User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #4276
jbhawley
WTF- Gus?

Oddometer: 417
My Man Cave...

Here are a few pics that I finally got around to taking of my shop. I built this "detached garage" 95% by myself from 2005- 2006. The only construction that I did not do was the foundation brick laying and the concrete pad of the shop area. I had some help to hang the sheetrock and to pour the concrete driveway. Other than that I did it all totally by myself. Kudos to me...

Looking in from the overhead door. You can see the loft and elevator. After about 2 years I decided I wanted more floor space to store my pull behind bike camper and trailer plus other odds and ends that I do not use regularly...wheelbarrow, generators, etc. I decided to go UP rather than out. I made the ceilings 12ft high during initial construction so I could get a 10ft high overhead door installed as I wanted to be able to get tractors, big (grain) trucks in to the shop. My family has a farm and I am the defacto mechanic. Anyhow, this gave me ample UP space to build the loft. More later...

Opposite side of garage door. Plenty of lighting over my workbench. I made the under bench and wall cabinets out of 5/8 plywood cut with my skill saw. I did have the doors made by a cabinetmaker...thus the nice routed edges and raise panel looks.

Under the loft. Originally this shop was going to double as a pool house. So I added a double "French Door" for looks. I think I have actually opened that door twice since. NO POOL. I quickly talked my wife outa that idea...so we could pay off the mortgage. Smart move on my part..plus I get the entire shop to myself!

Elevator used to hoist things to loft. Constructing the loft is made as you would a first floor ceiling that has a upper floor (house type) using 2x8 with aventec flooring, etc...I am not sure the load capacity but its is substantial. My only real weight limitation is the elevator and hoist mechanism.

I had some 12 ga 1x2 tubing on hand so the elevator platform was made of that and OSB as the flooring. If I had to do it again I would use 3in channel steel to extra strength. I have never had anything to buckle the tubing as my pull behind camper is the heaviest item stored/lifted as weighs around 500#.

The elevator extension is used to allow my camper/trailer tongue to rest as I raise-lower the elevator. Notice the extra safety cables on each corner of the platform. The diagonal cables hold the extension level. You can't really see it but I have my bike lift (underneath) positioned so than when the elevator is fully lowered the main platform and extension go around the front of the bike lift. This makes it so I can have a bike on the lift and not have to move it or the bike lift to get something up-down from the loft.

Winch and cables that operate loft elevator. I use a 120v winch with 3/16 in steel cable (I think its 3/16. may be 1/4 in). Each corner of the elevator has its own cable attachment that comes together at this pull point. Double the winch cable to allow more pulling power and an aluminum block to connect it all together. Notice I have two safety cables from the winch to the block. I connect these whenever I am not using the elevator. It takes the tension off the main pull cables.

Each elevator cable has its own pull point at the each corner. From under the loft the cables go up into the attic and then back down to the elevator. This allows the attic ceiling joist to hold most of the weight and hides the exposed cables.

Notice the small kitchen area. I even have a range/oven back there. I never cooked anything but its there if I want too.

Needless to say...I had some really "head-scratching" nights trying to figure out how to engineer the loft elevator. A couple trial and errors and I had the winning design.

Loft Area. The vertical rails are used to keep the elevator in-line as it travels up-down. These are typical overhead garage door rails/wheels. There is not a ton of head room...maybe 4 1/2 feet so I have to stoop over to walk around. I have bumped my head too many times on the lighting.

Close up of the cable/pulleys. See the green pulley wheel. That is one of the cable pulleys. I used two of these pulleys from a John Deere combine that I had from an old spare parts box. You can see the cables that are used to hoist the elevator and how they run from the lower/ground level upwards. One set of cables goes around the pulleys for the front of the elevator (green pulley) the other set goes into the attic and then back down to get the leading edge of the elevator.

Latest addition...homemade no-mar style tire changer. I just made this over the past couple weekends.

"All the inconvenience and sweat and discomfort of body armor suddenly pales when you're sliding comfortably down the highway on all fours." -ghostdncr

jbhawley screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 04:45 AM
jbhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #4277
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,278
Re: Lights.

Right now I have only 2 48" double T-8 sets. My plan is to have 4 doubles, and task specific lighting as well. You can't have enough light. Since I painted half, it is amazing how a good semi-gloss paint can make the light much brighter! I'll see if I can get a shot of each side showing the difference.

Now, on to progress:

I didn't finish the VCT until today, but I have almost done photos! The paint is still drying in some of the photos, so it looks blotchy. It looks great today, but after I finished the VCT I moved all the stuff to the finished side of the garage.

Here are some photos of the work done to date:

Taped the line at 30" even, used a laser level from HF. Cheap at $45, but worked great!

Painted the top off white, and the bottom a custom color that is as close as I could get to the floor tile. After it dried today it is about a shade off, but damn close.

Next to the VCT. Keep in mind, I did everything you see here is from noon to 10:00 PM.

Started with the center front, and went back from there. Of course I shouldn't have trusted the contractor's centerline because it was half inch off by the other end, but it shouldn't show much.

The last shot is where I stopped last night. I finished the rest today.

So far I am pretty happy with it. I am going to go with a black stripe between the colors, and am adding black rubber base"board" all the way around.

This week I prep, paint and tile the other side.

Jim

PS What you see is about 40 hours worth of work.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #4278
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,410
Looking good. How are the knees holding up??

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #4279
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Looking good. How are the knees holding up??
Thanks!

Better than I expected, but I am only half done so far!

Jim
Old 02-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #4280
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,537
Wow -- very nice job!!

Like the colors too!

40 hours
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #4281
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc View Post
Wow -- very nice job!!

Like the colors too!

40 hours
And that is for just half. The fixing of the contractor work took the most time. That and my inexperience. The second half should take less time, I hope.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 02-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #4282
PackRat
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,449
Jim, you might as well go ahead and spill some Mobil 1 on it and get it out of your system!!

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #4283
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRat View Post
Jim, you might as well go ahead and spill some Mobil 1 on it and get it out of your system!!

Soon I am sure. My bike needs an oil change!

Jim
Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #4284
bosco
Raybanned

Oddometer: 11,632
WOW! That is 7 kinds of awesome. I've been thinking about something similar for years. Need to get detailed information....

Old 02-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #4285
Ranger Ron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
The shop is 40' x 30' with 14" ceilings.

Ron
I'm pretty short...

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #4286
jbhawley
WTF- Gus?

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
WOW! That is 7 kinds of awesome. I've been thinking about something similar for years. Need to get detailed information....
Just ping me PM and I can share...or I can do on the forum so all others can have details. It is pretty simple actually...once I got it all constructed and engineered. But as I said before, It took me many days and several attempts to get things correctly positioned, correct cable length, winch positioning, pulley positions, etc, etc.

"All the inconvenience and sweat and discomfort of body armor suddenly pales when you're sliding comfortably down the highway on all fours." -ghostdncr
jbhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #4287
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,486

Racedeck - $1,005 for my 12x24 garage. The trim for the exteria edge- $15= $1020 total.

Delivery - Free

5 days to delivery.

F*cking Permits- $175 for my new man cave.

$ 285 to clear up an old permit problem. YEEEEESH!!!!!!!!!!!

$3000 for slab
$7500 for prefab garage with better windows, upgraded trim work per wife's approval and overhead door w/transom

$500 for cupola
God only knows how much my weathervane will cost.
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #4288
Airjunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
What an incredible thread. Almost 300 pages of manland ideas! Some of you guys' have some awesome work spaces!

Our place has a 2.5 car garage. Being in an area where we get snow in the winter, I make every effort to clean out the garage so we can both park inside in the winter. Summer time my truck stays outside.

On the far right in this shot, the big black spot is the new air compressor sound enclosure I just built. Next to the golf cart is a work bench that has a band saw, chop saw & table saw on top, and a flux welder, arc welder & a bunch of parts storage. On the far left is the work bench.

In this shot you can see the wet suit rack & one of two of the paddleboards. Pretty much every wall is floor to celing storage containers too, Christmas stuff, camping stuff, etc. Snow blower & lawn mower between the cars. 21' Malibu boat is parked out on the side of the house. Beer fridge is just inside the door to the house. Not seen is the fact that my Chevy Avalanche fits in there too.

TV is over by the work bench. No room for a couch, just the bar stool.
Airjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #4289
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhawley View Post
Just ping me PM and I can share...or I can do on the forum so all others can have details. It is pretty simple actually...once I got it all constructed and engineered. But as I said before, It took me many days and several attempts to get things correctly positioned, correct cable length, winch positioning, pulley positions, etc, etc.
Post up for all to see!
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #4290
Ranger Ron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Lift Adapters

I posted a pic a while back about my lift adapter for the DL650. Here's the pic again:

I had forgotten to take pics of the adapter. I have them now and here they are:

Here's the adapter on the bike:

I also made one for the KLX.

In use:

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline   Reply With Quote