Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #4531
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I don't really WANT to, but it beats paying somebody else to scratch my wheels up.
fixified
Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #4532
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post
My new 12x24 ManCave arrived yesterday-

They had it moved and installed in under an hour.

Finally got caught up on all 300 pages.

I see all the ones built with blood, sweat and tears and I think I would love the satisfaction of doing that.....feeling the pride in my work etc...

Then I see 'installed in under an hour' and I think, 'yup, that's how I'd roll'.

We'll done. It looks great.

Any additional details that you'd care to share? Lead time, process, pricing etc?

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #4533
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,581
Well, almost all of my drywall is up and taped. I should start mud tomorrow. I've rehabbed all my fluorescent fixtures, and swapped one over to T8 tubes. It's been a living hell trying to move, find tools and deal with the fluctuating temperatures. I've had an inmate or two helping which is much appreciated. I'm just hoping the light at the end of that tunnel is not the oncoming train! I'll have to reinsta my furnace, but that should be an easy task.

I even managed to score some older fluorescent fixtures from Dad, gave 'em a coat of Tremclad Gloss White and they'll be wired in by the weekend.

Next week I should be getting ready to paint, mill some baseboards and bumper rail and start figuring out where all **this** is going to go:

Wish me luck!

C
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #4534
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
Any additional details that you'd care to share? Lead time, process, pricing etc?

C

4-6 weeks but I ordered it off season. In season- they can deliver within 24 hours. The place I used usually has 7-8 different garages in stock but since I had to wait until February to order it, they had none on hand.

I paid $7500 for the garage and $3000 for the concrete slab. I was getting prices of 10k-15K for just the unfinished garage without the concrete. The Town charged me another $200 for the permit.

Is it perfectly built- no! I need to beef up the interior corners and door frames a little. I still need to drill into the concrete with anchors and add several hurricane straps. Could I have built a better model- yes but it would have taken me months to do. Since I actually work for a living, my weekend time is precious. 60 hour work weeks mean my evenings and weekends are meant for sleep and rest.

I should have the interior finished before the end of the Summer. For me, this was the best way to go.
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #4535
Colt03
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
LT

That seems like a pretty fair price for your new Man Castle, I have been shopping similar stuff here in CT and it seems like more $$, I'll keep you posted on what I end up doing.

Thanks,
2004 R1150GS
Yankee Beemers
IBMWR
Colt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #4536
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post
4-6 weeks but I ordered it off season. In season- they can deliver within 24 hours. The place I used usually has 7-8 different garages in stock but since I had to wait until February to order it, they had none on hand.

I paid $7500 for the garage and $3000 for the concrete slab. I was getting prices of 10k-15K for just the unfinished garage without the concrete. The Town charged me another $200 for the permit.

Is it perfectly built- no! I need to beef up the interior corners and door frames a little. I still need to drill into the concrete with anchors and add several hurricane straps. Could I have built a better model- yes but it would have taken me months to do. Since I actually work for a living, my weekend time is precious. 60 hour work weeks mean my evenings and weekends are meant for sleep and rest.

I should have the interior finished before the end of the Summer. For me, this was the best way to go.
Can it hold a car with the factory floor ? I assume its like a one car garage .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #4537
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Can it hold a car with the factory floor ? I assume its like a one car garage .
A small one- a Miata or Honda Sol. I don't know if I would put anything bigger than that on the floor.

It does hold my 800 lbs BMW LT on it's center stand quite well.

I bought it basically to store my bikes and miscellaneous tools. I'm going to finish it more as a clubhouse than a garage. At 12x24, it's just not that big a space. This was the largest size my town allowed me to go without the hassle of getting a variance.
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #4538
ghostrider.y2k
ride enything but HD

Oddometer: 871
Here is mine.The 11.5GSA is not mine.

"w strone slonca..........."
ghostrider.y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #4539
chilly_moose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
oh yeah

That looks very nice. Like a buffet
chilly_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #4540
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Making progress! Crack filling is mostly done on the North and West walls. I have some issues with my corners that I will resolve in day or two. Then I can complete the priming.

I also took some time to wire up a new fluorescent light fixture. It was FREE and it worked. Gotta love my pack rat father. There are still two fixtures to put up (and maybe a fourth) when I can get to that side of the shop.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #4541
KMS6
Mountains and Motorcycles

Oddometer: 103
Here's my cave. 24x32x9 .Wish it was a little bigger but it's easy to heat and very well lit. Great place to hang out and work on the bikes...any time...any season.

And a 24x10 heated storage area in back.

'05 950 ADV, '02 VFR 800, '09 Monster 696

KMS6 screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 02:51 PM Reason: add a pic
KMS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #4542
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Making progress! Crack filling is mostly done on the North and West walls. I have some issues with my corners that I will resolve in day or two. Then I can complete the priming.

I also took some time to wire up a new fluorescent light fixture. It was FREE and it worked. Gotta love my pack rat father. There are still two fixtures to put up (and maybe a fourth) when I can get to that side of the shop.

Looking good! Looks like a nice size place too.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #4543
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS6 View Post
Here's my cave. 24x32x9 .Wish it was a little bigger but it's easy to heat and very well lit. Great place to hang out and work on the bikes...any time...any season.

I like those windows, do they open or just sun lights?

I'm at the planning stages for a 24X24 and will be shopping windows soon. I would like to have mine open but high like yours on one wall.
BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #4544
KMS6
Mountains and Motorcycles

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
I like those windows, do they open or just sun lights?

I'm at the planning stages for a 24X24 and will be shopping windows soon. I would like to have mine open but high like yours on one wall.
No, they are just 16x48 picture windows. Probably would have been a good idea to have at least one window on each side open for some fresh air. I was just thinking about natural light and security when I put those in. I have an exhaust fan on the wall that with the door open will pull in lots of fresh air in just a few minutes.

'05 950 ADV, '02 VFR 800, '09 Monster 696
KMS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:22 AM   #4545
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Looking good! Looks like a nice size place too.
Its 20x24 - so its not huge. However, once its organized and I get some cabinets up, it should be a very workable space. I'm hoping that our part-time business continues to grow and maybe we can move the business into the garage and I can get a NEW one.

I'd asked Mrs. for a trip to the Kawasaki store, but that was quickly vetoed.