Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #4576
FixerDave
KLR650 - XR200R

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post

These are private, home-attached garages in most cases, right? Places where you park your car, or bike, or somehting of the like?

Most of these places have (WAY) more space and equipment than my dad's grotto of a shop, who's a car mechanic running his own business from when he was 25 until now past his retirement age (which in my country is 65 - that makes 40 years, right?)...

Seems to be a clear difference depending on which side of the ditch you are.. Still tho, great looking places, in fact, inspiring I would call them! Hope to be able to submit a photo or five in the future to this thread!
I suspect it's more a time issue than place. My father never really had his own shop... Yes, he had tools - a lot less than I have, and he did have places to put them. But nothing like even my shop, let alone some of the places pictured in this thread. He worked in other people's garages for a living. For fun, he built stockcars in the front yard... on a dirt driveway.

What we have now is modern manufacturing, containerized shipping, and, well, China. The wrenches my father bought likely cost more that what I paid for my last set. That's after 50 years of inflation; gas was something like 10cents a gallon. I probably earn more on my coffee break than he did for an entire day's labour when he was buying those tools. For a couple of hours wages, I can buy a new benchtop drillpress. My father never had a drillpress. People used to cobble together homemade drillpresses because they were too expensive. Counting the mill and the dremel, I have 4 drillpresses in a single bay garage. I, being nothing more than a backyard hack, have more tools than most retired mechanics had to earn an entire lifetime worth of wages. I'm not anywhere near rich. I can say the same about woodworking... I have stuff professional contractors would not have even dreamed about owning when they were working for a living... way, way too expensive. No way they could have earned enough to justify their cost. They're near disposable now. Same for metalworking... Yeah, mostly Chinese crap, but still as good or better than most of the non-industrial stuff that was available 40 years ago. We area a product of this new environment. Why not build a Man Castle? Cheaper than owning a boat.

David...
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #4577
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerDave View Post
I suspect it's more a time issue than place. My father never really had his own shop... Yes, he had tools - a lot less than I have, and he did have places to put them. But nothing like even my shop, let alone some of the places pictured in this thread. He worked in other people's garages for a living. For fun, he built stockcars in the front yard... on a dirt driveway.

What we have now is modern manufacturing, containerized shipping, and, well, China. The wrenches my father bought likely cost more that what I paid for my last set. That's after 50 years of inflation; gas was something like 10cents a gallon. I probably earn more on my coffee break than he did for an entire day's labour when he was buying those tools. For a couple of hours wages, I can buy a new benchtop drillpress. My father never had a drillpress. People used to cobble together homemade drillpresses because they were too expensive. Counting the mill and the dremel, I have 4 drillpresses in a single bay garage. I, being nothing more than a backyard hack, have more tools than most retired mechanics had to earn an entire lifetime worth of wages. I'm not anywhere near rich. I can say the same about woodworking... I have stuff professional contractors would not have even dreamed about owning when they were working for a living... way, way too expensive. No way they could have earned enough to justify their cost. They're near disposable now. Same for metalworking... Yeah, mostly Chinese crap, but still as good or better than most of the non-industrial stuff that was available 40 years ago. We area a product of this new environment. Why not build a Man Castle? Cheaper than owning a boat.

David...
Yeah, those are all good points. I was looking around at some machines for metal working (inspired by this thread), and you're right, they are definitely within easy buying reach even for me who wouldn't be using them professionaly. My dad's still operating his business, but he is a mechanic so he doesn't do the machining stuff very much.

Still though, there seems to be a definite difference depending on which side of the pond you are. Back home in Sweden, I could count on one hand the people who have garages like these where they live.. This thread has me looking at farm houses, not for the house mind you, but thinking how I could convert that 300 m2 barn to a place where I can play with my toys that I would buy!

Hmm.. maybe time to sell my boat..

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #4578
mellowdave
Красное октябрь

Oddometer: 153
Imworking through some things in my garage right now, it is totally man cave, I have a 50" plasma with a great sound system, I also have all my wood tools, and shop tools, but one thing I keep coming up against is HAZMAT. Do any of y'all have a HAZMAT locker? Do you keep fuel in the garage? I see lots of cans...

2000 Ducati 996::Several XRs
mellowdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #4579
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,515
I wish my Mancave was as nice as this:

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0">
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #4580
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,807
Progress has been made! Thanks to fellow inmate Slowphil for showing up and lending a hand today. Unfortunately, I had yet to make this addition before he arrived. I'll be better prepared next time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #4581
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,241
Hazmat? Pfht.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowdave View Post
Imworking through some things in my garage right now, it is totally man cave, I have a 50" plasma with a great sound system, I also have all my wood tools, and shop tools, but one thing I keep coming up against is HAZMAT. Do any of y'all have a HAZMAT locker? Do you keep fuel in the garage? I see lots of cans...
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #4582
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
I always say there is no such thing as a garage that's too big...here is proof.

http://gizmodo.com/5901333/million-d...ator/gallery/2

Tech23
GUESS YOU MISSED POST #4583

I kinda like the ones in folks backyards myself.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #4583
FixerDave
KLR650 - XR200R

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowdave View Post
I keep gas cans in a shed outside the shop, mostly because they stink. In the shop, I have oxy/acet, propane, and all manner of spray-whatevers. If it ever caught on fire I would advise any responding firemen to stay well clear. I wouldn't go near the place until it was cool. Basic safety rule... if you weld, grind, or do anything with a torch, you wait at least 30 minutes before leaving. Other than that, be careful.

In your shop, you must have some amazing dust control to be able to have a 50" plasma TV and do woodworking. If not, well, in short order that TV will be more of a fire hazard than any can of gas. Those TVs suck a lot of power and that equals heat. That heat has to go somewhere and that's not going to happen if it's caked in wood (flammable) dust on the inside.

I suppose it could work if you were all new-tech with complete dust control and ventilation, or fully old-school and worked with nothing but hand tools. If you're not at either one of these extremes, I suggest you re-think the TV... maybe bag it in plastic (while it's OFF) when doing the woodworking.

David...
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #4584
mellowdave
Красное октябрь

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerDave View Post
I keep gas cans in a shed outside the shop, mostly because they stink. In the shop, I have oxy/acet, propane, and all manner of spray-whatevers. If it ever caught on fire I would advise any responding firemen to stay well clear. I wouldn't go near the place until it was cool. Basic safety rule... if you weld, grind, or do anything with a torch, you wait at least 30 minutes before leaving. Other than that, be careful.

In your shop, you must have some amazing dust control to be able to have a 50" plasma TV and do woodworking. If not, well, in short order that TV will be more of a fire hazard than any can of gas. Those TVs suck a lot of power and that equals heat. That heat has to go somewhere and that's not going to happen if it's caked in wood (flammable) dust on the inside.

I suppose it could work if you were all new-tech with complete dust control and ventilation, or fully old-school and worked with nothing but hand tools. If you're not at either one of these extremes, I suggest you re-think the TV... maybe bag it in plastic (while it's OFF) when doing the woodworking.

David...
I hear you on the plasma, Its the handle down from the living room. I don't do anything other than basic hand tool work IN the garage, everything is on rollers so if the table saw or something like that gets fired up, I take it out to the drive way.

2000 Ducati 996::Several XRs
mellowdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #4585
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Why do so many people here have tv in the garage - in the workshop?

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #4586
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
I can't speak for everyone else but I would have to say background and ambient noise.

Plus its nice to have the weather channel going when you're packing your bike for a trip.
KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #4587
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:

well, i dont have one YET, but i have a couch, and there are plans for a TV, a heat source, and a fridge.

to me its the difference between a man castle and a garage. I stopped parking my truck in the garage to make room for a carpeted area around the garage couch. Its were i hang out when when im not bugging Lightwoman.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #4588
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:
So my woman won't complain when she has to hang out with me in the garage?
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #4589
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,807
Quote:
I'm putting one in when my reno is complete with a 5.1 Surround Sound system. Reasons? Well, I plan on spending a lot of my time out there. Now that I'm back to shift work, I need something to occupy me on my 4 days off. Little Stain starts school in Sepetember, so there will be a bit of free time.

The way I envision the Home Theatre system being used is for Raw GoPro video reviews with beers after a day of riding with the local inmates. A place to watch my New Yankee Worksop Videos. A spot to work on the bike and become inspired with shows like Mondo Enduro, Dust to Glory and yes, even Long Way Round. And then there's the tunage. I have a neighbor that like to play some really corny organ music when he's stoned. (And by play I mean HE plays and sings) so I need something that will blast Rammstein across the street and drown him out.

Remember, the Mrs will control what goes into and out of the house. I am the Master of my Domain, which starts at the 7' Garage door and ends with the man door at the other end.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #4590
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
mmm..Because you can..
Although I gave up my tv subscription 2 years back, I got hooked on the XM channels. So I got a lifetime package. We cant get land based radio up here so its almost a must have.
Plus when you average a 7-14 week for the last 17 years its nice to hear something besides chips hitting the window
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote