Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #4381
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,634
A little more progress today. I added the leftover floor moulding to the missing area under the man door.

Thanks for the great idea, it looks better in person.

I also cleaned my workbench and organized it a bit. Then used some extra tile for the top of it to cover the well worn and stained wood surface.

I know it isn't a typical work surface, but it is stain resistant and tough enough for basic work. Any hard hammering will be done on an alternate work area, or I will lay a pice of steel over the surface.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #4382
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,893
Costco had some really nice heavy duty workbenches for $200 . They're not too deep and work well for a residential garage .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #4383
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Costco had some really nice heavy duty workbenches for $200 . They're not too deep and work well for a residential garage .

I saw them. Similar to mine, two drawers instead of four, but heavier duty and thicker top. Not bad for the price.

For my style of work this one does fine. I use my MC lift as a suplimental work bench, and get out my beat up plastic folding table if I need more area.

Jim
Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #4384
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,594
This photo of ScooterAug's garage reminded me of my situation.

I'm lucky enough to be able to leave my roll up door open while working in the garage most of the time. This effectively blanks out a good portion of my lighting from the ceiling. Does anyone have any ideas on mounting lighting to the garage door? A coiled cord to supply power to them or ??

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #4385
roverchild
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
you guys sure do have clean shops!
don't laugh at mine
http://s1173.photobucket.com/albums/...t=131_4075.jpg
roverchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #4386
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post

I'm lucky enough to be able to leave my roll up door open while working in the garage most of the time. This effectively blanks out a good portion of my lighting from the ceiling. Does anyone have any ideas on mounting lighting to the garage door? A coiled cord to supply power to them or ??

I have that exact piece of exercise equipment temporarily outside my garage.

As for the lighting, I assume you mean at night?

I would install some foot level lights on the wall shining up at that big white garage door. That should give you great direct and indirect light.

Jim
Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #4387
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Does anyone have any ideas on mounting lighting to the garage door? A coiled cord to supply power to them or ??
I mounted another set, between the wall and the door tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverchild View Post
you guys sure do have clean shops!
don't laugh at mine
OMG! I think a bomb went off in there.

ducnut screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 09:42 PM
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #4388
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Quote:

Your lights plug in, turn them around so they are lengthwise. I have 2 end lights like yours then 8' running the opposite direction. Each side is on it's own switch & I turn them on as I need them

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #4389
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
It depends on if you polish them, or just put on a finishing fluid. Polished they are like any other wet smooth surface. Unpolished they grip pretty well.

I used a simple carpet knife and scored the tile at least 5 times, then snapped it off. Took about 20 seconds to cut each tile. If useing a power saw, you would want the teeth as fine as you could get them to prevent breaking off chunks of tile,

Jim
thx....
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #4390
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,980
I mounted lights on an angle facing in towards the work area. Also, not sure if you can see it, but there is a 2x12 across the door opening with a light on it. The door runs up behind it. This way there is light from all four sides.

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:53 AM   #4391
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post

Woodworking area? Close it off from the mechanical shop area with a wall, or build an additional separate space Dust collection system is fine, along with dust segregation.
In the previous picture you can see a curtain track with a tarp. Thats how I sectioned off my woodshop area too. Along with dust collection.

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:26 AM   #4392
Brunow - 007
Bantam Fever

Oddometer: 308
Nice big shop!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #4393
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,091
Thank you for all the suggestions.

I agree, I think the lift will be positioned on the right. I can get a tool cart to move tools around.

I would love to put a second garage door in but the way my property is, I don't think it can happen. I need to get a land survey. The left side of the garage might be back into a hillside about 6' deep. A garage door in the back of the shop would be nice also but the hill drops off back there.

I may put the garage in a different location on my property that will allow access from all sides, the down side is that it would be further from the house and getting power and water up there would be more work. As well as being further from the house would make me less motivated to trek up there to get work done.

As for a wood shop, I plan on using curtains like you find in a ER to keep the dust contained. I want to also make a wash bay just inside the garage door using a curtain also.
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #4394
roverchild
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
repost

Messy/Farm Shop

Slighly less messy auto shop

Upstairs wood shop

Shop in the very very early stages, this is where we plan to put a 50'x80' shop. heated and foam insulated with some big ol doors at each end. anyone know a good lift that will easily handle a one ton truck?

roverchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #4395
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:

I have the same diamond plate shop lights mounted in my garage. Mine are mounted directly to the ceiling and hard wired though. I have one row of three that are blocked when the doors are up also. I put those three on a separate wall switch so I can turn them off when the door/doors are up. The doors are only open during daylight hours anyway. Even though all the ceiling lights are wall switch operated I did keep the pull chains on all the shop lights so that I can turn on/off the lights in any location/order.

I think some sort of light mounted to the sides of the doors aimed where they are needed might work. Mounting an incandescent style lamp to the door will make for short bulb life from vibration of the door going up/down...I wouldn't even attempt to mount a florescent style lamp to a door for fear of a glass tube coming down. Mounting any light to a door just sounds dangerous, and most likely against building code.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote