't organize your tools, you're a terrible person.---Aghartha
You twatwaffles who enjoy fucking duffelbags full of deer antlers, simply stay out of the thread. ---Hardware02
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #4225
eddie98
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: WOODSTOCK, GA
Oddometer: 616
Can anyone visit the motorcyclist cafe? we might be in the area this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
The latest addition. Merry Christmas

__________________
09 DL 650,08 WR250R
09 KLX250S(gone), 03 R6 (gone)
04 WR 450(gone), 01 EX 250(gone),
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #4226
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Copperhill, Tennessee
Oddometer: 2,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie98 View Post
Can anyone visit the motorcyclist cafe? we might be in the area this summer.
Hi Eddie, the MC B&B, Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse is not really a Cafe or Restraunt or a Bed and Breakfast or for rent. It is something I have been building since mid '06 as my Man Cave but more importantly, it is something for members of www.Motorcyclistcafe.com, our little but fun forum. Visitors are always welcome, in fact more than a few Advrider members have joined the Motorcyclist Cafe. We have stuff donated from all over the world and a lot of members have donated a lot of time and effort to help with some of the more difficult items.

If you are comming thru this area let me know.
__________________
Dean O
BMW nut and Happy Camper
Copperhill, Tn.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #4227
McQuaid
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Oddometer: 2
this is where i spend all of my time......







McQuaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #4228
zDollar Bill
Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
 
zDollar Bill's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Miles away from Normal...
Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQuaid View Post
this is where i spend all of my time......
That is a great looking place to spend anytime, cheers!
zDollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:52 AM   #4229
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 46,940
I DID say SLOW build, right?

Well, after getting moved, always a major pain, and setting the house up with 22 sets of blinds, and buying new furniture, and putting up 19 pictures, 6 clocks, 2 TVs and numerous other things like shelving and hooks in bathrooms, I finally got started on the garage.

I got all the stuff moved to one side so I could start cleaning the drywall of messed up drywall mud and dirt. In a couple days I will be able to paint one side, and do the VCT flooring, then move everything and do the other side. (Exactly why I wanted to do this BEFORE we moved in!)

I expect to have some photos soon!

Jim

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 08:13 AM
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #4230
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I expect to have some photos soon!

Jim
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014