Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 04:34 AM   #5281
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 909

Aircraft hangar? RV storage? Indoor hockey rink?

My budget is less than 1/10 of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt View Post
Getting there (~$300k in):

Old 03-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #5282
Rottweiler
I'm a Believer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by atokad View Post
Best accessories in your Man Castle?

Here are a couple of mine. That air hose reel is the best thing ever! The winch/lift ain't a bad thing to have hanging around too.

Was wondering about the brand & size of that air hose reel. I've been looking at some and would like to get a good one with will hold a long reach of hose.

Real men wear boots. God is good.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western Civilization as it commits suicide." - Dr. Jerry Pournelle http://jerrypournelle.com
Rottweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #5283
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,689
Now that looks like a proper living room... um, garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabenho View Post

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #5284
mg66
Touring since 1976

Oddometer: 75
Nothing much but a vast improvement from this ...

... well I had an old slab out the back

And figured a portable shed would fill the order nicely

Now has shelving, racks, cupboards, lighting, power, grounded 15amp outlets to burn, beer fridge, solar backup lighting, a security system and a remote garage door so I don't even have to stop and open the door, just ride down the alley and into the shed.

It aint a lot but the bikes are now out of the elements with room to work on them that's definitely way better than the back path :)
2008 SV650S(T) - M4 Slip-on; K&N Air Filter-SV1000 Snorkel; PC III-GIPro/ATRE; Fenda Extenda; 07 ZX14 Shock; Givi E45 Side/Top Cases; MRA Vario Screen; Corbin Seat; Garmin Quest GPS; Nelson Rigg CL-350 Tank Bag; Grip Puppy Foam Grips; Powerlet 12 Volt Outlet; Touring Sprocket Combo; Buell Foot Peg Mod

mg66 screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 08:33 AM
mg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #5285
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 909
Best Accessory

Shop is still under construction, but so far this is my fave - a place to set down my beer if I actually have to do any work.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #5286
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,266
Nice to see big buck stuff down to just a motorcycle cover here.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #5287
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg66 View Post
Nothing much but a vast improvement from this ...

... well I had an old slab out the back

And figured a portable shed would fill the order nicely

Now has shelving, racks, cupboards, lighting, power, grounded 15amp outlets to burn, beer fridge, solar backup lighting, a security system and a remote garage door so I don't even have to stop and open the door, just ride down the alley and into the shed.

It aint a lot but the bikes are now out of the elements with room to work on them that's definitely way better than the back path :)
That is awesome. Minimal but still gets the job done! I like it. And since its not a permanent building they shouldn't be able to tax you for it. At least in my township if it's one of those portable sheds it's not taxable.
Poweranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #5288
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler View Post
Was wondering about the brand & size of that air hose reel. I've been looking at some and would like to get a good one with will hold a long reach of hose.
Free plug for these guys: http://www.maxtool.com/us/products/CP3689.asp
I haven't had it that long and so I cannot attest to the long term durability of the internal spring mechanism or quality. But thus far, it seems to work great. It get's light use around my garage and I expect it to last a long time for me. Not sure it it would hold up in a shop for industrial use over a long period? I am guessing the internal spring component could be replaced if it went bad and the only other part to worry about would be the air hose itself, which seems to be a nice quality rubber hose.

WARNING: Make sure you buy the length you really need. A 50' hose cannot be threaded onto a reel that came with the 25' hose on it. (DAMHIK) The inner hub on the 25' hose reel is larger to accommodate a shorter hose. I had a nice 50' hose I wasn't going to be using anymore and bought the 25' reel since it was less money and planned to put my 50' hose on it. But, due to that larger inner hub when my 50' hose was wound up on the reel it "spilled" over the top of the outer discs and it couldn't wind all 50' of hose onto the 25' reel. Confusing, I know, just trust me on this one. Part of my need for the 50' though was due to the fact that it hangs 10' high off the garage floor in the rafters.

They were great about the return/exchange, but I had to pay the shipping back which really "killed" the price. These things are heavy. Tried to sell it locally on CL first, but there were no takers so I had to ship it back and exchange it for the 50' within the 30 day exchange policy.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #5289
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aanarchy View Post

Aircraft hangar? RV storage? Indoor hockey rink?

My budget is less than 1/10 of that.
Fabrication shop but alas $300k is only ~35% complete.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=5022
jasonmt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #5290
Rottweiler
I'm a Believer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by atokad View Post
Free plug for these guys: http://www.maxtool.com/us/products/CP3689.asp
I haven't had it that long and so I cannot attest to the long term durability of the internal spring mechanism or quality. But thus far, it seems to work great. It get's light use around my garage and I expect it to last a long time for me. Not sure it it would hold up in a shop for industrial use over a long period? I am guessing the internal spring component could be replaced if it went bad and the only other part to worry about would be the air hose itself, which seems to be a nice quality rubber hose.

WARNING: Make sure you buy the length you really need. A 50' hose cannot be threaded onto a reel that came with the 25' hose on it. (DAMHIK) The inner hub on the 25' hose reel is larger to accommodate a shorter hose. I had a nice 50' hose I wasn't going to be using anymore and bought the 25' reel since it was less money and planned to put my 50' hose on it. But, due to that larger inner hub when my 50' hose was wound up on the reel it "spilled" over the top of the outer discs and it couldn't wind all 50' of hose onto the 25' reel. Confusing, I know, just trust me on this one. Part of my need for the 50' though was due to the fact that it hangs 10' high off the garage floor in the rafters.

They were great about the return/exchange, but I had to pay the shipping back which really "killed" the price. These things are heavy. Tried to sell it locally on CL first, but there were no takers so I had to ship it back and exchange it for the 50' within the 30 day exchange policy.
Thanks for the info. I need prolly 100' or more on when I have to run the hose outside to service a tractor or other oversize piece of equipment. So I guess I'll just have to keep an extension hose lying around and click it on for those times.

Real men wear boots. God is good.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western Civilization as it commits suicide." - Dr. Jerry Pournelle http://jerrypournelle.com
Rottweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #5291
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler View Post
Thanks for the info. I need prolly 100' or more on when I have to run the hose outside to service a tractor or other oversize piece of equipment. So I guess I'll just have to keep an extension hose lying around and click it on for those times.
They have 100' reels.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #5292
mg66
Touring since 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
That is awesome. Minimal but still gets the job done! I like it. And since its not a permanent building they shouldn't be able to tax you for it. At least in my township if it's one of those portable sheds it's not taxable.
Correct-a-mundo, no property tax :)
2008 SV650S(T) - M4 Slip-on; K&N Air Filter-SV1000 Snorkel; PC III-GIPro/ATRE; Fenda Extenda; 07 ZX14 Shock; Givi E45 Side/Top Cases; MRA Vario Screen; Corbin Seat; Garmin Quest GPS; Nelson Rigg CL-350 Tank Bag; Grip Puppy Foam Grips; Powerlet 12 Volt Outlet; Touring Sprocket Combo; Buell Foot Peg Mod
Old 03-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #5293
mr_magicfingers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Well after years of having either no garage, a tiny 1-car garage or, as currently, just a cover over the bike, I'm about to get a mancave :)

My girlfriend and I are buying a small farm in Devon, UK, and opening a campsite, a business we hope will provide us with an income and a lifestyle rather different to the crazy businesses we've been in for the past 20 years.

There are a number of outbuildings, one of which has been earmarked just for me . It's an old cow byre with a relatively new building on top.

I'm going to divide it into two sections with a stud wall, one end with be my workshop for woodworking and other hobbies etc and the other end will be mechanicking workshop.

The woodwork shop will be this end. Plan is to put beams across and a suspended wooden floor over the old floor, put some extra windows in the walls, add some studding and insulate the heck out of it, possibly with spray foam insulation which will seal it at the same time, then board out the interior with plywood/plasterboard/tongue&groove etc. The bright spots you see on the walls are where the knot holes have fallen out of the timber cladding over time. Not sure how best to fix that or whether to just foam the walls and trim off any bits that blow through.

There's an old woodburner sitting in there that just needs a flue fitting. Given that the farm has 7 acres of woodland on it, I should be able to heat the place for free too.

The other end will keep it's current floor and be the mechanic section where vehicles can be driven in and worked on.

Oh and no I don't get to keep the current owners MGB ;

Should keep me busy for a while.
mr_magicfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #5294
mg66
Touring since 1976

Good luck on the endeavor.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #5295
dukethedog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
12 years in the making, and will never be finished....

This shop has survived three marriages. My second wife said "what the hell do you need all those bikes for? You need to get rid of them and grow up!." What was her name, anyway?? Cant recall.....

01' HD Heritage Springer
09' Bimota DB7
dukethedog is offline   Reply With Quote